·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so both

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ky, they will be fine...Mine went from living in So Cal, the land of sunshine to rainy cold Ireland and did great....You may find them growing a bit of a winter coat, but other than that, believe me, they will adapt nicely

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I agree with Willow!! OMG! I LOVE THAT PIC OF ISIS!! She looks like a hairless boxer!!! She'll get a winter coat!! YAY!!! Actual WEATHER CHANGE... YAY!

LOL

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG imagine the first time they see snow? haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I forgot to add, you will need health certificates that are dated within 10 days of flight as well....So they fly the same flight as you Ky? Maybe it's just the overseas ones that the animals have to go on a cargo plane, totally separate flights from us humans

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My doogers just have a Winter coat and SHED like crazy in the Spring...

Anything you need to know(which you would only really need if you went somewhere seriously COLD!) you already know...like, you would never have your babies live outside!!!

I can completely relate to the MEGA ADVANCED PLANNER!LOL!  I had everything NAILED down to the last penny and the last date and time 6 months in advance!!(Ok...I am a detail person...but, some of that was just because I COULDN'T WAIT TO LEAVE!!!!) ;) I had already called ahead and set up the date for phone service and mail forwarding and everything at least 6 weeks ahead of time!LOL! My mom thought I was nuts!  But, I was SO HAPPY! I couldn't really believe it was going to happen until the last week...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely don't sedate Ky...I had actually asked the vet about that for Buck as he is soo high strung, he really discouraged me on that...What the kennel in Ireland did before they flew home was start giving Buck Chamomile to calm him, not sure it helped, but they had a very long flight...The plastic crates are great Ky, you can get the stainless steel water bottles to attach, what we did was fill them almost all the way and then froze them before taking the dogs to the airport....Trying to think of what else you need to know...The good thing is, that it's not that long of a flight, you guys can meet them, it won't be strangers and that will go a long ways to making both Isis & Onyx feel better...

·
Registered
105 Posts
What you will need to worry about is the heat!  It gets really hot and humid in central Texas.  Killeen is pretty nice and the base is HUGE.
-Rich

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The good thing is you have a lot of time to plan this Ky..As hectic as it will get, at least you can hold on to the fact that you are back on the mainland! Woo Hoo!! I am assuming the Govt packs and ships all your stuff? That's one less thing you have to worry about :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, yea I remember that, when they were unpacking it was like "oh, I forgot I had this!" I did do a bit of packing before tho..Don't know why, just nervous that something would get broken, it didn't....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm a worry wart about that kind of stuff..Crazy thing is, the movers really packed our stuff well, I can't complain...I know the pottery you are talking about, I was eyeing it  :) What I did, was pack it myself, labeled the boxes and let the moving company move it...The container was packed soo tightly anyways, nothing could have moved around, let alone get broken

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ky they will be fine, because they love you so much and they just want to be wherever you and the family are!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
[quote="Ky_IsisnOnyxsMama\";p=\"93861":eek:76yrpx8]YES ...you know when you first walk in the kitchen door that built in desk? above that the shlves on the wall have one of a kind pottery on them that can NOT be replaced...worried about that stuff...might bring to ups..have them pack it all send to my mom and have her send back later or pick it up from

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is 90 degrees today in Dallas.  Its too early to be this HOT!
I was sweating walking to my car at lunch.  Get a kiddie pool and a shade tree, your dogs will love you forever.

-Rich

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Kiddie pools are great! We are picking up one this weekend....It got 90 today rich???Geez i didnt know we got that high. Oh and Ky i wouldnt worry about how they handle snow...we dont get it THAT often :)

G

·
0 Posts
Ky, I just thought of something!!!!  NO MORE FERTILIZER CRAP!!!!!!  That alone has to be worth the move!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Moving from Hawaii to Texas. I dont know what the weather is like in Hawaii but i live here in Dallas. I think your weather is just about like ours is. Make sure you get the dogs some heartworm prevention, as i learned this week Zeus has heartworm from the mosquitoes. But they should adapt well, and yes summer time it is really hot and humid. and to be honest with you there really isnt much of a winter but it will get really cold at times. And for the snow part, we may get it one or two times a year if we are lucky to get it at all. I hope the move goes well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts