Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!!! We are new to the site and hope to gain more knowledge of the boxer breed. This is our second boxer as our first one had to be put down for multiple reasons after only 9 short years ;(
We have three things we'd like to ask you experts. Thor is 10 weeks old. We have had him for 3 weeks.
1- Kenneling has been horrendous this go around. My last boxer did very good and I don't recall the screams of horror from the laundry room. Just until this past week, he was only kenneled when it was time for bed. Three weeks later, he still freaks out screams like someone is killing him. Jumps, cries, squeals, bites at cage, bites at blanket that's placed on top of the kennel for the "safe feeling/ don't look at me". We thought it would get better but it's still the same three weeks later. My poor 11 year old daushund has to endur this all night. And now that my husband is back at work, he is kenneled during the day also. He is probably kenneled 6 hours both at night and during the day. I know that is half the day and I feel bad but I can't afford to come home to things chewed, poop and pee everywhere, and him possibly in danger. Until he gets older and is potty trained, and also not in the chewing stage, leaving him out is not an option. A friend told me to put his cage in my room while we sleep so he can see us. I'm not so certain of that.
2- We are a bit concerned at his eating patterns. I've only owned dogs that have a crazy appetite. That finish what you put down for them. I'm having to feed him about 4 times a day. Depending on if he wants to eat that day or not. I offer him 1 cup each meal and this is what our day consists of. Each feeding is like a game. He wants us to hand feed him, at first he paws at the food like he doesn't want it. This is the food the breeder feed from the get go. Some times we are lucky if he eats 1/2 cup in one sitting. We have changed bowls to even paper plates. One problem we have is that we can't leave food out at all times. My daushund is on a struck diet. He can't gain weight due to his back. FYI we are feeding him Victor Hi-Pro Plus for active dogs and puppies. We are very concerned about allergies as our last boxer had allergies really bad and he as well as us suffered. The breeder did tell me she had to supplement his feedings with a bottle at birth.
3- This is the least of our concerns however if there is something I can do at this age, I'd like to try it. His ears have a mind of their own. They are wild and do not lay down like normal floppy eared dogs. I suppose these would be the perfect ears to crop but I just can't do that to my baby. No offense to anyone else whom like that.
Thanks in advance for whomever gives us advise!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We put the dog crate in our bedroom when we first brought our puppy home. The first five days were rough with crying, but the breeder said not to respond. We just took him out every 4 hours to go (dead of Wisconsin winter), and back in the crate. He could hear us sleeping nearby so it was easier. He'd just had to leave his siblings, and must have been very sad with that loss. During the day we put the puppy in the family room in a different crate. We'd leave some music on, and it was where the family gathered at night.

I think 6 hours during the day may be a bit long at that age. Can somebody come over to let him outside after 3 hours? Your vet's office might be a place ask to find somebody. Many of my vet's staff do dog sitting on the side.

We switched over to Fromm puppy food, and even added a tablespoon of their wet to the kibble. We did this really slowly.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
When we fought our guy home he spent a lot of time in his crate and a lot of tie being cuddled on the couch with us. But he did not get a lot of time to roam..We kept his crate in our kitchen where there is a lot of activity most times and we also had a blanket covering his crate and he had a soft bed. We did use a divider in the crate so he only had enough room for him to stand turn and lie down. We followed a pretty strict schedule. We fed 3x a day, which should be plenty for Thor at 10 weeks. We also feed Victor but hadn't learned of it at that age. He also was a picky eater. In the begging we did hand feed him some too but used that while we played with him and taught him to sit. He was never food motivated. Until recently he is 3 years old now and now he wants to eat, lol) His feeding times were 6am noon and 6 pm we gave him 20 minutes to eat. With using his kibble during training and to fill a kong we felt he was getting all his nutrients and he was growing and putting weight on nicely. We took him out side every hour and a half to 2 hours to potty, each time he came out of his crate he was quiet. No acknowledgment until he was. Each time we took him on leash to his potty spot then came in played a bit had our cuddle time then bak in crate. Over and over all day we did this from day 1. Today he will go quietly to hiscrate, he gets a tree then goes to bed until I have coffee take care of my cats & other dogs and waits quietly. Although I must admit he no longer uses his crate for a few months he has a bed in my daughters room and just goes to bed. LOL Many people also just put the crate in their bedroom at night and in a busier prt of the house during the day. I would not let any dog be in a cute for more than 4 hours during the day at a time, they need a potty break in-between, night of course if different \. I would find someone to take him out to potty every 2 hours then back in the crate but thats me. once he is a little older you can keep stretching that time out till you get to 4 hours. Well I'm no expert but that worked for us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We put the dog crate in our bedroom when we first brought our puppy home. The first five days were rough with crying, but the breeder said not to respond. We just took him out every 4 hours to go (dead of Wisconsin winter), and back in the crate. He could hear us sleeping nearby so it was easier. He'd just had to leave his siblings, and must have been very sad with that loss. During the day we put the puppy in the family room in a different crate. We'd leave some music on, and it was where the family gathered at night.

I think 6 hours during the day may be a bit long at that age. Can somebody come over to let him outside after 3 hours? Your vet's office might be a place ask to find somebody. Many of my vet's staff do dog sitting on the side.

We switched over to Fromm puppy food, and even added a tablespoon of their wet to the kibble. We did this really slowly.

Thanks!!! We may have to try the whole bedroom kennel thing. And I'm gunna ask around about letting him out at least once while I'm gone. Some days I only work 4 hours but others it's 8. Average of 6 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When we fought our guy home he spent a lot of time in his crate and a lot of tie being cuddled on the couch with us. But he did not get a lot of time to roam..We kept his crate in our kitchen where there is a lot of activity most times and we also had a blanket covering his crate and he had a soft bed. We did use a divider in the crate so he only had enough room for him to stand turn and lie down. We followed a pretty strict schedule. We fed 3x a day, which should be plenty for Thor at 10 weeks. We also feed Victor but hadn't learned of it at that age. He also was a picky eater. In the begging we did hand feed him some too but used that while we played with him and taught him to sit. He was never food motivated. Until recently he is 3 years old now and now he wants to eat, lol) His feeding times were 6am noon and 6 pm we gave him 20 minutes to eat. With using his kibble during training and to fill a kong we felt he was getting all his nutrients and he was growing and putting weight on nicely. We took him out side every hour and a half to 2 hours to potty, each time he came out of his crate he was quiet. No acknowledgment until he was. Each time we took him on leash to his potty spot then came in played a bit had our cuddle time then bak in crate. Over and over all day we did this from day 1. Today he will go quietly to hiscrate, he gets a tree then goes to bed until I have coffee take care of my cats & other dogs and waits quietly. Although I must admit he no longer uses his crate for a few months he has a bed in my daughters room and just goes to bed. LOL Many people also just put the crate in their bedroom at night and in a busier prt of the house during the day. I would not let any dog be in a cute for more than 4 hours during the day at a time, they need a potty break in-between, night of course if different \. I would find someone to take him out to potty every 2 hours then back in the crate but thats me. once he is a little older you can keep stretching that time out till you get to 4 hours. Well I'm no expert but that worked for us.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know others feed victor also. I am going to find someone to let him out at least once while we are gone. I have always done so good with puppies but this one is a bit different!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Keep going with the crate training it is definitely worth the effort. I love his ears, they are so expressive, it's illegal to crop dogs ears here so I have never seen a US style boxer before but I have seen plenty with natural ears and they all look beautiful to me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome!

We were told many times that they will eat when they are hungry. I'd say be careful what you teach him about eating. They can train us fast on how to spoil them. :)

It can be hard to feed one dog a different food than the other(s). We have to put our puppy's food in a bowl where we can watch it/him. Our older boys are on weight management food and if they get the chance to eat the puppy food, they will.

All of our boys have natural ears. Some flop back more than others, but to us they are all perfect as they are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts