Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like you'll be showing him? I think they look so good with the cropped ears.
I'm still debating doing this to Buster. I like those adorable ears.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Not giving a crap at all about the "Peta" argument myself ... "Ear Cropping" is both expensive and a lot of work! And the right cut is important, as it "could be a bad job and/or done wrong, crap happens. And it is also an additional surgery and putting Boxers under is always an additional risk! The Ace thing ... see here.:
https://www.boxerforums.com/health-concerns/27398-acepromazine.html

That in addition to being, uh kinda lazy was a risk I was not willing to take for the sake of looks?? So I decided "No Crop."

It was a good choice for us ... as I did "think" I wanted Crop and Dock. ANd my better have wanted neither! Struddell, was already docked and the crop was to much bother for me. So already docked was a reasonable compromise. :)

And I had no regrets with my choice! A proper crop, would have made my Struddell, look more Regal and Elegant ... I suppose?? And that kinda look ... was not who she was??? Floppy and Docky ... fitted her personality ... like a glove! I've always been happy with my choice ... YRMV?? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not giving a crap at all about the "Peta" argument myself ... "Ear Cropping" is both expensive and a lot of work! And the right cut is important, as it "could be a bad job and/or done wrong, crap happens. And it is also an additional surgery and putting Boxers under is always an additional risk! The Ace thing ... see here.:
https://www.boxerforums.com/health-concerns/27398-acepromazine.html

That in addition to being, uh kinda lazy was a risk I was not willing to take for the sake of looks?? So I decided "No Crop."

It was a good choice for us ... as I did "think" I wanted Crop and Dock. ANd my better have wanted neither! Struddell, was already docked and the crop was to much bother for me. So already docked was a reasonable compromise. :)

And I had no regrets with my choice! A proper crop, would have made my Struddell, look more Regal and Elegant ... I suppose?? And that kinda look ... was not who she was??? Floppy and Docky ... fitted her personality ... like a glove! I've always been happy with my choice ... YRMV?? :)

Yea I've made my choice to not crop. I think Buster will look just fine! He was docked at 1.5 days so I had no choice in that matter. The dock is nice. I have two labs that just smack everything with their tails!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Yea I've made my choice to not crop. I think Buster will look just fine! He was docked at 1.5 days so I had no choice in that matter. The dock is nice. I have two labs that just smack everything with their tails

OH I thought you had cropped with his ears all taped in the photo. I guess you were just taping them. Either way he is a cutie. The last pup I wanted the breeder didn't dock tails, but after thinking long and hard (other reasons too) I did not go with tail. I personally like the look of the docked tail and I too have had dogs with tails the clean off tables and whack you in the leg. As much as boxers wiggle I could only imagine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Theres definitely a growing consensus to leave the ears natural. It's growing too slowly for my tastes. But they're still Boxers :inlove: And I'm seeing more long tails, even way far up in alaska. :hrtbounce:

·
Registered
634 Posts
We like the natural ears and docked tails. Things I've learned that make me consider the ears is that they should have fewer ear infections with cropped ears. That would be a good thing for us since we live in the southeast where it is humid. We have stuff to clean them to keep infection out.

The tails- I've heard that because Boxers are so hyper and excitable that many with a tail break or injure them often from thwacking them into 'everything'. I can't say how accurate this is, but it is something we have considered.

A lot of it seems to be opinion and preference for each owner.

Knowing their general personalities, it cracks me up when people are scared of how they look- with or without the cropped ears. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
We like the natural ears and docked tails. Things I've learned that make me consider the ears is that they should have fewer ear infections with cropped ears. That would be a good thing for us since we live in the southeast where it is humid. We have stuff to clean them to keep infection out.

The tails- I've heard that because Boxers are so hyper and excitable that many with a tail break or injure them often from thwacking them into 'everything'. I can't say how accurate this is, but it is something we have considered.

A lot of it seems to be opinion and preference for each owner.

Knowing their general personalities, it cracks me up when people are scared of how they look- with or without the cropped ears. :)
I have had a boxer with a tail and the only issues we had were the coffee table being cleared of everything on it and welts on our legs. Health wise no problems. If I had a choice I would leave them all natural the way they were born. It's hard to find rescues not docked. Love them all though no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have had a boxer with a tail and the only issues we had were the coffee table being cleared of everything on it and welts on our legs. Health wise no problems. If I had a choice I would leave them all natural the way they were born. It's hard to find rescues not docked. Love them all though no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing. It's good to hear from someone who's owned a boxer with a tail, they are pretty rare in the US.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's good to see a nice show crop, I do not envy you putting up those ears, Had and have both cropped and natural. The cropped ear is easier to clean and will Not suffer from any Hematoma's

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
At my first Boxer and Buddies Rescue event, they had a few Boxers with tails??? And yeah at first I thought they looked kinda weird but they acted just like the "tailless guys" and after a few minutes ... of all out goofy. You don't even notice! But still if I have the choice ... the tail would go. As I think a docked tail enhances the "cuteness factor! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I urge everyone not to get lil babies ear cropped it's really painful & is unnecessary cosmetic procedure it causes trauma & doesn't have any health benefit

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think I’ve read somewhere that cropped ears are less prone to ear infections. They air out better.
I like the look of natural ears tho and would never crop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
None of mine have been cropped and only Bruno, my current fur friend has gotten an infection. But I suspect he got it on the streets from poor care, as he was abandoned or lost and I got him from our regional Boxer rescue group. He also gets hematomas, the only one of the three to get those too. So in my experience, it doesn't seem to matter if they are cropped or natural whether or not they get infections.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts