Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New boxer owner here. Marvel is 9 weeks old and we have had him for 1 week. He is extremely fun and is probably the biggest cuddler I have ever met. Only thing that worries me is how skinny he is. His first 5 nights here, he would barely eat. Now he is eating more (hes apparently very picky), so I'm hoping he starts to put on some weight. He is not a big fan of treats so training is going to be a bit tough. But one thing I have a question about is his putting in the home. He is not a fan of going outside at all. You bring him out and he immediately runs back to the door. I can spend a lot of time making him come out to the yard and he just sits next to me the whole time. When I finally go back in, he goes potty immediately in the house. I've never had a dog who was so unsure of himself outside so this is a bit new to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum. He is a cutie. Whenever you first bring a pup in they are not big at eating as they just left their nest and must get accustomed to their new surroundings. My boy also was not a big eater when he was young and it was hit or miss. We gave him 30 m minutes to eat and used his food as treats playing with him. That got him to eat a bit more. He will also do this non eating when he is teething. Skipping one or two meals will not hurt him and he will eventually eat his food, or at least one of his meals. t 9 weeks I was feeding 3x a day. I always took my dog out to his potty area on a leash. We walked in a big circle and when he would potty we made a big fuss over him telling him what a cute boy he was. He liked that better than treats. That is also haw we trained him. Now that he is 4 he wants to eat everything and anything. Good luck with your new puppy. I also crate trained at that age and used a divider in his crate since we bought the large 48 inch crate. It last till he was about 2 1/2 and we didn't have to worry about him in the house anymore. Actually it may have even been a bit earlier I can't remember anymore but mostly at over 1 he only spent nights or unsupervised time in it. Now he has his own bed in my daughters room, complete with a blanket and pillow.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Pretty much what Linda said. This is all really new to him, gonna take a little bit to adjust. Definitely use the leash, and you will just have to out wait him.

Really cute pup by the way. Good luck:cheers:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I totally agree with Linda. Emmett was not a big eater his first week. I took him out on a leash and we walked in big circles. If he did business pee and poo - we went back inside and he ate. If he did not he went into his crate for ten minutes and then we went back outside on a leash and we did the circles again.
If he finished his business - he ate.

When he didn’t go outside when I thought it was time - at that age roughly every two or three hours - before and after eating or playing - I would often keep him on a leash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. We have started the leash outside and he is starting to become acclimated with going outside. At first the leash was frightening to him but after repetition he is now walking on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts