Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 month old Boxer/Am Bulldog mix Felix and I have been to some formal training. It was a basic course and a few private lessons at a specialized agility facility.
The facility is very well known and probably the best in my area, but my concern is that they were too treat focused for a dog who is so food motivated that the treats served more as a distraction than as incentive. He gets total tunnel vision when you pull out a treat and he will do anything for it. But if he knows you don’t have a treat he is much slower to obey (he still eventually does don’t get me wrong).
I am currently really struggling with his leash walking. He gets 2-3 half hour walks at a fast pace. As well as plenty of other exercise like bush hikes etc. I have tried a halti (best thing for my rescue gsd mix, worst thing for this guy), several harnesses, and a slip lead. The halti was awful because it blocked his breathing. The harness I currently have is the best because it has a martingale style loop at the back that makes it uncomfortable enough to be a deterrent. The Mendotta slip lead didn’t work because it would slip too far down his neck when he was walking well. I also found that the sensation didn’t seem to be enough to deter him from doing it again.
He gets very excited and lunges for sticks when he sees them, and sometimes gets “zoomies” when he finds a particularly interesting piece of foliage.
I constantly reinforce commands when we are in different environments but things like sticks, or the dog park and pet store just turn him into a 90ib Olympian strong man and he pulls no matter the correction to get to the stimuli. It’s incredibly frustrating.
I am currently considering purchasing one of those collars that beeps and vibrates to help with corrections (not a shock collar).
Any suggestions or tips? I’m open to anything at this point.

·
Super Moderator
7,044 Posts
You need to work on loose leash healing and possible incorporate a prong collar but only with a professional that can properly show you how to use it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do the rapid direction change, tried distractions/giving a command when we’re approaching, and the training tools Previously mentioned but none of these seem to be an effective correction for him

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure if any of those you listed are similar to a martingale, but have found a martingale collar works best for Thor (chain martingale not cloth). I use treats on walks too, but use a treat about every fourth command, with lots of praise other three times.

This is what I use for all mine (I also like the fact they donate to shelters one to one):

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Neo-Stainless-Martingale-Collar/dp/B0752ZZR1Z/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3OBXMW1N1K9OF&keywords=martingale+collars+for+dogs+with+snap+buckle&qid=1582324260&sprefix=Martingale,aps,204&sr=8-6&th=1

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
He walks with a loose leash until we come in contact with a stimuli.
How bout starting the walk? Does he pull you out of the house? Do you allow him to walk in front of you?

If your guy gets tunnel vision with treats, have you tried bringing them on walks to divert his attention to whatever stimuli he reacts to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He sits patiently at the door when we’re going out for a walk (butt wiggling). I have treats with me when we go out- and they can break him out of the tunnel vision for the stimuli but I’d like to stop him from just lunging in the first place or pulling madly when he sees the dog park gate/ pet store entrance.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
My 15 month old Boxer/Am Bulldog mix Felix and I have been to some formal training. It was a basic course and a few private lessons at a specialized agility facility.
The facility is very well known and probably the best in my area, but my concern is that they were too treat focused for a dog who is so food motivated that the treats served more as a distraction than as incentive. He gets total tunnel vision when you pull out a treat and he will do anything for it. But if he knows you don’t have a treat he is much slower to obey (he still eventually does don’t get me wrong).
I am currently really struggling with his leash walking. He gets 2-3 half hour walks at a fast pace. As well as plenty of other exercise like bush hikes etc. I have tried a halti (best thing for my rescue gsd mix, worst thing for this guy), several harnesses, and a slip lead. The halti was awful because it blocked his breathing. The harness I currently have is the best because it has a martingale style loop at the back that makes it uncomfortable enough to be a deterrent. The Mendota slip lead didn’t work because it would slip too far down his neck when he was walking well. I also found that the sensation didn’t seem to be enough to deter him from doing it again.
He gets very excited and lunges for sticks when he sees them, and sometimes gets “zoomies” when he finds a particularly interesting piece of foliage.
I constantly reinforce commands when we are in different environments but things like sticks, or the dog park and pet store just turn him into a 90ib Olympian strong man and he pulls no matter the correction to get to the stimuli. It’s incredibly frustrating.
I am currently considering purchasing one of those collars that beeps and vibrates to help with corrections (not a shock collar).
Any suggestions or tips? I’m open to anything at this point.
Well first, welcome aboard! And we would certainly like to see pictures of this guy ... of this guy, when you get the chance! :)

And it does not matter, what the reputation of wherever it is you took him is??? They pretty clearly, can not train "Dog's" like this ... with what they do??

It sounds like they are a general purpose, "Positive Only" dog training School that works best with much more, laid back easy going dog's??

They did what they do and left the rest up to you, to figure out??? But in as much as you made no mention of him being particularly, Dog Aggressive??? At least they got that right. :)

And the, "Treat Thing??" Well ... "Treats are a two edged sword??" Used properly, they can be used to Shape and Lure Behaviour's. Used incorrectly as you've seen ... they are used to "Bribe a Dog into behaving well ... briefly!

And the Dog Park (anyway) and Petco or wherever??? Those are absolutely the two worst places ... you can take a dog with "Attitude!" If you want to learn ... the proper way to break up a dog fight without getting hurt?? Those would be the two best places ... to understand what, "Leerburgh," is coming from.

No competent, qualified trainer that could help you ... would ever recommend, there client take their dog to a Dog Park!" It's a shoot out at the OK Corral, just waiting for that dog and that owner to come in and **** that shotgun! And then it's "Game On!" Happens all the time. Or so I've read?? Now there are way's to make relatively safe use of Dog Park's, but hey that's another topic!

And just forget the harness ...period end of story! Engineering notwithstanding a "Harness is designed for a dog to "Pull!" Now once you train a dog walk properly on a "Loose Leash,"
then you can walk using anything you chose or uh ... "Nothing!" But it takes time and you have to build a proper foundation using a, "Proper Tool!" Which would be ... and sigh yeah I know a "British Slip Lead," (and yes I know the slipping down thing!) But ... I just happen to be, "The SLL, Guy." :)

A regular collar and a "Flat Leash," or ...sigh a "Martingale Collar," which is uh ... Not a Training Collar, at all! A Martingale Collar is designed, to keep, "Slippery Headed Dog's," from ditching there collars at will! That is why they have the "limit built into them on how much they can "constrict!"

If you are training with a Martindale," you are training with a regular collar and a, flat leash but hey if people, feel they are using something "special" and it works for them and there dog ... no harm, no foul. :)

And of course the "Prong Collar!" Which is the tool of choice for 90 % of the "Pro's," out there and the tool that most of them teach their clients to use ... "Properly!" And of course the "E-Collar!"

Which is the fastest, most Humane and most efficient way to, properly train a dog ... if you know what your doing! A steep learning curve on that one!

Ok well I got uh ... much, much more but I suppose this is enough for now?? But I will add that Matt already asked the right question! How is he getting out of the house! And he seem's fine there you just gotta make that ... applicable everywhere! :)

And right now ... with his out of control behaviour at the Dog Park Gate and The PetCo bit?? You are ... pushing him, way over threshold ... and everytime you go to those places and he gets away with that crap!! The more he gets to practice that, "Pulling at Threshold Crap Behaviour," the better at it he gets ... just saying. :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have a 12month old male boxer who is very large he has been resistant to training for the pulling issue. I did resort to a prong collar but you do have to use them correctly. I will usually circle him in front of a door or whatever he is excited about until we can approach calmly. I have a second handle tied into my leash (just a loop) near his collar and I leave it there to give him a quick reminder that he is to pay attention to me. I have never used treats for any dog I have trained. I know my dog is young and he will outgrow this stage so the key is to be patient and not over correct the prong collar is not for causing the dog to obey out of pain it is simply a reminder to the dog there is someone on the other end of the leash that it has to pay attention to and it does help with the forward motion but a determined dog will pull against it anyway so it does have to be used correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I’m going to clarify this again- his training in every other capacity sticks. He waits before we leave the house, he has impeccable impulse control in the house and no dog aggression issues.
The trouble I’m facing is surrounding very specific stimuli. We’ll be out walking, plenty of slack in the leash and he sees a squirrel or stick and he just goes right for it. When we pull up at the dog park (which in my area isn’t a pathetic corral it’s just a fenced in trail through the bush, I live Canada) he starts pulling as soon as I release him from the sit command as I lock the car.
The two pet stores we visit are just small boutique stores and he does the same thing.
I can snap him out of it by saying “Felix, treat!” but that isn’t training.
My worry with a prong collar is that these lurches are so sudden and so strong he will, without question hurt himself. When I was using the slip lead and these things would happen he would just pull until he choked. And again- reminding you that he walks with a loose leash otherwise. I’m wondering if it’s his age too?
I purchased an ecollar today- Fingers crossed it helps. I’ve done plenty of training with different trainers with my GSD mix (now passed) and this dog has me and quite a few people puzzled.
I’m constantly complimented on his training... but then we go near the pet stores or dog park and hell breaks loose

·
Registered
646 Posts
The prong collar will not cut him open or anything like that (unless used incorrectly) he will pull against it feel resistance and stop the forward motion. Its good for a quick reminder like squirrel or anything else you see that is a trigger for him a lot of this is immaturity and he will probably outgrow a lot of this. It almost sounds to me like he is being rewarded for bad behavior if you give him a treat when he is about to react you are telling him this is ok and reinforcing it. Good luck with your new collar

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
So I’m going to clarify this again- his training in every other capacity sticks. He waits before we leave the house, he has impeccable impulse control in the house and no dog aggression issues.
The trouble I’m facing is surrounding very specific stimuli. We’ll be out walking, plenty of slack in the leash and he sees a squirrel or stick and he just goes right for it. When we pull up at the dog park (which in my area isn’t a pathetic corral it’s just a fenced in trail through the bush, I live Canada) he starts pulling as soon as I release him from the sit command as I lock the car.
The two pet stores we visit are just small boutique stores and he does the same thing.
I can snap him out of it by saying “Felix, treat!” but that isn’t training.
My worry with a prong collar is that these lurches are so sudden and so strong he will, without question hurt himself. When I was using the slip lead and these things would happen he would just pull until he choked. And again- reminding you that he walks with a loose leash otherwise. I’m wondering if it’s his age too?
I purchased an ecollar today- Fingers crossed it helps. I’ve done plenty of training with different trainers with my GSD mix (now passed) and this dog has me and quite a few people puzzled.
I’m constantly complimented on his training... but then we go near the pet stores or dog park and hell breaks loose
Does he know heel? I would have him in a heel and if he pulls say no, and not move another inch until he is back in position. Will take a long time and a lot of patience but I would only move forward until he isn't pulling. Any time he pulls, its no, and no movement forward until he is calm. Maybe also just sit and be calm for a bit outside the car before you go on the trail. Let him take 10-15 minutes to realize leaving the car doesn't mean pull me to the trail

Do you have a trainer who is experienced in the e-collar? If not, watch a ton of video's on line about it from good trainers. There is a learning curve with it, and the correct way to use it. It is possible to use it incorrectly and make the dog worse.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So yes to knowing how to heel- he will stop momentarily and heel when I tell him but he lurches forward after he heels.
Yes to the trainer with ecollar experience.
I’ve talked to almost all the trainers in the surrounding area and they all strongly oppose prong collars and there’s no stores in the area that even sell them (maybe bylaw?).

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And to clarify- he’s not being rewarded for bad behaviour. When I offer a treat or say treat. His attention is redirected and he immediately sits and waits for a command-
I’m just struggling with these launches!!! Like he listens. Well. This isn’t my first stubborn dog. He just gets tunnel vision when he sees something exciting and he can’t control himself and will lurch.
Of course I don’t move forward or reward him when he’s trying to pull towards his stimuli. I’ll force him to walk the other way or when appropriate I keep reinforcing heel. He listens, then lurches. It’s these sudden, jerky movements.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
So yes to knowing how to heel- he will stop momentarily and heel when I tell him but he lurches forward after he heels.
Yes to the trainer with ecollar experience.
I’ve talked to almost all the trainers in the surrounding area and they all strongly oppose prong collars and there’s no stores in the area that even sell them (maybe bylaw?).
Good looking boy.

I've always used a slip lead cause its what i'm comfortable with. Never really had a pulling issue. I had the tunnel vision with my guy, but it was just staring at other dogs, no pulling.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Flexi leashes, leashes longer than 6ft, tie outs and etc are all illegal in my area too
Its unfortunate that they outlaw tools. What they should have outlawed is ill behavior of humans.

I use a prong collar. I feel many activists against the use of the collar haven't a clue about them. They do look menacing but they are not and a proper prong collar has rounded ends.

I have used them for over 20 years. When I walk any of my dogs I have no issues when they are on the prong collar. There are times now that I have it on them but they are actually walking a flat collar. Especially my st. poodle had issues of joyous leaping , with a flat collar he literally chokes himself but on a prong collar he walks on a loose leash very nicely. No chasing after squirrels or other stimuli. I am presently working with him on e-collar training too, which is going pretty well. I am working more on me with timing. I really like the prong collar as my dog only yanked himself on it 1 or 2 times in the beginning and learned very quickly he did not like his neck being pinched.
Sorry I'm making this long a friend of my daughters took in a shelter dog about 4 months ago. He was totally unruly and weighs about 50 lbs. She wanted a emotional support dog. He had already been returned to the shelter 3x for his unruly behavior . He would jump at you bite and lunge at people and dogs. Well we went to help her and introduced him to the prong collar. He has totally changed, walks nicely on his leash, no longer jumps on you when your trying to walk him. Of course he is getting mentally stimulated now too (which yours already has) but he is now in a forever home, and she can take him with her to the Pet store now and other big box stores where allowed. He also goes to their apartment complex dog park and does well.

It sounds to me that you have put a lot of time and effort into training and I am confident you will get this one behavior under control too.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I agree training aids are tools not ways of life or a way to abuse any dog and frankly I have never read anyone's post on here that would try to harm their dog on purpose or abuse them in any way. Most of us here love and treasure our dogs and making them safe to walk and for others to be around is a top priority. I take my dogs out in public all the time and we do go occasionally to the dog park just for exposure to other dogs and people doesn't mean we always go in but it is a good spot for them to observe other dogs and sometimes we find dogs that are suitable to have play time with. I don't know why a 6ft lead would ever be outlawed either that's what I do my trail walking with my dogs with. I think there is a hypersensitive ignorance about proper training methods out there. Handing treats to a dog is like giving candy to a spoiled willful child with about the same results.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Flexi leashes, leashes longer than 6ft, tie outs and etc are all illegal in my area too
OK then. If "prong Collar's," are illegal where you are??? That goes a long way in explaining, the complete lack of understanding of what they do and how they work!

And it seems like you have pretty much zero, chance of finding anyone that understands and could show you how to use a "Prong Collar"properly, were you are?? Sigh ... that's to bad cuz this would be about a two minute fix with a properly fitted Prong Collar and you'd have to do uh next to nothing! A self correcting solution as it were. Course if they are "Illegal" ??? Where you are that's another issues uh ... sorta. :)

It seems that Prongs are frowned upon , where you are but E-Collar's are not??? That's kinda ... odd???

I use the SLL 99% of the time by choice and "necessity." WIth Rescues Work, they will only let use a SSL. And they will caution you that, "this dog Pull's!" ANd 9 times out 10 they do ... for most people but not ... if you understand dog's and how to properly use a SLL. I tend to thing the SLL is more of an Art than a Science??

I have had only three "Hard Core," I don't wanna case's?? Where perhaps a Prong would have been more effective quickly?? And ironically enough all Bully's! A seriously Big/Hugh Headed APBT/Cross. That was having none of it ... I does what I want, when I wants!!

He tried to pull like a fright train! FIne then see where that get's you?? He gave that up and then went to biting, the leash another fail for him. And then flipping and spinning ... another fail for him.

Finally after he was done with his crap?? I had spent about fifteen minutes just getting him to move forward and that is a long time for me, to just for walking??? And we did finally move forward ... LOL he was not??? About three steps forward and he would dart, "Hard in front of me, from left to right, WTH??? I never was able to solve that one as I was just helping out an owner ... that did not care?? He said he had tow more dog's just like him and they do the same thing?? Most likely he does leash any of them and has no control of them ... fortunately ... he did not leave me.

And another hmm Boxer/APBT?? Backyard dog for five years at the time. My neighbors and I volunteered to walk her ... Yeah ... she was fine for about five feet, and she started to tug and I corrected her with a slight tug sideways?? And she shut down hard!! A hard core, "Plopper Downer!"

Straight to the ground and she was not gonna move!! It took about 30 minutes to get her from directly in front of her home to half to the neighbor's house ANd the house's her are close!! So now I know. The next day we load her in the car to go to the Vet. And the same behaviour ...away from home on a leash?? Soo ... I'll ploy down?? The staff of course use those really narrow SLL's. ANd while they are fine for most dog's ... they would not work with Bree?? So I intervened. I'll take her in the room and out. And now off familiar ground ... there was no one to trust ...save for me?? It went fine we checked out and again not on home turf?? SLL in hand we went for a walk and she did great!!

If you'd have seen her ... she'd have given the impression of a well trained dog that walks on leash ... all the time!! Just getting her off "Home Turf," made all the difference ... who knew???

And there was Stewie, my first Boxer/APBT rescue 4 months ... he was excellent on leash! And did not really need one?? As he would like to demonstrate at worst of time's?? If we came under thread by other dog's on a walk. Stewie could chuck his collar at will??? And I would he left with a collar and leash and no dog?? But it was all good as he would not leave my side under duress ... he just did not like that crap on him??

I never did figure out he did that ... but Martindale Collar's are designed to prevent that! Martindale's are not "Training Collar's," despite what folks seem to be belive but hey if it works for them .. it's all good!

And finally keeping it both current and on topic, we come to Bella! My current APBT/Boxer! And the first dog I have used ... "properly," a Prong Collar on! And it worked just fine! I used the SLL for the most part and walk her with that daily. But she does want to forge ahead a bit on the SLL, it's annoying and we are still working on it.

But with the "Prong Collar," she does not that. But "my" issue with the "Prong Collar," is they are a PIA to fit, and to take on and take off?? It's annoying and without a D clip to there regular, they can "pop off!"

So day in day out a typical prong collar can be a PIA?? But because, "Prong Collar's," are illegal in some part's of the World ... people have found other means, Sealth Prong's. There were other types' out but these seem to be thing now??

Keeper Collar's, seem to be the thing now and they do seem to have an advantage even if you don't need to "Hide," a Prong Collar ie they fit with a buckle no clipping and unc,, over a "real Prong," collar even where you don't need to hide them. No un clipping and re clipping prong's to fit them required! :)

Pretty cool actually but not cheap?? I'll have to see if Bella is still enough of a PIA on walks to make it worth it?? It's the last 5% or so where she get's ... annoying?? :)

And with additional information here ... I do have a few suggestions that pretty much require no special tools at all! Just a diffrent approach. But you know somehow we got off on "Prong

1 - 20 of 25 Posts