Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm prepping for the new puppy that's gonna be joining the family next week.  Right now, the breeder is using Iams Large Puppy.  I know it's a poor food and I want to switch to a good food.  I've been reading a lot on the forums and I've narrowed it down to Merrick or Chicken Soup.  Which do you prefer and why?

At my local pet/feed store:

Merrick Puppy Plate - 30lb bag - $36
Chicken Soup Puppy - 35lb bag - $28

One last question, should I be feeding the puppy version of these foods or the adult?  The pup will be 8 weeks old.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
So exciting...one week until a new puppy :lol: Both foods are good choices but be careful of puppy brands sometimes the protein content is pretty high 26 - 28%. I know I've read on here that is too much for a baby, hopefully someone will jump in and explain it better. I think it has to do with bone growth being too rapid???? Can't wait to hear all about the new baby!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Both foods are very good. However, when you first bring your puppy home it is advised that you continue to feed your new puppy the same food the breeder has been feeding just until the puppy gets acclimated to his new family and surroundings. Changing food right away when you bring the new pup home can be somewhat stressful on the puppy.
I think Donnersmom was on the right track about the food. Puppies really shouldn't have too much protein and fat in their diets. There have been studies done that indicate that too much protein in their diet can lead to rapid growth in puppies. Rapid growth can lead to skeletal and bone issues later in life. Boxers are very fast growing pups as it is so they do not need the extra protein and fat that puppy formulas tend to have in them. I would try feeding a diet that has somewhere between 22-28% protein and around 12-18% of fat. Most of the higher quality foods have an all stages formula that is suitable for puppies, adults, and seniors. I like feeding all stages right from the start that way you don't have to wonder when to switch from a puppy formula to an adult formula.
Good luck with t he new pup, and of course we will expect tons of pics!  :D

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think Tootsie covered all the basis.  After your new one is home and has settled in you can gradually start changing foods.  Even the best brands don't agree with all dogs, so it's kind of a trial and error period when you do decide to switch.  They are both excellent foods that you mentioned, but when you do switch, just do it gradually over a months time period to be safe.  Congratulations on your new baby!!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies Donner's Mom and Tootsie!  I actually went and bought an 8lb bag of the Iams large puppy today so he gets to eat the same stuff for a little bit before switching.  Merrick's puppy plate has 28% protein and I forgot to check the fat content and Chicken Soup is 27% protein and 13% fat.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I just went to the Merrick website and the puppy plate is 28% protein and 14% fat.  Are these numbers too high for boxer puppies for either Chicken Soup or Merrick Puppy Plate?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Either is fine.    I maybe would start with the chix soup, since its less expensive and puppies eat more.   Then rotate to Merrick at about 6 months.   There are a lot of variety of Merricks and then you can rotate to different flavors. - thats my opinion!!!

I when I was feeding kibble, I would rotate different foods every 6 - 8 months.  This way I would spice things up, rotate their diets with different proteins, and balance it.    To me they don't get bored, and you find out what kibbles agree with your dog, and what does not.   Also cuts down on food alergies.  

Good luck!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Woo hoo, new puppy!!! I would definitely start with a bad of the Iams, and after you have had your pup home a couple weeks start transitioning him...Figure when you start to use this schedule, it has worked well for me: 1st week-3/4 old, 1/4 new, 2nd week-1/2 & 1/2, 3rd week 1/4 old & 3/4 new...Watch the stools, if they seem to runny, you may have to slow down the change over..All puppies are different and what works great for one, doesn't for another..I just finished changing over to Chicken Soup for my 2 ( ages 10 1/2 & 2) and it went really well... I live in a very small town and good food options are almost nil. Chicken Soup was the best I could get here even after asking at my local pet store.....Good luck & read my post in th epuppy section about what to have on hand.....Pictures, lots of pictures  :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote="samsonsmom\";p=\"34191":2ueknaep]Woo hoo, new puppy!!! I would definitely start with a bad of the Iams, and after you have had your pup home a couple weeks start transitioning him...Figure when you start to use this schedule, it has worked well for me: 1st week-3/4 old, 1/4 new, 2nd week-1/2 & 1/2, 3rd week 1/4 old & 3/4 new...Watch the stools, if they seem to runny, you may have to slow down the change over..All puppies are different and what works great for one, doesn't for another..I just finished changing over to Chicken Soup for my 2 ( ages 10 1/2 & 2) and it went really well... I live in a very small town and good food options are almost nil. Chicken Soup was the best I could get here even after asking at my local pet store.....Good luck & read my post in th epuppy section about what to have on hand.....Pictures, lots of pictures

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy! It is so exciting  :)  I can just imagine you are at you calendar counting down the days till you get the pup  :wink: Remember we like lots of pics!!!

We are feeding Sadie Merrick puppy plate and she's doing really well on it. (She's 12wks)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Congratulations, can't wait to see pictures when the puppy comes home.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Have not tried Merrick but we do feed Brady Chix Soup....apparently it tastes REALLY good bc he is an insanely picky eater and we had a hard time finding something he would eat. No hesitation eating, just gobbles it right down.  Also, he is s huge momma's boy and will follow me EVERYWHERE, yet when the chix soup is on the ground, I can leave the room and he will not follow. This is all very rare for him.

He's done well on it...his coat is nice, everything is solid, eye goobers have decreased.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts