Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Bo is done with his 7-way vaccines and is getting his rabies tomorrow, and then either later this week or next week will be getting the snip snip

Jetta is going in tomorrow to check for a UTI...and we found what seems to be a very nice place
They were the most pleasant vet on the phone and they seem knowledgable...they are also affordable and very close to home...they are doing the rabies, two office visits and the urinalysis for $81 bucks...is this a good price?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Re: Health update

Not sure about the pricing but I hope the vet works out for you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so they went in today

Jetta is 26 lbs...overall healthy, elevated WBC in urine, put on amoxycillan (sp?) 1 pills 2X per day for 10 days

Bo- the doc had never seen anything like his swollen neck as the result of the vaccine...it has traveled to below his chin...but no trouble breathing, eating, etc...she said to give 50mg benedryl 2X a day for 72 hours...and he did great with his rabies...

·
Registered
412 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"57745 said:
Ok, so Bo is done with his 7-way vaccines and is getting his rabies tomorrow, and then either later this week or next week will be getting the snip snip

Jetta is going in tomorrow to check for a UTI...and we found what seems to be a very nice place
They were the most pleasant vet on the phone and they seem knowledgable...they are also affordable and very close to home...they are doing the rabies, two office visits and the urinalysis for $81 bucks...is this a good price?
 7 way vaccine. Gosh that sounds like an awefull harsh shot all at once. Just curious, what is it covering?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the vaccination of healthy, susceptible dogs against disease caused by canine distemper, hepatitis (canine adenovirus type 1), canine adenovirus type 2, parainfluenza, parvovirus, leptospira canicola and leptospira icterohaemorrhagiae.

That is what our vets do here too...they vaccinate all of the shots at once

This is the one I got
https://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wc ... :ClickInfo

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Poor puppy I hope the benedryl helps that sounds painful.  Your poor babies.  I'm glad they are doing better.  I hope that it continues.  Its hard when your babies don't feel good.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
funny thing is, he doesn't seem to show any pain from it...Jetta even bit him there last night...and no sign of pain...weird

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"57745 said:

My vet charges $78 just for the office visit...so imo you're in good hands!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Glad to hear that things checked out okay for them. I'm sure Jetta's WBC will lower soon with the meds. Hope Bo recovers quickly. They are stronger than we think...that helps me get through when my baby is not feeling well. Just remember how tough these little guys are. Thanks for keeping us updated. Kisses to both of them!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Wow that is a lot of shots.  Mine would never admin. anything above 5 in a visit, however we never get anything more than two and every vet is different.     Vaccines IMO are over pushed.  To have a healthy pet you do not need half of the 7 way shots, mine only get the yearly and rabies, that it.     There are many sites and articles that descripe over vaccination.   Its one of those things that is moral thing, rather than a necessary ones:)

Glad she is doing better and getting health:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just found out that the low cost spay/neuter clinic can't get him in until February...which will be right around Jetta's 6 month birthday...so...hopefully that will work...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I agree with the vaccination thing- vets push them, but after doing my own research i've decided against giving all of them.  Felix got 5-way for his puppy shots- no lepto as I had read boxers in particular can have bad reactions to it.  Also some of the vaccines only protect against one or two strains of many out there (lepto for instance).

I do not intend to give Delilah or Felix any more vaccines except for rabies and only b/c it's necessary to get them licensed. I've found a vet that does a three year rabies, so they will only get the rabies shot every three years also.  People don't get booster shots every year, why are vets pumping our pets with them?
If you are worried that your dog will not be protected, you can do titers instead of the vaccine to see if they still have the antibodies in their blood.
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... r_test.htm

I'm not saying everyone should only do rabies, but I think its important to do your own research about things like this. It is still important to get yearly check-ups as well. I'm sure vets mean well, but maybe they never questioned what they were taught- they do recommend horrible dog food don't they? (A lot of them anyway)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, Jetta has bad vaccine reactions, she will get her 1 year booster then every 3-5 years after that...Bo will get his  1 year booster than every 3-5 years after that...both will get rabies

1 - 19 of 19 Posts