Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm not new but not a regular either. I'm sure you can all identify w/being to busy to sit down at the computer sometimes. Anyway, I have a beautiful 8 month old female, fawn w/ full black mask named Bailey. I bought her in December and my boyfriend has been sick since January. He has had reaccurring sinus infections, all the symptoms of allergies. He's taken medicine and we have several air purifiers but it doesnt seem to help. He cant even play w/ Bailey because anywhere she touches him, he breaks out in hives. As much as I hate to, I think I'm going to need to find her a home where she can get love from the whole family.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I sympathize with you, but I'm not going to touch this.  

Good luck with this.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
508 Posts
Im sorry that you are having to think about even doing this. Only thing i can really say is you know what is best and you go with what your heart says to do.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
You have to do what is best for you, your boyfriend, and Bailey. It takes a really strong person to let go and rehome their pet. That is a really tough situation you are in.  If you do rehome her, please consider going through a rescue organization if you don't already have someone in mind. Rescue groups will check out the perspective new home and family to make sure she will go into a proper environment.  I'm really sorry you have to make this decision. Good luck to you, and please let us know how it is going.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I second what tootsie said.  I would definitely go through rescue or Boxer Rescue if you can.  I know that must be just heartbreaking for you, but you must do what is best for all involved.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Sorry to hear that you will be losing Bailey!!!  and i agree with the rescue idea as well!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Ahhh this breaks my heart! i am sorry that you having to go through this. It is hard when you rehome a pet, especially one that you have had a while. Best of luck to you, your boyfriend and to little Bailey.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The only thing that happens to me is I can get hives from our 2 boxers.  Mainly bumps on my wrists/forearms.  I wash the areas and about 1/2 hr or so later it disappears.  Nothing like congestion or sinus infections.  Usually when I start to get hives, that means it's time for Charlie and Sadie to get a bath.  Might try bathing her really good about every 2 weeks.  That what we do.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Thank you Jeep Juntry! I thought I had remembered that you had some issues with that...I am very sorry to hear that about your b/f. Just curious, has he been tested for allergies? Are you certain it's from dog hair? I'm just trying to help, so please don't take offense. I know the last thing you want is to have to get rid of Bailey and that is a hard decision..If you do have to re-home her I would definitely, if you haven't already found a good home, go thru rescue for the reasons already stated. My self personally, if, god forbid I ever had to do that, that would be the route I would go simply cos they do screen who gets the dogs. I would be assured that my babies would go someplace that they would be well taken care of. My heart goes out to you, it's a no win situation. Please let us know what happens..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has been a hard decision to come to. We came close to giving her to a co-worker a few months back. But my bf decided to try to make it work. Thats when he started to take allergy medicine.  He hasnt had an allergy test, its just how the symptoms appear. He gets better when he is out of the house and quick after getting home, symptoms start. He has never had any of these problems before Bailey.  She gets regular baths, about once a week, due to playing in the mud and being mischievous. We never planned for this. We've had her fixed and have gone to obedience classes. We have done all the hard work. It will seem so quiet and lonely w/o her.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My brother and his 2-year-old son are unbelievably allergic to Tink.  Within 5 minutes of coming into the house their eyes are swollen and streaming, they're constantly sneezing and they have trouble breathing.  They just cannot be around her at all, which is a shame because it means I can't bring her to family gatherings anymore.

I think short, smooth-haired breeds are definitely more likely to cause an allergic reaction in people.  Eoin (my nephew) is the same with a neighbour's Jack Russel but never had any problems with my mam's Westie or his other nana's Cocker Spaniel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts