Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried this dog food or feed it to their boxer? It's from "Royal Canin". It's a dog food JUST FOR BOXERS... but I was wondering if it's as wonderful as they seem to say it is. Of course it says not to start feeding till 15 months of age but I just saw it on the back of a magazine... and was wondering if anyone here uses it or has tried it... or knows someone who has.

If you have no clue what I'm talking about here's a link...
http://www.royalcanin.us/dogfood/boxer.html

I figured, where better to ask then a boxer forum!?  :wink:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="BoxerForums\";p=\"5880":23w7k8ri] She also eats sticks and dirt, so who knows

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used it for a week and although my bigger boxer loved it, my smaller girl didnt.  The kibble is so big and it was hard for her to eat so we would soften it with water and it turns out because it contains Citric acid that can give them bloat.  It caused her to have some vicious gas for a few days.  haha

I did take them off and switch them to Solid Gold.  LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah... well on the back of the magazine I was like "WOW!" breed specific?! I think it's more 'size' specific then anything cuz the kibble looks different from the MINI, MEDIUM, and MAXI. Though I know boxers are a medium breed and yet they are listed under MAXI... which is for the large breed dogs. So I wonder if they even know what they're talking about.  :wink: lol I didn't even realize till right now... they have a puppy formula... BUT if I were to buy it... should I buy the MAXI formula or the MEDIUM formula?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Feeding a large breed diet is not a bad thing for a boxer. Boxers are technically a medium sized breed, however large breed foods were formulated to encourage slower and more even growth. With fast growth we see more skeletal problems such as hip and knee dysplasia, which large breed dogs are more prone to. Dog Food manufacturers consider any dog over 50 lbs to be large breed.
Puppy formulas tend to have more protein in them which can promote faster growth in puppies leading to some of these skeletal and joint problems later on.
I would feed an "all stages" food from the start, somewhere between 22% - 27% protein.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the recall was from canned food and food that came in pouches. if you go to www.menufoods.com They have a list of all the brands, products, serial numbers and dates of the bad food.

I've never really looked at EVERYTHING on the list. We would just make sure him and our ferrets were getting actual food not by-prouducts. It seems like everyone here uses Nutro? Which one?

·
Registered
381 Posts
tootsie\";p=\"5908 said:
Feeding a large breed diet is not a bad thing for a boxer. Boxers are technically a medium sized breed, however large breed foods were formulated to encourage slower and more even growth. With fast growth we see more skeletal problems such as hip and knee dysplasia, which large breed dogs are more prone to. Dog Food manufacturers consider any dog over 50 lbs to be large breed.
Puppy formulas tend to have more protein in them which can promote faster growth in puppies leading to some of these skeletal and joint problems later on.
I would feed an "all stages" food from the start, somewhere between 22% - 27% protein.

I'm with tootsie on the "large breed" dog food debate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts