Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I rescued a boxer puppy one week ago today. I posted photos and there were a few guesses as to whether or not both parents were actually boxers or if the pup is a boxer mix (doesn't matter now - I'm in love), but I just received a photo of the parents from the rescue agency. Your thoughts?
Sue
Sue
Dog Carnivore Liver Dog breed Grass

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If that’s really the parents the female looks Boxer but that male looks mixed with something Rottweiler maybe? Who knows people don’t seem to care what they breed together just so they get that”tough looking” dog it will be interesting to see what that dna says though

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Yes but obviously the pup isn't full boxer and it doesn't matter anyway, she is beautiful and will grow into a lovely companion who you already adore. I do understand that in a litter there can be more than one daddy. I recently took in a standard poodle pup act 6 months old from a rescue, looks like one but then again I don't really know for sure and it doesn't matter, its a great pup. I may do one of those DNA tests out of curiosity.I'd also like to be aware if there are any conditions I may have to keep in mind for future.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Obtained the cheek samples last night, will mail the test today and should have results in about 10-14 days. Will let you know!
Sue

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
LOL and the mystery deepens? The Mom is certainly Boxer and the Dad look's to be a Boxer, certainly the head looks to me to be full Euro. But he certainly look's really buff, for a Boxer?

Assuming those are indeed the parents. Mom is a Boxer and Dad certainly looks to be a Boxer and "assuming," no one got to the Mom? Dad would be "suspect?" He looks, well magnificent! But he seems really "Buff," for a Boxer?

He look's great to me but I must say if you were to do a cross between a Bull Mastiff and a Boxer? I think the offspring would look an awful like him? But I don't know? But a DNA test could tell.

And more recently ... just to make the "DNA," point. I would guess that the least likely Dog, to have Boxer DNA, would be the "Dogo Argentina." Just recently registered and decades in the making. These guy's the Dogo Argentino.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Fawn

They have been in development in .. well, Argentina, since 1929, I believe it is, and looking at him. One would wonder what does that dog have to do with a Boxer?

LOL, well a DNA test would revel the foundation Breeds, used in there "Creation." And one of those, Breed's was the Boxer! The Boxer was introduced into the linage to ensure he was "Gentle, with family!" :)

But not a "Boxer," and certainly not a great "Beginner Dog, but hey I'd say no worst than a WL GSD? Just a different set off issue? But much less likely to go after you, your spouse, the kid's or you know "Strangers in General?" But they "might" have serious other dog issues? Everything is a trade off with serious dog's, just saying.

But back on point and I can't tell with your girl. And while not a "Breed," sigh Boxer/Pit's are very numerous. So much so that they do to have a "look?" And they tend to look alot like my Bella and note the head, ears and color. And they always seem to have Boxer Colors, I have never seen one in Red or Blue, American Pit Bull colors.
Dog Collar Carnivore Dog breed Picture frame

So yeah not a Boxer, but if anyone has had a "Boxer," and meets her she will seem very familiar, sight the good and the bad. I think she kinda, doubles down on the girl thing at times. And you know, if someone ask "My I Pet Your Dog?" I know longer break out in a cold sweat. Another story. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts
Here some interesting info for those who may be interested. You can have multiple fathers within the same litter.

These two could have been intentionally bred but if care wasn’t taken to keep a close eye on mom, any neighborhood stud muffin could have joined in the baby making fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here some interesting info for those who may be interested. You can have multiple fathers within the same litter.

These two could have been intentionally bred but if care wasn’t taken to keep a close eye on mom, any neighborhood stud muffin could have joined in the baby making fun.
The plot thickens..... one of her litter mates was tested and the adopter shared the results with me:
48% boxer, 16% rottweiler, 9% labrador retriever, 6% bulldog, 5% shihtzu. (I know those don't total to 100% but I didn't bother listing all the other small percentages.) It will be curious to see if my DNA results are similar, but like you said, even if they are not it could simply mean my pup had a different dad, or it could mean DNA tests are not very accurate. But they're fun, regardless. :)
Sue

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Hmm, can you get any pictures of that puppy? And the 48% and 6% Bull Dog makes sense in as much as the English Bull Dog was part of the foundation stock for the Breed. But Shithtzu and Rotty and Lab?? What the heck is that about and how long ago did that happen?

But no APBT? So that is why, I can't see that in your girl's head. And while I don't see "Rotty," in the Dad? I do see he looks pretty "Buff?" I have never seen a Rotty, that looked like that? But apprently .. Luvmiboxers, has? That aside dad look's like a Boxer to me and (anyway) and Mom certainly is a Boxer. :)

But if Breeding is not strictly controlled, you can get "throwback's," from something tht happened a long time ago. That's why it takes a long time to establish a "Breed Standard." It's interesting and time will tell. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts