Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Moose is 18 weeks old. He ate a puff all mushroom 4 days ago and spent 5 hours in the ER, he threw up around 20 times that night, towards the end it was only stomach bile. Ever since that night he isn’t interested in drinking water, since I have him in the rice and boiled chicken diet for now Iv been adding 2 cups of broth to each meal and he slurps it right up, BUT he is peeing like you would not believe and every.single.time it’s CLEAR. Last night he even had an accident in the house which never happens anymore. I brought him for bloodwork and urinalysis. Bloodwork came back fine but we are still waiting on urinalysis. Oh another thing his poops today are yellow and super “rubbery” the don’t smudge when being picked up but are shiny and stay together but very soft. My biggest concern is where in the hell is he getting all this liquid he’s been peeing out?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oyea and activity levels seem fine. Still a very active and playful pup.!

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's good that he is acting normal. I'm guessing you've checked for the obvious things like standing water in the backyard or your house. I've never measured to see about how much they drink from their bowls on average, it would be a good thing to know I guess.... How many times a day are you feeding him? The two cups of broth may be more than he was normally drinking from his water bowl...

If you get concerned about his intake and he's not peeing so well, you could try ice. One of our boys loves ice. One sometimes likes it. The other doesn't really care for it - unless it has something on it (if it has something on it from whatever we are drinking).

Watermelon could be a good alternative for a little add'l water. I don't know how long it takes for the mushroom toxin to be all clear, so you may want to check with the vet before giving him watermelon.

I hope he continues to do well.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Im going to guess, but if you feed him 2 times a day that would be 4 cups of broth. Thats a decent amount of liquid. Could be after all that broth his body doesn't need the liquid. That seems like a lot of broth for an 18 week old pup. Could also explain the change in stool

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the misunderstanding, when I said “cup” i didn’t mean it as a “measured cup” I should of clarified. The “cup” I use measured out to be 1/2 cup of liquid so that would make it a full cup of broth for two out of the three servings (I haven’t been been giving him the broth at night to avoid accidents) but I didn’t think about the broth equaling or being more than what he was previously drinking from his bowl. Still his pee being crystal clear each time has me a little worried.

I’m going to address broth tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.

And he is another one who loves ice cubes, he could eat/play with them all day.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding, when I said “cup” i didn’t mean it as a “measured cup” I should of clarified. The “cup” I use measured out to be 1/2 cup of liquid so that would make it a full cup of broth for two out of the three servings (I haven’t been been giving him the broth at night to avoid accidents) but I didn’t think about the broth equaling or being more than what he was previously drinking from his bowl. Still his pee being crystal clear each time has me a little worried.

Oh ok lol. I was thinking 4 cups of broth was a crazy amount.

I give about a tablespoon of my own bone broth with each meal 3 times a day and he is anywhere from 85-88 lbs. I did notice one time I gave him a bit more as it was the end of the bowl I keep it in and what a mistake. He had the runs for 3 days. Obviously each dog is different but I do about 3 tablespoons a day.

Are there any other water sources around that you might not see him getting into? I'm guessing he is way to young to get to the toilet. haha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok lol. I was thinking 4 cups of broth was a crazy amount.

I give about a tablespoon of my own bone broth with each meal 3 times a day and he is anywhere from 85-88 lbs. I did notice one time I gave him a bit more as it was the end of the bowl I keep it in and what a mistake. He had the runs for 3 days. Obviously each dog is different but I do about 3 tablespoons a day.

Are there any other water sources around that you might not see him getting into? I'm guessing he is way to young to get to the toilet. haha

Yes to short to get into the toilet, unless he opens the doors and sneaks out at night while we are sleeping he’s not getting into any random puddles, I’ve checked the backyard many times trying to get rid of mushrooms and rabbit turds(his favorite) and there isn’t any standing water or containers that might collect water that he can get to. I’m going to stop the broth all together for now and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yes to short to get into the toilet, unless he opens the doors and sneaks out at night while we are sleeping he’s not getting into any random puddles, I’ve checked the backyard many times trying to get rid of mushrooms and rabbit turds(his favorite) and there isn’t any standing water or containers that might collect water that he can get to. I’m going to stop the broth all together for now and see if that changes anything.

Haha, same for Zuke when he was a pup. I swear he liked rabbit pellets more than anything. If I put a steak or a bowl of rabbit pellets I guarantee he would have chose the rabbit pellets.

Well good luck, hopefully the urinalysis comes back fine and maybe he was just getting enough liquid from the broth. Have to believe if he was dehydrated you would know really quick. There would be such a drastic change in energy and his overall demeanor.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Whenever I have had to have any of my dogs on chicken & rice their stool is more yellow. I use only boneless no skin chicken breast and white rice. Be sure you re giving more rice then chicken and that will firm him up. I've never had to use broth. I usually do this diet for almost two weeks then begin to taper it off adding his own food to the rice and less chicken until we are totally back on track. If his stool doesn't firm up with more rice then I would have it checked by the vet.

·
Registered
634 Posts

It's good he likes ice so you have hydration options if needed! Anytime we get ice in the kitchen he comes running in for a piece or two. Sometimes we will put 5 or so in a bowl for him. He has a great time when they fall on the floor. LOL

How's Moose doing now?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it seems I was actually adding to much broth to his food, he’s pees are yellow and back on schedule!!! He’s also drinking on his own again. Urinalysis still hasn’t come back yet but I’m guessing we are in the clear! Thank you guys.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
So it seems I was actually adding to much broth to his food, he’s pees are yellow and back on schedule!!! He’s also drinking on his own again. Urinalysis still hasn’t come back yet but I’m guessing we are in the clear! Thank you guys.

Glad to her he is recovery well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

He’s back to being a happy pup playing with his big brother Otis!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The two best friends that anybody’s ever had!!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Cute photos! Happy boys!
Now you have that song in my head....we're the 3 (or two in this case) best friends that.... LOL

Is Moose a talker? We have found that the brindle and reverse brindles tend to 'talk' more than our fawn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cute photos! Happy boys!
Now you have that song in my head....we're the 3 (or two in this case) best friends that.... LOL

Is Moose a talker? We have found that the brindle and reverse brindles tend to 'talk' more than our fawn.

Honestly he’s not very vocal at all yet, he growls slightly when he’s in the middle of a wrestling match with a toy.

A murderer with bells strapped to his waist and a metal glove could knock on the door and he would just stare at the door from where ever he is sitting.
He doesn’t bark back at other dogs either.

BUT we brought him up to our camp in Maine this weekend for a long weekend and two separate nights he jumped up off the couch and guarded the door with his big boy bark and his big strong stance.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just was wondering how Moose is doing did you ever get his test results back? I am always worried my dogs would eat a mushroom these two I have now are terrible when it comes to yard surfing for stuff to eat they are particularly fond of mulch and even though my female is 1 1/2 years old she still does it my male is 7mo old and he is still very into eating off the ground its so frustrating I have to stand over them when they are out to make sure they don't eat something gross or something that may harm them I have removed everything toxic from the yard but I am on patrol all the time for anything else they may find. I have feral cats around my neighborhood too so I have to watch out for "cat deposits" most of the time they like to hunt for crickets and are crazy for any sticks they find but I am about to remove all mulch from the yard! Its making me crazy! I am glad I got plain mulch that is not treated with anything but still it can't be good for them! I have had puppies do this in the past but never grown dogs I just don't understand! I put some of their toys to keep outside to play with too balls ect. NOPE mulch is much much better!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts