Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's definitely a bit of work and some dogs just are a bit more hard headed than others...I had a terrible time with Angel when we brought her home and she was 16 mos! Practice, practice, practice...Now anytime I open the frig, she's right there and sitting pretty just waiting for a treat...Ditto what Alicia said about sitting for everything..Mine had a habit of running me over when i opened the door to let them out, so "sit & wait" were required...Now Angel automatically sits at the door and waits for me to leash her....

I found it's more effective to hold the treat up for the pup to see, slowly move it like over their head, it forces them to sit, well most of the time  :)....Also I find that hand cues work better as well..The "sit" command I just simply take my hand, like I'm holding a treat, which gets their attention, slowly draw it over their head and BOOM,,they sit...Wait is one finger held up, works well for me....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.