Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to start this topic but here goes.... Henry is my 4yr old and since the onset of COVID neither of us are getting the exercise we need. He had been gaining weight since last fall and we have given him 2 meals per day since a pup. Since he is always hungry I guess I had kinda caved into his sad eyes and went from 2 cups at each meal to 2.5. a treat mid day and one at bed time.
After noticing him gaining weight we cut back to 2 cups in the morning and same at dinner. Long and short is we feed Purina Pro Plan and would love to have other give me advice as to what feed I should give . his las vet check he was just over 100lbs. So you see I am concerned and our vet said he need to diet so that he doesn't become Diabetic .
Please give me your view. We have had Boxer kids for at least 35yrs and never had a boy or girl this big.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
4 to 5 cups of food a day seems excessively high, especially if your boy isn't getting too much exercise.

My guy is about 85lbs I give him 3 cups of kibble a day (Orijen Regional Red) pretty high protein. And about another cup of raw/fresh. He gets bike rides, beach time and walks every day. So basically a lot of exercise. I'm not sure what the correct amount would be for your boy, but I'm thinking in the 2-3 cup of kibble a day, probably closer to 2 cups for now. Good luck

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Is your boy neutered? That may contribute to his weight gain too. I have a spayed female she is pretty small so I keep a close watch on her weight being overweight is really bad for them so its a good idea to get his weight down some. I use Purina Healthy weight for my female and she does really well with it and you don't have to cut the amount so hard. I use ground fat free turkey for the meat on her food (I cook for them) I also leash walk them two miles everyday plus yard play time so they are staying really fit. Treats can be a factor in weight as well so I only use milk bones in the small size for those not much in them. Hope you get him down to where he needs to be along with diabetes there is arthritis and other things that can really hurt them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to cut back on the food and check into the Purina healthy weight food.

·
Registered
9 Posts
different ways of getting them exercise can help too :3 my girl was born just at the start of the pandemic and shes kept a healthy weight even with us not really walking her just from playing with her till she is ready to lay down and nap! we have a flirt pole that she loves to chase and jump for, its literally the little pole toys you use for cats but its like PVC pipe and bungie cord, she loves it :D bubbles have become her new thing the last couple days too she will jump 5ft in the air for them XD getting her super tired helps to keep her calm and keep her weight in check :3

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
A 100 lbs is a freaking lot of weight for a Boxer? A slim and trim 85 lb is hugh? And the ones I have seen at that weigh, males Euro/Americans all have a deep chest and a slim waist. So 85 lbs is my limit much past that, I'd be concerned??

So what does he/you do day in day out?? Where do you live? Is he a city dog or do you live in a rural area? Do you have a car and if so can you take him to someplace where he can run a few times a week?? And if he can does he have a reliable recall??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts