Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone uses Merrick's Grammy's Pot Pie dry food?

It is the only flavor of Merrick that our local pet store keeps in stock in a 30 lb. bag.

All the other flavors they carry are in 5 lb. bags.

I am trying to decide on a food for Izzy when she comes home.
The breeder has her on 'Beneful'....and I don't want to keep her on it.
So I am trying to decide what to get....so I can slowly make the transistion once she is home.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The Holistic Doggie Bakery I buy my food from carries all of the Merrick brands now, but so far I have only used the Wilderness Blend.  I was going to try some of the others for variety in their diets, but the woman that runs the store recommended that I stick to what is working for us and not switch around just to do it.  I have used the Grammy's Pot Pie when Sophie was much younger and she liked it alot.  In fact I have used just about all of the canned varieties - although they are kinda rich and did cause some loose stools in Sophie when she was much younger.  She has seemed to grow out of that problem now and can eat most anything without problems.  Let us know how you llike the Grammy's Pot Pie.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Kate!

I guess because the store is small and they carry so many brands of food....they are only carrying what has been most popular for them in sales when it comes to large size bags.
I had really wanted to try the wilderness blend...but they only carry it in the 5 lb. size bag.
But I think I will probably give the 'Pot Pie' a try and see how she likes it.  :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think Merricks makes all around quality dog foods.  I fed Lola some wilderness blend and cowboy cookout and she seemed to really like it.  I chose those two because they had non-traditional meats for the main protein source (buffalo and beef respectively).  Besides a slight increase in gas, Lola did great on those.  Lola also seemed a little extra gassy when we fed her Solid Gold with buffalo as the main meat so for that reason I've been sticking with chicken/turkey based foods the last couple bags (non-merricks).

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I've tried all the Merrick flavors due to the Merrick Lunch Box sampler, but they are the canned wet versions.  I am currently feeding the Wilderness dry kibble as well.  So far Merrick seems to be very good quality.  Oggie loved the Grammy Pot Pie canned, but looking at the ingredients there is only one meat protein source (Chicken).  Most high-grade foods have multiple meat protein sources (the Wilderness has buffalo, salmon, and venison for example) so I like those better for the variety.  I think it'd be a good choice for a dog with non-chicken meat allergies or sensitive stomachs though.  The canned version seriously looked like human soup....big chunks of chicken and vegetables.  One of the few dog foods I've ever seen that actually looked appealing to me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts