Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buster has been having some issues since 3/31. It all started with a day of vomiting, approximately 5 times in all last Wednesday. On the last vomit at around 5pm I found a bit of cotton in the vomit. I took him to University of FL Small Animal Hospital ER. They did xrays and did not feel he had a blockage in his GI tract. They could see something in the tract but didnt feel it was blocked. They gave him fluids and anti nausea shot and sent him home later that evening with instructions for me to f/u with my vet next day to do more xrays to be sure what was in his system was moving. I went to my vet next day for the xrays. She said that there was good movement and also felt no blockage. He was not himself and would lay around mostly and sleep, not playing with his sister. Also didn't want to eat. Vet gave him more fluids and sent me home with some Cerenia pills for nausea, recovery food and said to try boiled chicken, rice, bland things like that. That evening he ate the small can of recovery food. I went back to vet without him on Friday to buy more cans of the recovery food and more Cerenia. He showed very little interest in food over the weekend including the food i bought, chicken and rice. Finally ate a boiled egg on Sunday. He has had low energy since then. I called vet back on Monday, she wasn't able to get me back in until Wednesday. She didnt feel he needed xrays again, did an physical exam and felt he was not experiencing a blockage. She gave him fluids again and sent me home with more Cerenia, added Omeprazole and also Proviable probiotics. By Thursday with little eating Loose stool and low energy we decided to got back to UF ER for possible ultrasound to be sure about the blockage. UF admitted him on Thursday and did xrays again and felt there was a blockage. Prepared me for surgery and I paid the 75% deposit for that and next step was an ultrasound. After the ultrasound they called back and said he is not blocked. They kept him overnight, gave him fluids all night etc and kept him most of Friday as well. Said I can pick him up and sent him home with Low Fat dog food that he ate for them. Said that he seemed to be having better energy. Friday at home still wouldn't eat for me and was sleeping a lot but did play a little bit and went on a walk. On Saturday he wasn't eating so when UF called to f/u they seemed surprised and said to try other things like boiled chicken, the meat baby food and even try a treat to see if any interest. He ate 2 jars of baby food chicken. Sunday was more playful and ate in morning and evening, baby food and wanted a treat. I was very happy. This morning though seems low energy again and no interest in food. I'm really not sure what to do. Has anyone every experienced anything like this? I suppose I will take him back to UF ER again but feel frustrated. I took away all their toys after the stuffing, they seem to try to eat everything so i thought that best. Could he be depressed? Is that crazy. Miss my crazy little bouncy Buster Brown!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
If they eat the crap they pull out of stuffed toy's that is not good! I'm not sure that would show up on X-Ray's?? But if they do then no more stuffed toy's for them as a start!

Hopefully if that is what it is? It will pass thru in a few day's and he will be back to normal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they eat the crap they pull out of stuffed toy's that is not good! I'm not sure that would show up on X-Ray's?? But if they do then no more stuffed toy's for them as a start!

Hopefully if that is what it is? It will pass thru in a few day's and he will be back to normal.
Thanks, I hope so!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have had to deal with stomach issues quite a bit actually. Did they check him for pancreatitis? I would guess they would have done blood work? Sometimes they do develop food sensitivity as well. I had a dog once who was sensitive to sweet potatoes so I would investigate what you are feeding him. My 2 year old male all of a sudden got sensitive to chicken so removed that from his diet. He was getting bad stomach aches and gas spent some time and money at the Vets and like you the first thing they go to is they ate something they should not have but I know that didn't happen to him. I switched him to a different meat protein venison/turkey and he did better. We did have another episode here recently where he got a bad stomach again and so now I give him 1 cup of rice his kibble and about a handful of ground turkey cooked he seems a lot better now. So it may take some playing around with his food a bit (slowly) I had another male who was on EN by Purina his whole life. I hope you can figure this out I am glad he didn't have an obstruction. Is he fed at regular times each day? Made to be queit before and after meals?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
My cairn terrier has IBD. One day she will eat heartily then the next nothing. this went on and off so I didn't get too concerned until she started having more off. She would also throw up some bile, and I knew those days she would not eat at all. We took her to the vet and had to go to the ER vet for ultra sound. They found no blockages however part of her intestines was thicker than it should be. So the vet was a bit at a loss and said that either she is developing cancer and the only way to know was to do more tests or we could try the low fat diet. So we started with the Science Diet ID digestive care low fat canned food. She started eating again and more regular. Much later I added s some of the me back into her diet in the kibble form. There are still days she turns up her nose and tucks her tail, then I know she has an upset stomach. later in the day I may give her 1 or 2 or freeze dried instinct toppers to see if she has interest, if she does I put her food out otherwise I wait till her next meal. All in all she does well now.

·
Super Moderator
7,106 Posts
What has the blood work shown? Infection, elevated lipase etc? At this point I would be opting for exploratory surgery to rule out foreign body, a string or thread cutting off intestinal blood supply, intestinal torsion etc.
To go from happy and fine to lethargic and not ratting over 2 weeks with no recovery is concerning.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had to deal with stomach issues quite a bit actually. Did they check him for pancreatitis? I would guess they would have done blood work? Sometimes they do develop food sensitivity as well. I had a dog once who was sensitive to sweet potatoes so I would investigate what you are feeding him. My 2 year old male all of a sudden got sensitive to chicken so removed that from his diet. He was getting bad stomach aches and gas spent some time and money at the Vets and like you the first thing they go to is they ate something they should not have but I know that didn't happen to him. I switched him to a different meat protein venison/turkey and he did better. We did have another episode here recently where he got a bad stomach again and so now I give him 1 cup of rice his kibble and about a handful of ground turkey cooked he seems a lot better now. So it may take some playing around with his food a bit (slowly) I had another male who was on EN by Purina his whole life. I hope you can figure this out I am glad he didn't have an obstruction. Is he fed at regular times each day? Made to be queit before and after meals?
They didn't check his blood or for pancreatitis. They haven't done blood work, I think I'm going to insist on that this time, going to take him back tonight.They did send home with prescription food but he wouldn't eat any of that. Then when they called to check on him they were surprised he wasn't eating and suggested I try the baby food meats etc as I mentioned. Thanks for your advice, I do wonder if it is something with his diet. I have even muzzled him for yard time to be sure he's not ingesting something I'm not aware of. Very stressful!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What has the blood work shown? Infection, elevated lipase etc? At this point I would be opting for exploratory surgery to rule out foreign body, a string or thread cutting off intestinal blood supply, intestinal torsion etc.
To go from happy and fine to lethargic and not ratting over 2 weeks with no recovery is concerning.
They didn't do bloodwork, I'll go back tonight, he's still not himself and make sure they do it t his time. Exploratory surgery I'm not sure about, will start with blood work to see what we can do from there. They mentioned going through internal medicine next, pricey but it is what it is. I'm not sure what all they will check for but seems like it will be thorough. Thanks for your hep!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My cairn terrier has IBD. One day she will eat heartily then the next nothing. this went on and off so I didn't get too concerned until she started having more off. She would also throw up some bile, and I knew those days she would not eat at all. We took her to the vet and had to go to the ER vet for ultra sound. They found no blockages however part of her intestines was thicker than it should be. So the vet was a bit at a loss and said that either she is developing cancer and the only way to know was to do more tests or we could try the low fat diet. So we started with the Science Diet ID digestive care low fat canned food. She started eating again and more regular. Much later I added s some of the me back into her diet in the kibble form. There are still days she turns up her nose and tucks her tail, then I know she has an upset stomach. later in the day I may give her 1 or 2 or freeze dried instinct toppers to see if she has interest, if she does I put her food out otherwise I wait till her next meal. All in all she does well now.
Thank you for the info, interesting. That is the same dog food they sent me home with. Apparently he at it there before leaving but will not eat it for me. I'm going to take him back this evening. Thank you for your information.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Ok this is not good. I thought it was day's here not week's?? So to late for "Find Another Vet," I suppose??

But another possibility is something else?? Many year's ago I had a cat, and she seemed off and out of sort's?? I looked and her eye's were dilated (hugh) and I rushed her to the "Cat Place." I have no Idea how they found it?? But she was in surgery within minuet's and they found she had eaten "dental floss," and her intestines were tangled up! She was fine and livied another 12 to 14 year's??? Cat's you know.

Most likely it's not that but something is not right?? And that vet might be out of idea's???

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
They didn't check his blood or for pancreatitis. They haven't done blood work, I think I'm going to insist on that this time, going to take him back tonight.They did send home with prescription food but he wouldn't eat any of that. Then when they called to check on him they were surprised he wasn't eating and suggested I try the baby food meats etc as I mentioned. Thanks for your advice, I do wonder if it is something with his diet. I have even muzzled him for yard time to be sure he's not ingesting something I'm not aware of. Very stressful!
I am so sorry you are going thru this its very frustrating and upsetting to see your dog in pain or not acting right I know I have been there done that! Spent a whole lot of money too and sometimes with no results. I hope they can find something definitive so you can work on correcting it. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your boy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am so sorry you are going thru this its very frustrating and upsetting to see your dog in pain or not acting right I know I have been there done that! Spent a whole lot of money too and sometimes with no results. I hope they can find something definitive so you can work on correcting it. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your boy.
Thank you! I took him back last night and I was wrong about the bloodwork, they did do it previously it just wasn't in the notes so that I was able to understand it. When I talked to the Dr. on last night she said that his blood work showed evidence of inflammation in last test and this one. I asked about Boxer Colitis because that last time I talked to the dr. there when he was there overnight that dr. mentioned it to me. Anyhow, for now they gave him 2 weeks supply of a broad spectrum antibiotic. I also was worried because I haven't been able to give him his dewormer/heartworm meds because of him being sick and I wanted to be sure it couldn't be something like that. So they gave me this powder dewormer Panacur C that I have to sprinkle on food for 5 days. Here is the funny but not funny part; if he vomits or has diarrhea I'm supposed to bring him back, guess what the side effects of the antibiotic are? HA! Well anyhow, good news is though he ever ate yesterday, this morning he was quite hungry and so I was able to get him to eat all the worm med and antibiotics easily. This is the first time he's eaten in the morning in a week so that made me happy. If he doesn't improve they said I need to schedule him with Internal Medicine Service which may involve full abdominal ultrasounds, endoscopy with possible biopsies. Hoping he improves but we shall see. Thanks again for your kindness!
Ok this is not good. I thought it was day's here not week's?? So to late for "Find Another Vet," I suppose??

But another possibility is something else?? Many year's ago I had a cat, and she seemed off and out of sort's?? I looked and her eye's were dilated (hugh) and I rushed her to the "Cat Place." I have no Idea how they found it?? But she was in surgery within minuet's and they found she had eaten "dental floss," and her intestines were tangled up! She was fine and livied another 12 to 14 year's??? Cat's you know.

Most likely it's not that but something is not right?? And that vet might be out of idea's???
It has been 2 weeks. I took him back last night. He has had both xrays and utlrasound and 4 physical exams so they don't fee it's anything like that. They aren't sure, they said the bloodwork last nights evidence of inflammation so they gave us 2 weeks of antibiotics to take. If he isn't improving in 5-7 days I need to schedule with internal medicine services where they may do full set of abdominal ultrasounds, endoscopy and possible biopsies. He ate really well this morning, nothing yesterday though. They gave him fluids again last night. Hoping he improves. Thanks for reading and suggestions, I appreciate your time and kindness!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I had one of my previous females with stomach issues. She got pancreatitis 3 times before I figured out it was the food she was eating. I did consult with a Veterinary gastroenterologist and they really didn't have any answers for me other than they wanted to do the test where they took samples of her intestines it was going to cost 1500 and I just didn't feel like that was the problem with her so I declined. I did some guess work and figured out it was a food sensitivity and changed things up and she got better. Then my current female came to me with giardia and coccidia and it caused her to get an imbalance of bacteria in her gut she had bloody diahrea it was really scary because no matter what meds she got it didn't help I actually found online here at Boxer forum where someone had used Baytril an antibiotic for this very problem and after a couple of courses of that she fully recovered. My current male has some food sensitivities he is 2 now so his is chicken so far a food switch of protein has helped him. We are keeping our fingers and paws crossed for you that this anti biotic will help your boy and things can get back to normal for you!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so everyone here for your advice and kindness. Buster is back! He is eating and playing again. I'm so relieved! I really want to thank you so very much for being there to talk to. I was so frustrated. Hopefully this will not be some kind of ongoing GI issue, I will definitely be more careful about food in the future to be sure. Thanks again!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had one of my previous females with stomach issues. She got pancreatitis 3 times before I figured out it was the food she was eating. I did consult with a Veterinary gastroenterologist and they really didn't have any answers for me other than they wanted to do the test where they took samples of her intestines it was going to cost 1500 and I just didn't feel like that was the problem with her so I declined. I did some guess work and figured out it was a food sensitivity and changed things up and she got better. Then my current female came to me with giardia and coccidia and it caused her to get an imbalance of bacteria in her gut she had bloody diahrea it was really scary because no matter what meds she got it didn't help I actually found online here at Boxer forum where someone had used Baytril an antibiotic for this very problem and after a couple of courses of that she fully recovered. My current male has some food sensitivities he is 2 now so his is chicken so far a food switch of protein has helped him. We are keeping our fingers and paws crossed for you that this anti biotic will help your boy and things can get back to normal for you!
Hi again, is your male sensitive to chicken? My last boy, rip baby, also had food allergy to chicken, nothing like this but I switched him to lamb and he was fine. What were the symptoms of the pancreatitis? One of the vets at UF mentioned Boxer Colitis in passing, that was what made me ask the vet on call during the last visit. I imagine this is what resulted in me getting the antibiotics prescription. I read up on that and am really hoping that isn't the problem, sounds awful. He seems ok with chicken. Now I'm unsure really what to do on food except for continue on the Royal Canin for now and see if anything else comes up omitting treats and table scraps. I have given him some boiled chicken quite a few times and he seems fine. One thing I keep thinking about is that right around the time this happened I bought a couple of cans of Alpo and was adding a little to their dry food as a treat. Wondering if that could have been a problem for him. Don't you wish they could talk to us? Did you vet prescribe the Baytril or was that something you were able to get via a feed store? Thanks again for your caring! You boxers are so pretty.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi again, is your male sensitive to chicken? My last boy, rip baby, also had food allergy to chicken, nothing like this but I switched him to lamb and he was fine. What were the symptoms of the pancreatitis? One of the vets at UF mentioned Boxer Colitis in passing, that was what made me ask the vet on call during the last visit. I imagine this is what resulted in me getting the antibiotics prescription. I read up on that and am really hoping that isn't the problem, sounds awful. He seems ok with chicken. Now I'm unsure really what to do on food except for continue on the Royal Canin for now and see if anything else comes up omitting treats and table scraps. I have given him some boiled chicken quite a few times and he seems fine. One thing I keep thinking about is that right around the time this happened I bought a couple of cans of Alpo and was adding a little to their dry food as a treat. Wondering if that could have been a problem for him. Don't you wish they could talk to us? Did you vet prescribe the Baytril or was that something you were able to get via a feed store? Thanks again for your caring! You boxers are so pretty.
Whey my little girl was going thru Boxer colitis I got baytril from the Vet it was pricey but it worked! So I would have paid just about anything to get that to stop. The Alpo may have done it to him that's probably high in fat sometimes the fat thing can send them over the edge. Royal Canine makes a Boxer canned food to go with the kibble. I use ground fat free turkey for the meat on the kibble. It cost about the same I just buy a big pack and cook it divide it up and put it in freezer bags till I need it.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
OK if you used Alpoas a treat I'd have a good guess that was the culprit. I one time used an off brand of canned on my dog, as a topper, not one they were use too , in fact it was a highly rated one and I ended up with a $1500 vet bill. I'm quite sure that was the culprit in my case as we had every test done and everything was normal. I'm glad to hear things are getting back to normal now

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whey my little girl was going thru Boxer colitis I got baytril from the Vet it was pricey but it worked! So I would have paid just about anything to get that to stop. The Alpo may have done it to him that's probably high in fat sometimes the fat thing can send them over the edge. Royal Canine makes a Boxer canned food to go with the kibble. I use ground fat free turkey for the meat on the kibble. It cost about the same I just buy a big pack and cook it divide it up and put it in freezer bags till I need it.
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK if you used Alpoas a treat I'd have a good guess that was the culprit. I one time used an off brand of canned on my dog, as a topper, not one they were use too , in fact it was a highly rated one and I ended up with a $1500 vet bill. I'm quite sure that was the culprit in my case as we had every test done and everything was normal. I'm glad to hear things are getting back to normal now
I sure hope so, love seeing him bouncing around again!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts