Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pit bulls in Vick case likely to be euthanized
NFL.com wire reports

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (May 23, 2007) -- Dozens of dogs seized in an investigation into possible dogfighting on land owned by Atlanta Falcons star Michael Vick likely would be euthanized if investigators determine they are fighting dogs, the Humane Society said.

"Almost 100 percent" of animals seized in dogfighting investigations are euthanized because they have a level of aggression that makes them dangerous pets and neighbors, said John Goodwin, a spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States.

"It's simply not fair to someone who has a black lab or a Yorkie to have a fighting dog next door because if that dog gets loose, he's going to ... kill that person's pet," Goodwin said, making it clear he was speaking in generic terms only.

He did not have specific information about the dogs taken from Vick's home.

Sixty-six dogs, 55 of them pit bulls, were seized April 25 when police conducting a drug investigation raided the house, which Vick owned but said he rarely visited.

Police also found items associated with dog fighting, including treadmills, syringes and a "pry bar" used to pry apart a dog's jaws, as well as a bloodstained carpet. Prosecutor Gerald Poindexter said they also found blood on a floor in the home.

Several of the dogs had old scars that could be associated with dogfighting injuries, but authorities have said the dogs largely appeared to be healthy.

No charges have been filed, and the authorities involved met for nearly two hours May 21 to go over their evidence, but said only that the investigation is continuing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
:aua: This makes me mad and thats all Im going to say........ except this:
VICK, YOU DESERVE ALOT OF BAD BAD THINGS IN YOUR LIFE. if I was the ruler of karma, Id meke sure you got yours 20 fold!!! jerk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, I guess Michael's brother isn't the only thug in the family. It just shows that money doesn't make you good or bad it only exagerates what's already there. If the new commissioner sticks to his word Vick won't play football this year.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah... a normal mean person would probably only have a few fighting dogs that would have to be put-down... but because Vick makes millions, he gets to have 60+ dogs euthanized.   :upset:

·
Registered
214 Posts
blaze_the_boxer\";p=\"9815 said:
Well, I guess Michael's brother isn't the only thug in the family. It just shows that money doesn't make you good or bad it only exagerates what's already there. If the new commissioner sticks to his word Vick won't play football this year.
so thats it.....he just wont play football for a year. To me thats murder. We give people the death penalty for doing this to people.......no football for a year. LIKE HE WILL SUFFER FROM THE MONEY HE WONT MAKE IN A YEAR?????? OMG im heated, sorry Ill calm down

·
Registered
99 Posts
Claiming he didn't know shouldn't matter, you're right Odinsdad, he sells alot of tickets and it will be interesting to see if the NFL takes action. As far as I'm concerned they could kick him out of the league for life and it wouldn't be enough.

·
Registered
214 Posts
blaze_the_boxer\";p=\"9820 said:
Claiming he didn't know shouldn't matter, you're right Odinsdad, he sells alot of tickets and it will be interesting to see if the NFL takes action. As far as I'm concerned they could kick him out of the league for life and it wouldn't be enough.
:clap:  :dance:  :rockon: Thank you!!!!! I was too mad to say is so easily.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think the new NFL policy really does have teeth.  This offseason one player was kicked out of the league for the whole season (Pacman Jones) and another was suspended half the season (8 games) just got in trouble again and may miss the entire season (Chris Henry).

It would be hard for the NFL to penalize Vick if he's found innocent.  Just like the police can't make him go to jail if he's found to be innocent.  I'm sure all here would love to see serious charges stick on this one but the NFL is going to be at the mercy of the law (to some extent).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't think that the NFL is bound by the law in this case, remember Pacman was never convicted either. If they feel that Vick's conduct is detrimental to the league they can take whatever action they feel is necessary.
BTW the report on the radio is that Chris Henry did not fail the drug test as was earlier reported.(According to ESPN radio)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is hardly Vick's first run-in with authorities.

Remember, the whole reason the dogs were found in the first place was because they were raiding Vick's house looking for drugs (due to Vick carrying a "water bottle" with a secret compartment for marijuana in it, back in January through an airport).

For someone so innocent, bad things seem to follow Vick around like flies on stink.

Vick's name continually comes-up on police blotters... this is the same type of behavior that earned PacMan Jones a year-long suspension (mind-you... without any legal convictions).  It's the "bad-boy" image the NFL doesn't want associated with it's players and the league, legally guilty or not.

By definition, guilty or not, Vick's name keeps bringing negative publicity to the NFL, which is what the new commissioner doesn't want.

Which leads back to the whole "What will the NFL do about this?".  Certainly, Vick is about as bad a publicity magnet as PacMan... but he sells a lot more tickets then PacMan... so once again... what will the NFL do?  Let's see how serious they are about all this "good image" stuff.

Meanwhile, 60+ dogs will be killed because of Vick's 'innosence'.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah but even if they stopped him from playing for a year he's on a contract.... wouldn't that mean he stil gets paid!!???? I think some one should be doing jail time for this... and a serious fine! I think they should charge him at least $1k for every dog put down... but even then I don't think that would put a hole in his pocket! I saw on Miami Animal Cops that a person was sent to jail for a year for every animal they poorly took care of in some small warehouse with 28 dogs, 23 cats, a bunny, a hamster, 4 pigs, and a few others I think!!! Of course he pleaded guilty and didn't get that charge... but did pay a big fine... not big enough to make it better for all those animals!! It's JUST NOT FAIR!!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most contracts are paid-out by the regular season game played... if you don't play, you don't get paid... and they can also spell-out "suspended without pay" if they wanted.

Once again, this is really up to the NFL Commissioner.  He can do anything from kicking Vick out of the league, or a lengthy suspension to doing nothing at all.

Only time will tell at this point.

·
Registered
905 Posts
People like this should be thrown to their own fighting dogs, that's what I think!

Seriously, though, I'm an avid fan of Miami Animal Police, Animal Cops Detroit, AC Houston, etc., and it amazes me how each and every person who is suspected of keeping fighting dogs trots out that same excuse - "they're not mine" or "I own the property but I didn't know they were here" or "I'm just minding them for someone".

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I was seriously appalled when I first saw Animal cops-Detroit. I had NO idea that all this dog fighting, and horrible abuse and neglect would happen so close to where I live.

Granted, I've been sheltered, but I think I would much rather stay naive.
I don't WANT to know about all the abuse of animals, or the freaking drug houses etc etc.

I was smart enough to surround myself with people who didn't fool around with any of that stuff when I was in high school. and I much prefer to keep it that way.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Time will tell what impact this has On Vick..Yes, it will depend a lot on the stand the NFL decides to take...The fact that they are getting tougher on things, makes me think he will not get off easily..He can argue til he's blue in the face that he didn't know what's going on, but at the end of the day, that property is in his name, no one elses, there has to be some accountability...

Animal lovers should picket his games, may not help, but it certainly wouldn't hurt....That's providing he appears in any games...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts