Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Mosquitos or somthing else?

7K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  annejohnson 
#1 ·
So my baby Jaxx Daniel has these what we think are “mosquitos” bites but I’ve given him Benadryl and taken him baths in an antiseptic shampoo that helps with allergies With no help I don’t know what it could be, he itches it from time to time but I feel like every day the bumps look worse
Dog Canidae Dog breed Fawn Carnivore

See less See more
#2 ·
With that much bump-ish. That strikes me as more of a food allergy or maybe something in the yard??? Or I suppose he could have an allergic reaction to mosquito's???

But, insect bite's tend to result in localized swelling?? I think you need to get him to a vet to get a better idea of what's going home ...but changing his food could not hurt either.

Keep us posted.

#3 ·
With that much bump-ish. That strikes me as more of a food allergy or maybe something in the yard??? Or I suppose he could have an allergic reaction to mosquito's???

But, insect bite's tend to result in localized swelling?? I think you need to get him to a vet to get a better idea of what's going home ...but changing his food could not hurt either.

Keep us posted.
Thank you for your input I appreciate it!

#6 ·
What you are doing so far ... is fine. But if it is a "Food Allergy," it's not gonna get better as long as he eats, the same stuff??

Now it might also be something a "plant or area," in the yard that is the source of the issue?? But again possibly a "Food allergy??"

Most likely a vet will ask your about his food anyway?? So first step is if your feeding kibble??? Look at the list of ingredient's "source of protein, I think??) And see if it is Chicken or Beef, you have now??

Buy /Try a different "Kibble," that does not have "whichever," one of those in it." Lamb, Turkey or Salmon or the most common Beef and or Chicken substitutes.

And sigh ... if you go with a "Grain Free," kibble then also ... starting feeding him "Sardine's," packed in water. It's a whole nother story but if you feed your dog only Grain Free, Kibble?? A loss of the ability to synthesize Tarurine can cause "DCM/Heart Issue's," down the road.

Or if you have cat's... throw in a handful or so of cat kibble ... it's packed with,Tarurine. :)

I would think it would take at least two week's or so, to see if a change in diet does make a difference??

So if nothing else make a vet appointment, two week's from the diet change .... "assuming he does not get worst, in the mean time.

I have never had the "Food Allergy," thing myself with my dog's, hmm for the most part. But hey "Crap Happens. :)

#7 ·
So interesting I never knew my dog could be allergic to chicken or beef because I mostly feed him chicken more than anything and he’s never had a reaction till suddenly , I have taken him out to run and he does go outside to lay in the grass Time to time so that’s why I’m confused if it’s bugs or an allergy, I’m still continuing with Benadryl but no change on the bumps 😏

#8 ·
Poor baby. We had this same experience (not as bad as your pup) with our Bohdi. Our vet had use get Neutragena T-Sal shampoo (not the one with charcoal; the clear one). We bath her every evening for week and every other day. It has worked very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Did your dog recently get vaccinated for Lepto? That shot sometimes causes this kind of reaction but my dog has reacted this way to mold its been extremely wet out in our area this year and leaves and long grass harbor mold your dog needs to see a Vet usually a benedryl shot will help as well as a steriod shot it should go away then. You may have to go on some kind of allergy meds for seasonal allergies. Fly bites can cause this too does the dog stay outside alot? It looks more like an allergy to me but he does need to see a Vet for a proper diagnosis. People often times leap to the food allergy thing but usually its not my Vet told me a relatively small number of allergic reactions are from food.

#12 ·
We've seen this with our boxers, we call it getting the "skittles", and in our case it was related to food or other allergies. Scout is allergic to chicken, and other environmental factors.

If you change food, it may several weeks before you see improvement. It was almost 4 weeks before Scout's skin cleared up after eliminating everything with chicken.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.