Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember a few months ago we saw a growth on Tundra's belly. The vet looked at it and thought it was a skin tag, said to watch it and we'd remove it when he had his dental in a couple of months. This way we didn't have to put him under twice. So we watched it and it didn't change. He went for his dental and comprehensive exam and tag removal a few weeks ago. This was a different vet, same office. He also thought it was a skin tag. It was loose and not solid, not bothering him.

We had the removed area sent off to be tested so we would know what it was. I don't have to tell all of you how spendy these babies can be- but they are priceless. I got a call from the vet when the results were in, and I expected to hear it was benign. That was not the news. It was a mast cell tumor, low grade, good margins on the removal. We were all surprised, but glad to know it was cancerous so we can watch for more; and even more glad to know they got clean margins and hopefully that's all he has.

I know they are prone to cancers and other things. I wanted to share in case anyone has a similar situation where they think it's a skin tag...I hope it is for you, but it could be something else entirely.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wow. That's interesting. The one I had removed from Zuke was classic MCT, got big, then got small, then got big, then small, etc.. Kind of how we knew what it was before it was even sent out. Glad they got clean margins and low grade.(y)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am so glad they were able to get clean margins and you had it removed. I try to check my dogs regularly when I groom them looking for any weird growths. Who would have thought a skin tag? Maybe the best policy is getting rid of anything that comes up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am so glad they were able to get clean margins and you had it removed. I try to check my dogs regularly when I groom them looking for any weird growths. Who would have thought a skin tag? Maybe the best policy is getting rid of anything that comes up.
We found that the MCT had a rose-coloured hue to it. Our dog Mia had one on her forearm and another on the flank. Removing them sooner is better than later, especially on the forearm since there isn't a lot of extra tissue to close up.

Attached is the before & after of the one on her forearm.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Awe poor baby, I had some removed from my older boxers it seems the older they get the more those things show up. Some of the ones I had removed were black in color my Vet told me the ones on the feet and chest area and legs were usually the ones to worry about. I am so glad you were able to get that thing off hopefully the healing will go quickly. I had the worst time with one of my boxers he had one come up on the side of his back foot I had it lasered and removed they got good margins but he was awful about leaving it alone to heal ended up going back and get it restitched there just isn't a lot of flesh there to hold. Hope your baby does well

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. That's interesting. The one I had removed from Zuke was classic MCT, got big, then got small, then got big, then small, etc.. Kind of how we knew what it was before it was even sent out. Glad they got clean margins and low grade.(y)
Thanks! Glad Zuke is doing well now too!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, as best as we can for sure! I check every bump on them- is it a tick (they have treatment but still..), is it a sore from playing or trees, is it a mass- if so, is it solid....I bet many on here do the same.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We found that the MCT had a rose-coloured hue to it. Our dog Mia had one on her forearm and another on the flank. Removing them sooner is better than later, especially on the forearm since there isn't a lot of extra tissue to close up.

Attached is the before & after of the one on her forearm.
Wow- good thing they got clear margins and that's does seem like a lot of tissue for the size. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for sharing the photos and about the color too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow- good thing they got clear margins and that's does seem like a lot of tissue for the size. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for sharing the photos and about the color too.
I hesitated about removing the one on the forearm as it was hard to imagine how it could be closed up - plus she's 9 1/2. The vet said that he would do it if Mia was his dog, so I agreed. Things were really tight at first and the stitches became quite embedded, but it has healed up nicely.

Back in July it just seemed to be a lipoma so I didn't look at it too closely, but from now on I'd inspect lumps and bumps every 6 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts