Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an issue with Lola that's really starting to get to me.  Sometimes she falls asleep on the couch next to me, my bed, her beanbag, etc.  early in the night say 9pm-10pm.  She sleeps in her crate, so around 11pm when I'm ready for bed I'll wake her up to take her outside to go the bathroom, then put her in "her" bed.  She'll wake up fine by me calling her....but she won't move!  I usually have to pick her up and put her on the floor, but when I do that she gets very mad and starts nipping at me and growling.  She's never bit me, but I'm afraid if I don't nip this behavior in the butt that may happen down the line.  Saying no hasn't helped.  
Any suggestions?  
Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have no suggestions, besides telling her no in a stern voice. harley also gets mad when i move her to, she does this annoyed low growl, she has never nipped at me though, as much i tired to get her to stop the growl she still does it to this day. i think she is telling me "damn mama i am comfy!" hopefully you can get your problem solved espically if she is nipping.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Maddie does that to me too, except for the nipping. I think the key is to wake them up fully first before asking them to actually move. I think when Maddie growls at me she isn't fully awake so I can understand her growling at me when I'm pushing her off the couch and she isn't really awake yet.  :?  I guess I would get pretty pissed off too if someone was pushing me out of bed!  8O

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a similar issue with Dixie.  Usually I am first to go to bed and the dogs settle down in bed with me.  Dixie always gets in my hubbys place with her head on his pillow.  When he comes to bed she will wake up when he tells her to move over but she won't budge.  When he moves her over she growls, snarls, and makes ugly faces.   After he insists that she move and physically moves her she will take another place next to me on the other side of the bed and settle down for the night.  This scenario takes place every night.  This has been going on for a long time and has never escalated to biting.  We have just chalked it up to her thinking that he's taking the place that she has staked out for herself.  Maybe more dominance than aggression?

Can't wait to see what the behavior and training experts thoughts and suggestion are.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Lisa, yea, I'd be a mad too if someone was pushing me off the couch, or bed, or wherever..Samson sleeps really deep, so does Angel, but I can wake her up pretty easily...With Samson I just start gently touching him, talking to him until I can see that he is awake, then I attempt (key word there) to move him..In his case I think it's the age thing..They have never snapped or growled at me, but I agree that needs to be stopped now...Make sure she is fully awake before you move her and a stern "no' if she growls or nips. Possibly try having a favorite toy in your hand to divert attention may help...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
wish i could add some miracle advice right now-but i cant :) i agree that you should make sure she is fully alert. Neither of the girls have that issue (they have enough of the others though) so i guess i am a wee bit lucky in that area

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah won't budge either but has never growled or nipped at me when I move her.  I have to move her every night because she always lays down right in the middle of the bed.

·
Registered
948 Posts
My two don't do it..

My bfs sister's rat thing is an ARSE HOLE to the extreme... He think he does what he wants, when he wants and quite honestly, that doesn't fly with me. This dog is babied beyong belief and is VERY VERY unstable because of it (come spend a day with him and you'd rip your hair out).. He growls and snaps even if he's wide awake.. So all I did was put a leash around his neck and if I went to reach for him and he grumbled, I'd pop his leash..

The last time I let him get away with the growling was when he latched onto my hand and broke the skin...  8O  A 12lb dog!!! I still hate that dog to this day but now that my bf's parents and sister are out of town at the beach, he doesn't display his little behaviors be/c "no one is here to allow him to act that way!"..  :D

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's really strange that she does this.  I don't ask her to move until she's fully awake.  For example, it was extremely hot here the other night so I was letting her sleep in my room with the ac.  She ran upstairs and ran into my mother's room and dive onto her bed to say hi.  Then she started scratching and digging at the bed, flipping the comforter around, and then laid down.  So when I went to move her off the bed (calling her wasn't working) she snapped, growled and barked at me.  And she was WIDE awake....with her collar and leash on....which I ended up grabbing and basically dragged her off the bed (without hurting her of course).  So I don't know what her issue is.  This brings up another question though....she constantly scratches and digs on beds and couches.  Why is that?  She's put some nasty claw marks on my new couch..which is why she's only allowed up there if she lays on one of her blankets now!  
Thanks everyone for the advise already given!  But I need more help! :oops:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It sounds to me like you've got the beginnning of dominance issues.

Reinforce your position and step up her training.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lillyzmomma\";p=\"19886 said:
It sounds to me like you've got the beginnning of dominance issues.

Reinforce your position and step up her training.

Liz and Lilly
That's what I thought, she's taking over as alpha (again).  I've really gotten back into her training in the past week.  She's walking better on the leash....we walked past 3 dogs the other day all barking and pulling, she just kept walking and looked up at me like "what's their problem, mom I'm being good!"  And I've started to play take it/thank you with her a lot.  She hasn't been to her trainer in about 4 weeks because she got spayed and he was on vacation, we go back the 16th.  In the meantime I'll keep working on it!  Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts