Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is with enormous pain that I am adding to this thread. Kai is experiencing some major problems which all appear neurological. I can't afford a MRI but we are doing a ultra sound on this coming Monday to see if it shows anything. He walks like he is walking on nails, very stiff and will trip, all 4 legs. When he eats he has trouble to swallow and will regurgitate undigested food. We hoped this was a inner ear infection but antibiotics n paid meds are not really helping much. Our vet feels it is a tumor on his brain stem. Not sure how to handle any of this at that's time, will just hug on him till Monday and see if the ultra sound shows any other reason this can be happening.

·
Registered
446 Posts
OMG I am SO sorry, I know this must be hard. Are there any teaching Universities around you? Sometimes the ones with Vet schools in them will give you a break on MRI's and stuff. Could he have slipped a disk in his back or anything? Could this be some kind of serious stomach issue? I know when my dogs had pancreatitis they would walk with their stomachs all tight and could not move forward well. I think a lot of Vets will automatically because its a Boxer jump right in on the cancer thing without giving a thorough look around I have had this happen to me SO many times now. I hope the ultrasound comes out ok and we will be praying for you guys.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Oh man, so sorry to hear this Linda. Hopefully the vet is just giving you worst case scenario and its something treatable. Good luck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh I am SO SORRY!! Do they have any idea what was wrong with him? This seems so sudden too. I know you did everything you could for him and I know you gave him all the love I dog could want. Again I am so sorry.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[email protected] all happened rather suddenly, about 3-4 days ago (I'm not thinking straight) Kai started to flinch when you petted him and seemed to be leaning toward h is left and was not walking right. He was stiff like, kinda looked like it hurt. He was weak and his equilibrium was off. His vet felt it could be neurological but we could try antibiotics and pain med to see if it would help. After 3 days it did not so he scheduled a MRI at a specialty clinic about an hour away, they would see us this coming Wednesday. I decided that I wanted a ultra sound since that could be done local and sooner which was for tomorrow , Monday. Yesterday he was outside with us enjoying some fresh air, thought it would be good for him, plus he always likes to be around us. My daughter walked him to the end of our driveway and into the backyard where he suddenly started to salivate. We go him him and he continued to salivate but by the bucket load and was choking. We tried to calm him and he fell to his side and we knew it was a seizure. He did not come out of it, we had to pick him up (not easy when a dog is in this condition and 84 lbs.) rushed him to the ER clinic. When we got they they helped get him out out the car, he was seizing still and his temperature was up to 107. After giving him med and a IV he was not any better and the vet felt his prognosis was dire. It is believed he had a brain stem tumor. As it affected his mobility even his ability to eat properly. The last two day he would salivate while eating, choke some spit up food then be normal again. Kai was truly our heart dog and m y daughter emotional support dog as well, my heart aches and I don't feel I will ever want another. We could take him anywhere and he would sit and wiggle his butt for anyone to love on him. He didn't have one bad behavior, never chewed up my house, never messed in the house, never jumped didn't pull on leash, and loved everyone, He was only 5 years and 6 months old and certainly should have had many more years, Both his parents are healthy 9 years olds. WE still have two dogs in the house, the standard poodle and a cairn terrier, neither compare to Kai. I love them but its not the same. This is our last picture

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh my heart is just breaking for you! I am so sorry this is so awful. Its doubly awful since he was such a good dog and you all loved him so much he was such a big part of your life too. I feel like you do there are no other dogs to replace a boxer they just don't. I have had experience with a brain tumor in one of my boxers and it ended badly as well and it did come on very suddenly and quietly at first and seizures and lots of drooling happened as well I think his symptoms developed over 5 or 6 days as well. There was really nothing you could do for him so don't beat yourself up over that even if you were sure what was going on. Its just a sad fact it seems brachealsaphalic dogs are more prone to brain tumors. My previous dogs manifested in one of the worst ways as did another boxer owner I know of. Please take comfort in knowing your Kai had a good life even though it was too short and he wiggled all the time and was glad to see everyone because his life was so good and he was happy. I believe our pets have souls because anything that is capable of the unconditional love our dogs give us must have the same gift from God we have we will see each other again some day I do believe that! Hugs to you.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Aww Lindar ... I sa so very sorry for your loss! This (news) struck me as as hard as the sudden loss of "Aspen" a few years ago. :(

We tend to think that the "Boxer Curse??" Won't befall the more well know Boxer's on here ... but "sometimes it does??" None of us are immune and sometimes ... life just "SUCKS!"

And I know ,I for one kept asking is Kai ... still your daughters dog?? Fortunately ... I saw this so I will no longer ask. :(

And cutting through a whole lot of "people stuff!" And understanding that you are most certainly ... not looking for a another "Boxer" right now! But take some time to regroup and if you decide ... you want another Boxer ... in your life?? I would highly suggest a White Boxer??

I've been there ... and when I lost my Stewie (Boxer/Pit) he was a Fawn and very Boxer like. And at the time ... I could not bare looking at a Fawn Boxer without breaking into tears .. But I desperately "needed" another Boxer in my life! I tried Brindle .(Heidi) .. and sigh that did not work to well for me ... and running out of color's ... I tried a "White Boxer???'

Struddell ... worked out "better" but then DM in year eight?? But notwithstanding that ... my point is I did get the "Boxe Sun Shine," back in my life and because she was a "White," I did not get the same sense of sadness from just looking her at her!

Boxer's are kinda sorta different?? And if you try and get another Flashy to "replace," KAI??? It would be very, very hard on you??? But a with a White Boxer ... you'd can get the same expressions, the same silliness and you won't make the same comparison to Kai ... exactly. :)

It sounds silly but it's a thing. And sad as DM taking my STruddell (eventually) away from me ... I want a another White Female Boxer. Just a thought.

At any rate, we understand your pain. This is just as much a shock as it was when we lost "Aspen and then Jessmike. So yeah "now," you don't have a "Boxer" but you know ... don't disappear on us ... OK. And yet again sorry for your loss. :Take Care, (

·
Registered
446 Posts
Linda51 I hope you are doing ok, all of us have been thru this and its a terrible time. I felt the same way you do right now about not getting another dog when I lost my 7 year old and my 3 year old boxers they were the best dogs in the world and they were my best friends it was terrible to lose them within 6 months of each other too I didn't think I was going to come thru it I hurt so much I still miss them every single day. I did find after awhile that I missed a boxer in my house like I said not other dog will do. When I was ready I researched breeders and got on a waiting list I was worried if I was ready to risk my heart again and I had some reservations but you only live once so I decided to go ahead and I am glad I did there is a healing not forgetting. You will know when you are ready for this its too soon now I am sure. One thing has been sitting in the back of my mind did you tell me you used Nexguard flea and tick? Hugs to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is with enormous pain that I am adding to this thread. Kai is experiencing some major problems which all appear neurological. I can't afford a MRI but we are doing a ultra sound on this coming Monday to see if it shows anything. He walks like he is walking on nails, very stiff and will trip, all 4 legs. When he eats he has trouble to swallow and will regurgitate undigested food. We hoped this was a inner ear infection but antibiotics n paid meds are not really helping much. Our vet feels it is a tumor on his brain stem. Not sure how to handle any of this at that's time, will just hug on him till Monday and see if the ultra sound shows any other reason this can be happening.
I went through this with Diesel. I took him to Blue they specialize in making a diagnosis. My options after he was diagnosed with a brain tumor were MRI then Chemo. I opted out.
I too thought and my vet but was ruled out inner ear maybe vestibular...neither one.
I lost Diesel when was only 8 . I told him you let mommy know when your done . I took him outside his back legs gave out and he urinated on himself just looking up at me....I cried and said ok boy momma will clean you up call all of the family home and spoil you rotten for a day and we all went to my vet and tried to be strong for him....it broke my ❤. I will be praying for you and your baby.
Trish

·
Registered
29 Posts
Poor poor doggie. What a sad heartbreaker.

Linda, I’m so sorry for your loss. Your Kai sounded like such a sweet sweet doggie.

Take care and condolences for your loss.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went through this with Diesel. I took him to Blue they specialize in making a diagnosis. My options after he was diagnosed with a brain tumor were MRI then Chemo. I opted out.
I too thought and my vet but was ruled out inner ear maybe vestibular...neither one.
I lost Diesel when was only 8 . I told him you let mommy know when your done . I took him outside his back legs gave out and he urinated on himself just looking up at me....I cried and said ok boy momma will clean you up call all of the family home and spoil you rotten for a day and we all went to my vet and tried to be strong for him....it broke my ❤. I will be praying for you and your baby.
Trish
Thankyou. It all happened very quickly , Tuesday he walked funny, we went to the vet right away, Vet actually stayed for us as it was late in day. Thursday he seemed a little better, Friday walking strange again and having difficulty swallowing his food, though his appetite was good and he p & poo normal. Saturday seizures that he basically never came out of. I think this may be why its so hard. Other than that he always had some trouble chewing up his food he was fine. We would not have done chemo as chemo does not penetrate or work on brain cancers. May have tried radiation I don't really know.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You did all you could for him I am sure and no I don't think the treatments would have worked for him either from what I was told when I went thru this there is no treatment for it and the treatments may have just added to his suffering so I don't know what else you could have done. I hope you are doing a little better it seems like the pain just won't go away when something like this happens out of the blue you feel like you were just kicked you know where and I am just so sorry this had to happen to you and your precious Kai.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts