Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! It has been YEARS since I last posted! Anyway, I need help...
We are probably moving from Canada to Australia next year. This was not planned when we got a beautiful boxers 4.5 years ago, but is now looking more and more definite. It will take us a minimum of 12 months to get all of our visas & paperwork approved, by which time our dogs will already be 6. I Know this is not old, but moving them to Australia, requires them to be in quarantine for SIX MONTHS! 3 months in Canada, and 3 in Australia! Depending on how long it really takes us to get approved, our dogs could be nearing on 6.5 to 7 years old, when they are eventually with us again! PLUS, I have heard that many airlines refuse to fly brachycephalic dogs these days, due to the high risk of them not surviving the flight conditions in cargo. I do not even want to think of re-homing my loves, but I honestly don't know which is more cruel for them at this stage. They are healthy, beautiful, sweet dogs, but I would be heartbroken in they spent months in quarantines, only to not survive the flights.
Another issue is that we have to figure out what to do very soon, as if we decide to take them, they will need to begin their monthly vet visitas asap to comply with the Australian pet immigration laws.
I'm hoping somebody on here can gives me some suggestions, opinions, hope, ANYTHING! Thank you for reading x

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
OMG ... that is awful!!! And I did not know about the flying brachycephalic dogs, thing that's gonna be a long flight! Best call there, would be of course to go with the air carrier that can do it?? Or a private airline that does overseas pet transport?? I would imagine that would be expensive???

Moving on ... if you go the quarantine route how often would you be able to visit them??? I would imagine if it happens where you are and they get use to it ... then when it happens again and if you can still visit them ... they might adjust to the life with strangers thing ... I don't know???

Option three I guess ... re-home them. Work with a Boxer rescue and offer to Foster in Place. You could set "two or none" terms if you want. Or give your general location maybe someone here ... could take them?? Or family or friends if that is an option for you???

This is a pretty sucky situation ... sorry. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is a very sucky situation! I believe that the quarantine here is in Vancouver (we are roughly 2hrs out of the city), and that the the one in Aus is in Melbourne, and we will be in Sydney! So both are not super close for us to see them every day :(. Obviously if we fly them, I will look into what animal transport airline will be the safest bet, but its terrifying to me to even think of the wat could happen. If we had to re-home them, yes they would ABSOLUTELY need to be kept together! They are litter-mates and joined at the hip.
Sigh...thank you for your reply, I appreciate any comments in this.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Is it older brachycephalic dogs? Curious because my pup was flown up the east coast. Granted it isn't nearly as far as flying to Australia but never heard that before.

Wonder why countries do the 3 month quarantine. You would think if you could provide all papers and have your vet certify the dog is healthy, etc. there would be a slightly quicker process.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts