Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we scheduled his first vet visit for this Wednesday to update his shots but when I got home from school Maverick had been vomiting clear substance with some white mixed in. As he doesnt eat or drink much to begin with and is lethargic i began to worry and called the vet. They told us to bring him in right away which we did. The vet weighed him (22lbs @15 weeks of age, is this normal?) and they took blood samples.

Everything was going ok but then the vet came out and started trying to get us to purchase xrays for him and things. If i had thought they would have benefitted Mav I would have paid for them but I was quite clear with the vet that all his toys were accounted for and he is crated when not in our immediate site (The vet kept suggesting he had eaten part of one of his toys). I told the vet to wait and let us see how things go over night and if it was still bad id get the xrays. At that point the vet said oh btw the white stuff was just bile and his blood came back normal. My boyfriend has been concerned about a lump that is getting bigger on Mav's ear and when he asked about it the vet brushed it off as a benign tumor (Scared the hell out of me to hear that word) but gave no more explaination. He said he was closing and since the blood work was fine just come back on wednesday with a stool sample unless he gets worse, then take him to an emergency place right away. I was in a matter of 10 mind and paid $150....If all my concerns had been addressed I wouldnt have minded but he did not want to talk about any of my concerns at all except the vomitting. Am I just being really stuck up or something or is this how all vets act?

When i asked about giving mav cooked meat to get his appetite up he said i should never give a dog human food because theyll get fat and suggested not feeding holistic food such as merrick or canidae. Needless to say my boyfriend was pissed off. They also want me to bring my cat in when maverick comes for his shots because i mentioned that he is a Himalayan and cant really get up on the table well to eat since they suggested feeding the cat on the table so Mav cant get the food....I was saying he is chubby and short legged but my Boyfriend thinks they just want to sell us reduced diet food?

Am i being too picky?
I would switch vets right now but we dont have a car at the moment and this vet is the only one in walking distance.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
If it were me i would find another vet. He doesnt seem to qualified, but i am NOT a vet so i could be wrong. I wouldnt like the fact that he wouldnt address any of your concerns. It sounds like he is trying to push things on you to get the bill up that arent neccessary. Once again i could be wrong-IF it were me thought i would kiss that vet good bye and find a new one.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
wow so sorry you had such a bad time. I agree though....find a new vet. Good luck and keep us updated on your poor baby. As far as the weight goes Chance weighs 30 pounds at 16 weeks....but he was quite little a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, your vet sounds like he's in it for the money first of all, doesn't have a real compassion for his patients and definitely doesn't want to hear anything that is contrary to what he knows...Yes, I would definitely be looking for another vet as soon as you can...He is right tho, the foamy vomit is just bile, which is ok, and his blood workup was allright?

As for the lack of appetite, you may have to entice Maverick to eat for a bit..Keep it bland, maybe some boiled chicken and white rice, maybe a teaspoon of plain, low fat yogurt, scrambled egg plain...Keep an eye on him and if you go back in on Wed for his shots and he's not better, start asking more questions. But I would definitely be leery of purchasing x-rays and such, can't see the need right now..

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that advice. I knew the xrays were just to get the bill up so i said no but i felt the blood workup could be helpful in finding why he doesnt eat or is so tired all the time. the blood workup came back perfect and he said that Mav looks just fine and healthy other than not eating and sleeping a lot. Mind you he has only been here a week and it has been a big change i suppose. Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Ugh...yes I agree, find another vet. Not fun, I know. I need to find one myself.  :(  As for the throwing up bile, give him some plain lowfat unsweetened yogurt and that should stop it. Maddie has the same problem. If I don't give her yogurt every night she will throw up bile, guaranteed.
I also agree with Willow to start him on a bland diet of the boiled chicken and rice.
Good luck and I hope Maverick feels better soon.  :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think all vets will try and push their food on you. But telling you not to feed merrick or canidae is a huge warning flag.
Even my vet said Canidae was a great choice, before pushing his brand on us. lol

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sorry your visit did not go well.  It's a shame that a vet puts money above your puppy's well being.  I'd definitely find someone who actually cares about his/her patients.  Knocking good pet foods would be my first clue that that vet has a self-serving agenda.  I'm surprised he didn't ask for a stool sample first, as many puppies have parasites that can interfere with appetite and general well being.  I thought that was just standard procedure for puppies before blood work and/or x-rays.  What are they x-raying for anyway???  Hope you little guy feels better soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, me and that vet bumped heads almost right away. It got to the point he really didn't wanna talk to me anymore and kinda "closed things up". He asked for a stool sample next time we come in. Which is fine by me, but I knew from the jump he was really trying to sell his dog food and x-rays. I asked the guy point blank, why am I gonna pay for a x-ray when if its pointless its a complete waste of time and money. Before the blood came back he was pitching his x-rays. So we will be searching a new vet, the lady who lives in own building and owns 'Stormy", fawn boxer goes to one fairly close we'll be checking out after Mav gets his second shots and deworming.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi...to answer your vet. question...NEITHER of my vets act that way!!  If I have a concern, they listen and answer...there is no dismissing my concerns or anything!  It is like my childrens pediatrician.....his listens to anything, answers anything and makes all the time in the world for me!  When I read your email....I immideatly thought what a bad vet.!  Gosh I hope your pup is better!  Like kids, it is hard to see them sick!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I agree with everyone, find a new vet.  He sounds like the first vet I took Lola too...after 3 visits I switched to a smaller, more personal vet.  
When Lola gets sick or won't eat I give her boiled chicken breast and boiled white rice.  I've been to 2 vets and they both recommended it.  When he's eating and feeling better start mixing it in with his regular food, then eventually you're back to all kibble.
Good luck with everything!  Hope Maverick's feeling better soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts