Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9.5 weeks old Moose. Pooping everywhere! Too cold too take out. Any one know a good way to potty train indoors on pads?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
9.5 weeks old Moose. Pooping everywhere! Too cold too take out. Any one know a good way to potty train indoors on pads?

Crate and pads worked for our lil boxer .....she chose the spot on the pads in the crate

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I'm not big on training to go inside on pads, and certainly don't put the pad in the crate. You don't ant to train your pup to mess in his crate. You could leave carte door open and place pad in an area of a x-pen or gated area that you have the crate in. Keeping him in the crate will teach him to "hold it" as they naturally don't want to mess where they sleep, which is why you use a divider in a big crate making it smaller where he can just comfortably lie down. I don't like using the pee pads as then you have to transition them to the outdoors and it makes potty training slightly harder. I always took mine out to potty on his leash. We went out he did what he needed to and back in. He soon associated being on his leash with going to his potty area. He never messed in his crate and if I remember only had 3 accidents wishing the 1st 3 weeks. After that he was fine. Though I did have him on a schedule of potty times and eating times. He is a beautiful pup good luck with him.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Don't know where you are so, how cold is cold??? At any rate potty pads are just not a good idea. You'd just be forestalling what will need to be trained anyway and creating a bigger issue for yourself going forward.

Your not going on a forced march in sub-arctic temperatures I would imagine??? He'll be fine with quick trips in and out for potty breaks. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Don't know where you are so, how cold is cold??? At any rate potty pads are just not a good idea. You'd just be forestalling what will need to be trained anyway and creating a bigger issue for yourself going forward.

Your not going on a forced march in sub-arctic temperatures I would imagine??? He'll be fine with quick trips in and out for potty breaks. :)
I don't know if it was my guy or a boxer issue overall, but holy cow did Zuke take a long time for training to go outside. I've had several dogs and he was by far the longest by weeks compared to my other dogs.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Your furbaby is super adorable!

We got our older boys in December and we didn't take them out on a leash, but we did take them out after eating/ playing/ regular intervals to avoid going in the house.
We had some freezing rain and it was painful for us and we felt bad for them since they would run up to us to get warmth and they may have been a little scared still too as they were about 8 weeks old.

You can get a coat or sweater for him too if it's really cold since boxers don't do well in the hot or cold for periods of time.

They learned to go outside.

Our puppy we took out into the backyard on a leash and initially we learned to keep the older boys in the house when we took him out because they would distract him and he would not want to go. This made the trips out obviously longer. We would take him to the same area each time and took a treat so he was rewarded when he did his business.
We also praised him right after with 'good boy' and gave him pets and excited attention.

We have toys in the yard since they would all play outside- we made sure he did not get to go to the toys until after he relieved himself.

He learned quickly where to go and what to do.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I don't know if it was my guy or a boxer issue overall, but holy cow did Zuke take a long time for training to go outside. I've had several dogs and he was by far the longest by weeks compared to my other dogs.
Actually back in the day, I think I did the "Paper Training" transition to outside thing???

With my first dog I did that and it worked fine. but my first puppies, was restricted to the living room and it was puppy proofed and I left the slider open when we went to work. I trained Gunther my Band Dawg first and he pretty much trained the other puppies. IE have one well trained dog "before adding a second." :)

The only thing I can clearly remember from the "Struddell" era is that it seemed to take her forever to learn her name???

Most likely my bad there , for the longest time she was always doing something "New, Different and Stupid!?" I said "NO" so much that I feared, that she would think her name was "NO!" :chair:

Worked out well in the long run ie "No as a Command??" But it was pretty trying at the time ... "Boxer's you know. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not big on training to go inside on pads, and certainly don't put the pad in the crate. You don't ant to train your pup to mess in his crate. You could leave carte door open and place pad in an area of a x-pen or gated area that you have the crate in. Keeping him in the crate will teach him to "hold it" as they naturally don't want to mess where they sleep, which is why you use a divider in a big crate making it smaller where he can just comfortably lie down. I don't like using the pee pads as then you have to transition them to the outdoors and it makes potty training slightly harder. I always took mine out to potty on his leash. We went out he did what he needed to and back in. He soon associated being on his leash with going to his potty area. He never messed in his crate and if I remember only had 3 accidents wishing the 1st 3 weeks. After that he was fine. Though I did have him on a schedule of potty times and eating times. He is a beautiful pup good luck with him.
Thanks! Ive never had a problem before, and I think putting a pad on the crate can delay it unless you get lucky. Ive just never had a puppy when it's this cold out. He's shaking like a leaf. I take him out about half an hour after he eats and he goes in less than a minute. But then goes again when I bring him in.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Thanks! Ive never had a problem before, and I think putting a pad on the crate can delay it unless you get lucky. Ive just never had a puppy when it's this cold out. He's shaking like a leaf. I take him out about half an hour after he eats and he goes in less than a minute. But then goes again when I bring him in.

Why don't you get him a sweater or a coat to wear. I'd still take him out like your doing then put the pads outside the crate in an area he can get too, by leaving the cate door open.
At night close it when you know he is done for the night. We took ours out he went then we came in played maybe 5-10 min then took out again. He usually went again. Then back in crate. He never had pads, though. He learned very very quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why don't you get him a sweater or a coat to wear. I'd still take him out like your doing then put the pads outside the crate in an area he can get too, by leaving the cate door open.
At night close it when you know he is done for the night. We took ours out he went then we came in played maybe 5-10 min then took out again. He usually went again. Then back in crate. He never had pads, though. He learned very very quickly.
Done! Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts