Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it seems lke a lot of people have more than one boxer here. Is it cruel to have only one? I would personally love another one, however I don't know if I could afford it and if i have the space. Am I a bad mommy for not giving him little brother or sister?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I've been struggling with the same thing, especially with all the cute puppy pics on here lately :D I don't think it's cruel to be an "only", just lonely. Donner loves us and the cats but I get the feeling from him that it's just not the same as a brother or sister to cuddle with. We're seriously considering another, but I agree there's lots to think about......space, finances, time etc.  Don't want to get another and find myself overwhelmed 8O

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I only have one right now, and don't really have it in the plans to get another one any time soon. Boxers are an excellent breed being the only dog of the family or one of four dogs.
Boxers are absolutely dependant upon the companionship of their families. They need to be around people and they thrive on this special companionship. As long as you are providing him with the companionship that he needs than no you are not a bad mommy for not having more than one.  :wink:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will def. get another when we move into a house, prob. in a few years. He does get tons and tons of love and has a million toys so I try and keep him busy without another dog to play with.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't think you are being cruel to him.  There are alot of boxers in rescue who have to be in a home without any other pets.  As long as you are giving them plenty of love and play time he will be fine.   We had Calli for almost 5 years before we got another boxer.  She loved being an only dog and part of the family pack!  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
No, I would never say that is being cruel....Sometimes one is all you can handle, be it financially, space wise or other reasons..Yes, they do great in pairs, but yes that also doubles the expense, so do what is best for you. Certainly doesn't make you a bad owner or anything, far from it, simply by asking that question shows your concern  :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts