Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Merlin to his first "beginner's obedience class". Whew - what a night. We started with the heel. He did pretty good on that, but when we stopped, he wouldn't sit. I tried pinching his hindquarters like the trainer suggested. First, my finger span isn't that wide, PLUS, it just didn't work. He finally sat for a treat - then once he ate the treat, he popped back up. Even the trainer said, "boy, he's going to be a tough one." Any suggestions from anyone?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Diesel knows, that if he wants anything, he has to sit. when I was teaching him heel, I would hold 2 treats, with my right hand I'd do the heel hand signal, and my left hand, I'd hold at my shoulder height with the treat in it. So he saw it there, and would sit every time he saw it. It only took about 10-15 minutes for him to do it on command without any treats.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I find it odd that a trainer told you to use your hand.  Are you using a training collar?  If so, is it the right size and all the way up behind the ears and under the jaw?  You get pretty darn good control and very slight upward pressure will cause your pup to sit.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I agree with Dieselsmom, holding the treat just above their head and back a little will put them in a sit every time.  Getting them to hold it just takes patience and repetition and lots of praise.  Personally, I think that praise is a really important part of training.  You don't always have a treat in your pocket when you need your dog to obey a command, and praise can be an excellent reward for them as well.  Good luck with your training and WTG Merlin!!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I "attempt" to make Lola sit for everything...going outside, food, treats, etc.  It takes a LOT of practice.  He'll catch on!  Good luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried holding the treat over his head and moving is backwards to make him sit - not so easy. The collar I'm using is a pinch collar and actually it rests where a regular collar would. In fact, the instructor had me put another link in it. Without the extra link, it was sitting right behind the ears and under the jaw. I might try taking the extra link out again. Hopefully, with a lot of work, he'll get it. This was his first night and he was really interested in all the other dogs! Couldn't hardly keep him focused!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's definitely a bit of work and some dogs just are a bit more hard headed than others...I had a terrible time with Angel when we brought her home and she was 16 mos! Practice, practice, practice...Now anytime I open the frig, she's right there and sitting pretty just waiting for a treat...Ditto what Alicia said about sitting for everything..Mine had a habit of running me over when i opened the door to let them out, so "sit & wait" were required...Now Angel automatically sits at the door and waits for me to leash her....

I found it's more effective to hold the treat up for the pup to see, slowly move it like over their head, it forces them to sit, well most of the time  :)....Also I find that hand cues work better as well..The "sit" command I just simply take my hand, like I'm holding a treat, which gets their attention, slowly draw it over their head and BOOM,,they sit...Wait is one finger held up, works well for me....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of treats do you use? I've been told the weiners cooked in the microwave work well. I'm using soft kitty treats (per the instructor, they're the right size).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts