Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my first boxer he is 7 months old and about 45 lbs what would be a good and healthy wy to build up his muscles more anbesides running

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Boxers are nearly all muscle and no body fat anyways.  They don't need a special diet to build muscle.  He's just a pup.  Give him time and he will grow into himself.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
905 Posts
Any exercise will improve muscle tone, but I have heard that swimming is particularly good for increasing muscle around the chest, neck and shoulders.  The only thing is that boxers aren't natural water lovers, so don't be at all surprised if your guy refuses to do it!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Swimming is an excellent way to improve muscle tone, but like Honeyec said, boxers are not one of the better water dogs. We taught Buck to swim right when we brought him home at 10 weeks and he took to it very well..During the summer, if someone was in the pool, so was he...By the time he was 3 there was absolutely no fat on him, he just rippled with pure muscle...As your baby is still a baby, I would be careful about a lot of heavy exercising, he needs to finish growing first. Another thing that would probably give good muscle tone and is a lot of fun too is agility training.

Like was already stated, different body types will build muscle differently, just like us..Angel is a very lean muscular girl, very similiar to Buck and I'm starting to see a lot of muscle tone in her as well...Varying the types of activity will also work on all around toning, just like with us! Take him for walks, play time works muscles also.. :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well that's awesome, ok that makes it easier...We taught Buck to fetch and retrieve a tennis ball, then we taught him to dive for treats on the steps. He also learned this very annoying habit of leaping across the pool and landing on your back...Not something I encouraged....Just make sure that he doesn't wear himself out...Buck was very determined and I thought one time the ex was going to have to jump into the ocean and get him cos he wouldn't give up...

·
Registered
9 Posts
you can shoot my boy dead in the face with a hose for hours, and he'll love it. but my girl HATES to be wet. i think it musses up her hair.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Savannah hates the water, but the minute then water hose comes out Reese is all over it. i want to take them to the lake and see how they do in big bodies of water!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Lilly enjoys the shallows, but becomes a bit uncertain as the water deepens.  Shes okay if I stand right next to her.  Thats when she becomes queen of the water dogs!!!  She will also dive at waves and Boxer punch the water to splash you!!!  Its hilarious!!  She will only get out if I get out with her and only for a short time then.  The only time wants anything to do with the sand is if we are running or playing a game (that because she hates her socks)!!!  She also knows that before we leave to go home that she gets hosed off with fresh water and towel dried and she HAS to lay on a towel in the back seat!!!

Liz and Lilly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts