Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - new to this forum.  To start off, my wife and I purchased our first home begining of this year and finally have gotten somewhat settled.  We both are animal lovers and by March, we had to go and get our (now 5 1/2 month old) Boxer.

I have always found forums to be a great source of information, so being that this is the first boxer we have ever owned, we will rely and gratefully appreciate this communities help!

To introduce her:

This is Maya...named after Riviera Maya, Mexico where my wife and I were married a year and a half ago:
She learned to shake in less than 2 weeks when we got here to her new home:

Sleepy, sleepy time (caught her with the tounge out):

Loves to play ball and also becoming a great frisbee catching dog!:

She was 10 weeks old when we got her from our breeder and weighed in @ 14 1/2 pounds.  Now, at almost 6 months, she has tripled her height and is around 35 pounds.  We are truely in love with this little girl...she is our other child!

OK, now for a question regarding Boxers...we are absolutely going to get another.  Now the question:  We pretty much want another female...is that a good idea?  For some reason, we heard a rumor that you should get one of each sex, or (2) males.  Her cousins, a couple of 80 pound labs, are both females and they get along fine...that's why I want to dispell this rumor.  Any merit to this?

She is all puppy and our breeder is having another litter with Maya's mother and father again - should be ready to go in October which would put Maya at around 9 months old (still a puppy).  (FYI - Rocky Balboa is her father...a 105 lb reverse brindle and Gracie Riss Ann is her mother - a 65 lb brindle).  We have already have another one on the way...good idea?

Thank you for your responses :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No kidding...he looks like a solid muscle walking around.  In leiu of a saddle, he should have a 50mm turret on his back (built like a tank)!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hello & welcome.

I was just wondering if you knew if the dam had a hard time with the litter.My vet told me breeding a much larger male to a female can cause complications.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't really know... I was told by a breeder that having 2 MALES is what you don't want. They would be fighting for the alpha spot. As far as females go... I haven't heard that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi and welcome. Your Maya is beautiful and smart too, that shake is adorable.  I wanted to express some concern about the breeder already having another litter with the same dam.  I am not a breeder but have read a lot, everything I have read indicates that you should NOT breed a bitch twice in a years time, that is REALLY hard on the poor mother dog and considered irresponsible breeding practice.

As for the two females issue, I have two Poms and although they are not boxers they both get along fine.  Of course one is more of a dominant type and one is more submissive.  I have heard this said about female dogs as well and am curious to here some others experiences.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Maya is beautiful... And I just want to throw my .02 in!

I have two males (pitbull and an american bulldog/pitbull mix) that co-exist WONDERFULLY as well as a little male ankle biter.. I've posted about this in a different thread..

Those pictures are of the boys.. now Toby (ambull/pitbull) did put Peanut (the ankle biter) in his place when he didn't follow the rules. What we do in this household is make everyone share everything from toys, to beds, to couches, to pillows, to chew bones, to food etc. If anyone would start anything, whatever the confrontation is over is immediately taken away for 10-15 minutes (or in same cases, the whole day).

YOU are suppose to be alpha, so you call the shots. When I brought Mia home NONE of the dogs liked her (they were all males to the one female.. so I *personally* don't think sex has a lot to do with it - more so with temperament).. I didn't care because guess what?? THEY WERE GOING TO! I decide if there are new comers in the "pack".. Not them.. Toby is VERY dog aggressive with dogs that he doesn't live with. He wanted no part of Mia when she came home so I immediately took everything from him (ALMOST practicing NILIF but not really - if you know what I mean) and made sure that every thing he did with her with POSITIVE they way he would know that if he enjoyed her company, he got goodies!

Now... the way our house works... Toby is the MOST submissive male.. He wants no parts of fights and does not start anything and is happy being a follower.. Peanut is next.. He's dominant (what little dogs aren't??) but he's under Sid (the pitbull).. They don't challenge each other because they're all basically #2 in the house (no one is really OVER anyone else .. although if it came down to it, I know the order). I do not favor one dog over the other.. If I don't want bothered [n]NONE[/b] of them bother me.. If I want to give certain ones attention, I ask them for it after they "do something" for me but not for free.. I allow them to sleep on my bed but they usually get sick of me tossing and turning and either go to their crates willingly or lay on their pillows.. Bllaahhhh enough rambling!!! If you want to ask me anything please do!! I'm working on becoming a trainer but I am NO WHERE NEAR as great as Liz (lillyzmommie)..

Now on the breeding subject.. This is what I've learned... Whether the female is bred or not, the heat does the same amount of damage on the uterus whether she is bred or not... And a lot of breeders have said that as long as the female is in optimal condition both times bred then there isn't a huge problem with it.. Now if its for selfish reasons, then NO.. she shouldn't be bred.. but ahh well... what can ya do! Best of luck on whatever it is you decide to do!

*and I swear I typed more here than I have for a college paper*  8O

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hello and welcome. I think she is adorable. I love when there tongues hang barely past their lips. Cant wait to see more of that cute little girl.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
welcome to all of you! Your Maya is a cutie...You will find a ton of very good information on here regarding training your pup, health, you name it..We have Sunday nite open forum chats as well as a training chat on Wed, so feel free to stop in if you like...

Boxers are wonderful in pairs. They entertain each other and us as well..I prefer the male/female combo and all of mine have been either neutered or spayed..When we got ready to get a companion for Buck years ago I called his breeder to ask her advice, male versus female and she was the first person to recomend a female.. I have heard horrible stories about bitches getting into some awful fights, not as much with males..But there are a lot of factors. First off, I am a firm believer in spaying or neutering your boxer, just cos it's the responsible thing to do..Second that simple act will remove a lot of possible issues when you do have multiple dogs, not all, but some....Third and I think this is the biggie, know your boxer..Is she Alpha or is she submissive? You would want to avoid bringing in another Alpha if that's what you already have...Donna, our meetup co-ordinater has 2 males & 1 female, all fixed and they get along wonderfully..Yes, there is an Alpha, but everyone knows their place...So, really it depends on the dogs more than anything, but you sound like you have a great breeder, listen to what they advise as well...That's their job to match up the best pup for each person, it's in the breeder's best interest!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Hello and welcome and since I agree with alot that has already been said, I will keep it short and just say that I also prefer male/female combo's or fem/fem combo's.  Just remember all of them are different and the individual personality will determine alot.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hello and wecome...I'm Liz (Lillyzmomma; aka "the resident trainer"; professional dog trainer for 16 [17 in two weeks] years)...To answer a few of yur questions...

Two dogs of the same sex:

As Flutterby has stated (and does daily), it can be done...However, it can be a bit different with females than males.

You know the old saying, "The party will be just fine so long as there is only ONE female in the here!"  There is a reason behind that.  Much like human females, female dogs aren't necessarily going to get along well.  With that in mind...

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

---Dominance issues may arise...so long as they are non-violent, let the dogs figure out their pecking order.  So long as YOU are the LEADER, everything will be fine!!!
---No slipping with training or playing favorites!!!  If your going to take the time to have two, you really need to keep up with their training (reinforces your position as leader).  Playing favorites can cause
aggression between dogs...not allowed!!!
---Make time for Boxer cuddles and lap naps!  Boxers are notoriously 60-80# lap dogs.  Be prepared to have your lap overtaken at the first available opportunity!!!

You are now owned by a Boxer, one of the smartest (the smartest if you ask me) dog breeds in the world.  They are notorious for taking advantage of our soft hearts!!!  Remember:  IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO DO IT WHEN THEY ARE 60#'S, DON'T LET THEM DO IT AT 5#'S!!!!

Most important of all!!!!:

Have a blast!!!  They are hilarious, good natured, cuddle bugs!!!

Welcome to the forum.  Feel free to ask questions.  All of us are pretty knowledgable about the breed.

Check out the training stickey's in the behavior sectuion and make sure to read the dog body language stickey in the general forum!!  We have an open chat on Sundays (ask samsonsmom what the times are) and a training chat on Wednesdays (again, ask samsonsmom when).

Look forward to hearing more from you and seeing LOTS of pictures!!!  We are addicted to pictures!!!

Liz and Lilly (hearing service dog extraodrinaire)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Flutterby---I meant to saylives daily...not does daily as in you say it daily...sry for the miscommunication....Again proof that I have spelling issues!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
948 Posts
lol I understood it..

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome!  As you can see there are a lot of people who can help you with your questions.  I have learned a lot on this forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the great responses!  If there's anything that I know for sure, is that all my animals do see me as the leader & I firmly believe that is the reason why we've had good sucess w/Maya.  Not tooting my own horn, but she does listen and is willing to please - along with teaching me better patience.

As for my breeder and Gracie (the dam).  Gracie is 3 years old, 65-70 pounds and is, in my eyes, a perfect speciman of a black masked brindle.  I actually spent half a day with her on my breeders property and she is virtually the same tempered (spitting image) of Maya (obviously vice-versa).  As for health of Gracie - I am no vet, but her vet lives right next door - she looks and acts perfectly healthy to me.  From I was told, is that this will be Gracie's last litter for a minimum of 2 years.

Last, the other reason why we are going forward with another puppy is just that, it will be a puppy and Maya will only be 9 months (still very much a puppy).  I believe this will help with establishing both as equals in the household with their parents being the leaders!

As far as having a blast - we've done that since day one!  As far as pictures...much more to follow!

Thank you all for the responses!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi...and welcome.  My Boxer is about 19 or 20 weeks old.  She is a little girl.  She has become kinda possesive of me and my boyfriend when it comes to petting other dogs.  He and I decided that it was a great idea for another Boxer.....we did NOt decide this lightly!!  We got a boy bc like you, I have always heard that it was a better idea to have a boy and girl.  The breeder that we bought the boy from, who seems very knowledgeable when it comes to Boxers, said that it is better to have a boy and girl Boxer.... not the same sex.  He said the girl tends to calm the boy down...ALOT! and something about the Alfa female?!  Anyway, we get him on Monday....we, of course, will have pictures galore for everyone to see.  He is a sweet little boy, and seems VERY laid back!!  It seems that everyone has already given you great info.  ANd oh, there are some really, really cute pictures posted!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to the forums.. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts