Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Boxer Forum,
Looking for advice from people who may have experienced an aggressive boxer before:
My wife and I are planning on receiving a boxer from my father, though she has had issues with dogs in the past. She is a 3 yr old Boxer (not spayed) who has a history of being violent with their female German Shepherd. Unfortunately, we can see that the Boxer doesn’t get as much attention and love as we see it deserves, which we believe is the root of most of its behavioral issues. Worst of all, the boxer was attempted to be rehomed before, and that led to a violent encounter with a small dog in the new home, leading to it being killed. The dog was returned home back to my father and was continued to be neglected.
So my wife and I decided to take the charge and bring the dog to our home and remove it from its situation. We have a small male Maltese and a male cat and considered starting the boxer as an outside dog and slowly integrating it into the rest of the house.
My biggest inspiration was when I last saw the dog, she was so loving and playful when we gave her the attention. I feel and see that she can change and, with enough attention, get the stigma removed of her being an evil dog. We have about 2-3 weeks to prepare before bringing her home.
Does anyone have some advice on initial integration or any personal stories they may have of a similar situation, good or bad?
Thanks in advanced!

-Marcos

·
Super Moderator
7,084 Posts
Hi Marcos,

Your fathers dog has dog aggression. This doesn’t mean they are a nasty aggressive dog, it just means that they prefer to be an only dog and would be better placed in a home as the only pet.

The amount of lan attention you give will not correct this one bit.
The fact that you have 2 small animals in the home is quite concerning. Boxers are not outside dogs, they think they are people and enjoy being apart of the family. The risk that your cat or dog will be attacked or mauled is HIGH.
Why not contact a breed specific rescue and see if they can help place her as an only dog. She also needs to be spayed, ASAP

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have never been a fan of mixing small dogs and big dogs in the same household. It sounds like the Boxer and the female German Shepherd had a female dominance thing going on there to start with German Shepherd females are every bit as bad as female Boxers with this so bad combination. The fact this dog has already killed a smaller dog should be very alarming to you its really not a good idea to introduce this dog to your home with a cat and a small dog. I am sure she is a perfectly nice dog to humans but not with other animals sounds like she was never reigned in with her worst behaviors as a puppy and now she is an adult changing that is going to be very hard if not impossible and if you love your smaller animals don't put their lives in danger. Boxers are not outside dogs and if she is kept in an isolated situation her behavior is only going to get worse. She should be placed in a home where there are no other animals and she can get the attention and training she needs.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Listen to Kaco Boxers, she is a long time boxer breeder and knows who she is talking about. If you bring her into your home it will be another failure for her, and likely you will lose your maltese or cat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the responses, honestly. We needed some advice on that for sure. It’s a truth we were hoping wasn’t a reality, but it might be better off for both parties. Thanks to everyone who responded.
I love the boxer breed after growing up with one when I was a kid, but I definitely don’t know enough about them. Maybe one day when the situations are different, we can make this a reality. Thanks again!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Don't give up on having a Boxer one day I just don't think this particular Boxer in your situation would be a good fit. I have always had cats with my Boxers and have never had a problem but I introduce them as puppies and we go from there. Keep your mind open to Boxers not all of them have these kinds of aggression issues.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I think its a good decision not to take this particular dog. There are many good boxer rescues out there and if you contact boxer club , inform them of her issues and ask them for a good rescue for this this dog they can assist in finding her a good home where she will be safe and loved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I personally have a alpha male boxer he doesn't like anyone in his space human or animal as been like this is whole life. He sees small dogs as a playtoy and cats forget about it they would be done.. You can do this and see if it works is to separate them for they are never together this is what my cuz does with his two dogs and it as worked out great. I would not get rid of this boxer as its your dads and will bring you lot of great memories you can do this it wont be easy. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. She will give you so much unconditional love and just needs a stable home

1 - 9 of 9 Posts