Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 5 year old withe boxer who was just diagnosed today with a mast cell tumor. It was aspirated and looked under microscopic by vet. She wants it removed immediately it's the size of a small lime. She suspects it's cancerous. He's had it for about a year but his regular vet thought it was allergies. He's been on Benadryl now for allergies for about 3 months and I did notice it shrank. Here's the question should it be removed and then start on Tagamet and Benadryl regimen that I read about here on forum. Or leave it alone and start on Tagamet and Benadryl. Surgery will be between $600 to $800. He has no insurance.. Financially this is very difficult for us because I'm not working at the moment. Will return to work in august.

Thank you will appreciate any advice.

Irma

Sent from my iPad=

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Did your Vet send a sample of the fine needle aspiration out for histological examination or is your Vet just guessing its a MCT? If it wasnt sent off for further testing it just means the stained sample the Vet looked at under the microscope might be MCT. To get a definite diagnosis and to know what you are up against histological examination is required. To the Vet some of the cells might looks suspicious so they assume based on the breed and the "look" of the tumor what it might be. Frankly some Vets dont even know how to do a Fine Needle Aspiration correctly. If the sample tissue is expressed from the needle too quickly it can damage the cells thus not being able to give an accurate evaluation.

I wouldnt do anything until the tumor is removed surgically and a sample of the tissue sent out for a histological examination. Once the results come back you will have a definite diagnosis and will know how to proceed from there.

Benadryl and Tagamet are for MCTs yes, however you arent even sure if it is a MCT so no need to start something unless you know for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did your Vet send a sample of the fine needle aspiration out for histological examination or is your Vet just guessing its a MCT? If it wasnt sent off for further testing it just means the stained sample the Vet looked at under the microscope might be MCT. To get a definite diagnosis and to know what you are up against histological examination is required. To the Vet some of the cells might looks suspicious so they assume based on the breed and the "look" of the tumor what it might be. Frankly some Vets dont even know how to do a Fine Needle Aspiration correctly. If the sample tissue is expressed from the needle too quickly it can damage the cells thus not being able to give an accurate evaluation.

I wouldnt do anything until the tumor is removed surgically and a sample of the tissue sent out for a histological examination. Once the results come back you will have a definite diagnosis and will know how to proceed from there.

Benadryl and Tagamet are for MCTs yes, however you arent even sure if it is a MCT so no need to start something unless you know for sure.

She said she wasn't sure but didn't like the way it looked under microscope and that we wouldn't know until after it was removed and sent to lab.

Thank you for your advice

·
Registered
580 Posts
There are a number of topics on it on this forum but it is a diet consisting of raw meat. It has numerous health advantages. Just follow the how to guide and do your research and you'll never want to go back to kibble!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My boy Max had a growth that was the size of a large red bean removed. It was a low grade 2 MCT with clean margins. I feel like we were very lucky. So far it's not trying to come back. Our vet said it was best to just remove it instead of taking a chance aspirating and possible releasing the cells from the sac they were encapsulated in and allowing it to spread further. Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Keep us posted and let us know the pathology results. Joannb is correct in fact that FNA of a MCT can sometimes cause the tumor to release a large amount of histamines.

One other thing good about having a histological exam of the tumor is that you will know exactly what type of cancer and what stage and grade which is very important when choosing treatment(s). One thing that shocks people after surgery is that the incision site is very large compared to the size of the tumor. Thats because MCTs have "tendrils" or little fingers that spread out from the main tumor site. What you see ion the surface most likely is not the entire size of the tumor. Surgeons usually try to take 3 cm of healthy surrounding tissue to get clean margins. Most other skin tumors other than MCTs dont need such a wide clean margin line. Sometimes they have to go fairly deep as well to ensure they have gotten as much as possible.

I really hope you opt for the surgery, with a tumor that large is quite serious. Where exactly on the body is the tumor located?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Keep us posted and let us know the pathology results. Joannb is correct in fact that FNA of a MCT can sometimes cause the tumor to release a large amount of histamines.

One other thing good about having a histological exam of the tumor is that you will know exactly what type of cancer and what stage and grade which is very important when choosing treatment(s). One thing that shocks people after surgery is that the incision site is very large compared to the size of the tumor. Thats because MCTs have "tendrils" or little fingers that spread out from the main tumor site. What you see ion the surface most likely is not the entire size of the tumor. Surgeons usually try to take 3 cm of healthy surrounding tissue to get clean margins. Most other skin tumors other than MCTs dont need such a wide clean margin line. Sometimes they have to go fairly deep as well to ensure they have gotten as much as possible.

I really hope you opt for the surgery, with a tumor that large is quite serious. Where exactly on the body is the tumor located?
I'd forgotten that the vet told me that Max's MCT hadn't started sending out tendrils yet. His is healing very nicely, and it likes his hair may actually do a combover which will cover most of the scar (he's got a gorgeous thick coat).

·
Registered
872 Posts
My max had a MCT tumor removed from the tip of his tail. The vet got clean margins and all is good. It took a long time to heal because of the location. He would not leave it alone. His fur is growing back and has healed nice. I'm always on lump and bump patrol. This is common in boxers. So always be on the lookout . sending good vibes!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
lol combover!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That's what the tip of baby Zoe's tail looks like. It's so funny when she gets super excited and the fur on the end of her tail fluff's out like a reddish brown dandilion - I've never noticed Max's looking like that LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good morning Everyone,
Thank you very much for all the advice. He will have his surgery next week. It's on his left shoulder. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update...Bleu had surgery yesterday he is doing well. Just waiting for results.
Tech said he had been sad all day up until he saw me.
This is Bleu with tech while I'm getting his paperwork lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts