Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet just told me that there are many human meds that can be given to some puppies, but mostly adults. He was going to give me a list when he came back from vacation. As soon as he gives me the list i will post it. Just wanted to hear what you all have in stock as far as pet safe human meds? I know pepto, baby asprin, and benadryl, flagyl are some of them.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
You pretty much have what I do. I just keep Pepto and Benadryl on hand at all times! Especially Benadryl. I've had to use that several times for bug bites and hives. I never heard of giving baby aspirin or flagyl, what would you give that for?
BTW...how are the ears doing? Would love to see more pics!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flagyl is sometimes given for diarrhea, to help assist to kill bad bacteria in the intestine. Baby asprin, the vet told me that at times when they can develop fever, you can give them this.

Oh, and by the way, chato's ears are coming along. I had to retape. This morning because one of his posts popped out. Mind you, this was only 1.5 days, because the last time I reposted was on sunday. Well, I let his ears air out, and again in about 30min, his left ear started tilting in. I believe it's getting better because it does not sit directly on his forehead like it used to last week. His rt. ear is straight up, so I am leaving that one off, unless I see it start tilting. So far, it's been over 8hrs and his right ear is still erect. I just have his left one as the a dear antler :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Keep a pet safety kit on hand for emergencies. Such a kit should contain:

A fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3% (USP)
Can of soft dog or cat food, as appropriate.
Turkey baster, bulb syringe or large medical syringe.
Saline eye solution to flush out eye contaminants.
Artificial tear gel to lubricate eyes after flushing.
Mild grease-cutting dishwashing liquid for the animal after skin contamination.
Rubber gloves.
Forceps to remove stingers.
Muzzle. An excited animal may harm you.
Pet carrier.

* Benadryl: 1-2 mg per lb. every 8 hrs. (60-lb. dog, 2-4 25mg tablets every 8 hrs.)
* Aspirin: 5mg per lb. every 12 hrs. (one 300mg tablet per 60-lb. dog every 12 hrs.)
* Hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting: 1-3 tsp. every 10 min. until dog vomits.
* Pepto-Bismol: 1 tsp. per 5 lb. per 6 hrs. (3-4 tbsp. per 60-lb. dog per 6 hrs.)
* Kaopectate: 1 ml per lb. per 2 hrs. (3-4 tbsp. per 60-lb. dog per 2 hrs.)
* Immodium: 1mg per 15 lbs., 1-2 times daily
* Mineral oil (as a laxative): 5-30 ml per day; do not use long-term

******Please note that dosages may vary dependent upon the dog and that this information is not meant to take the place of an actual vet consultation. Please use this chart as a reference only and if your vet has never recommended one of the OTC meds above for a specific dog, please consult with your vet before administering the drug.*******************

Heres where most of this info came from...along with some more in depth info:
http://www.tervuren.com/cachetnoir/firstaid.html

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Great question Chatito & a good list for all of us to keep handy...I have a lot of that already, but there was some I didn't know about, so will add to my stash....

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is a good topic.  Thanks for getting it out there so we can all be super prepared!
~Anne

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
all i have is benedryl... thanks for the list... i will pick up some of the others as well

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was gonna post it, but the list that the vet gave me was the exact same as what Serendipity posted, but without the mg. amounts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The info on that list, and especially the dosage amounts....has been incredibly helpful.  My girl got stung a couple times this summer...and if I never knew about benadryl, I probably would have been making a drive to the vet. Make sure to have a copy of those dosages with the meds so that you know immediately how much to give and don't have to go hunting for it.

It doesn't hurt to have some basic first aid supplies...tweezers, bandages, etc, along with some of the meds with you when you travel to. Cause you never know what may happen somewhere else.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I thought I would bump this back up as we have a lot of newbies now with puppies and there is some very good info here as far as what you should keep on hand if you have a medical problem.....

Keep in mind, your vet is still your best source tho  :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts