Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I'm new to asking questions but I have been aware of this awesome community for some time now! Recently, the protests going on around our house there have been much more loud noises (fireworks, sirens, helicopters all day), his potty spot is the balcony and is well trained to visit the balcony whenever he needs to go but recently he wont even dare go outside to potty! he's scared of EVERYTHING that makes a sudden move now or any noise (as small as it could be) he jumps up (when he's been napping) or running further from wherever the noise came from! We've tried treats, his favorite foods, favorite toys, anxiety treatments. Nothing works ! any advice from this awesome community would be greatly appreciated :cry: !

·
Registered
614 Posts
Try to take him out at a quieter time of the day when no one is around and just sit quietly with him until he goes potty and reward him with an enthusiastic voice maybe a treat then take him right in the house as soon as he goes so he knows the faster he does his business the faster he can go back in. I am afraid now that he has experienced those frightening noises this will probably be with him a long time if not forever so watch him carefully when you have him outside the house as any noise may make him want to bolt and run. In the house I would recommend putting on the TV maybe a little louder than usual maybe a music channel with soft music and if that's not possible put him in a interior room with the radio on. We still have the 4th of July to deal with loud noises. but I would distract him if at all possible play a fun tug of war with him reward him for positive behavior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try to take him out at a quieter time of the day when no one is around and just sit quietly with him until he goes potty and reward him with an enthusiastic voice maybe a treat then take him right in the house as soon as he goes so he knows the faster he does his business the faster he can go back in. I am afraid now that he has experienced those frightening noises this will probably be with him a long time if not forever so watch him carefully when you have him outside the house as any noise may make him want to bolt and run. In the house I would recommend putting on the TV maybe a little louder than usual maybe a music channel with soft music and if that's not possible put him in a interior room with the radio on. We still have the 4th of July to deal with loud noises. but I would distract him if at all possible play a fun tug of war with him reward him for positive behavior.
Thank you so much ! I will do all that you advice !

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
OH ... so much for me asking if "something has happened!" And I am gonna guess ... that you don't have a back yard?? Is someone with him all day or is he left alone during the day???

And as you already know, Treat's, Food and Toy's aren't going to work?? Dog's in high state of anxiety or agitation, don't give a crap about any of that! HE need's to learn to well ... "deal with it."

And that is gonna be a process. Ultimately "my" recommendation's are gonna be based on the "Place Command and Sit on the Dog." Those and well "Walking him," are the best thing's you can do with well any dog but especially one with behavioral "Issue's."

But your gonna need to bend and adapt as required, cuz I have not seen this particular issue before?? But this thread explains, where I am coming from. :

And another question would be "can you walk him??" Be able to get him out and about ... would be "helpful."

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Yes he probably got scared from the raucous , I would just continue to go out there with him to assure him its ok. As luvmy boxers said try and go out there during more quiet times t o help reassure him its ok. I imagine if he was use to more quiet then suddenly all hell broke out , it just scared him. Hopefully things will settle down and/or he will get use to more noises. It will take time. I don't think he is necessarily a fearful noise just one who has suddenly had his environment changed. Time will tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts