Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our un-neutered male.who will be one year old next week, has suddenly started to display aggressive behaviour to 5 year old neutered girl.
Everytime she approaches me or my husband, my Boi gets right in her face and then attacks her, even though her body language is submissive.

Our vet advised us to wait until at least 1year old before neutering, longer if we could wait.
After witnessing this behaviour a few days ago, we have him scheduled for neutering in 4 days time.

If he starts to get in her face, I get in between them and tell him off.
If an attack happens- he backs down with me telling him off. ( This is my way of saying that I yell at him, stop him and have heavy eye contact afterwards)

They are usually fine when by themselves.
Up until a few days ago, they were inseparable and the best of friends.
I‘m assuming it’s his male hormones- he‘s very sweet too with her on these days.

How do I ensure that this behaviour will not become entrenched?

I run him in an open field at least once per day - they run and play together actually.
Should I run him more often for the next few days?

I’m hoping for our completely lovely Boi back after his neutering.

I‘d really appreciate any advice on how to handle this situation.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hopefully the neutering will help with this, but this really sounds like a combination dominance and possessiveness not sure which he is being possessive of you or your female. I don't think this is an exercise issue either I would make sure you give them equal attention and when he starts the guarding behavior you need to back him down and make sure you pay attention to the female keeping collars on the dogs will help you maintain some control as well. I would make it a point to call the female to me and hold her close and pet her making him stay back he is assuming he is in control here and he needs to know he is NOT. This is going to take some work and time once you have paid attention to the female (making him stay back) and you release her if he is good and stays put where you put him then pay attention to him but don't reward him if he continues to act aggressively. The neuter will calm some of this down but my guess is not get rid of it completely remember it takes a while for the male hormone to circulate out of his body so the neuter effects will not be immediate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully the neutering will help with this, but this really sounds like a combination dominance and possessiveness not sure which he is being possessive of you or your female. I don't think this is an exercise issue either I would make sure you give them equal attention and when he starts the guarding behavior you need to back him down and make sure you pay attention to the female keeping collars on the dogs will help you maintain some control as well. I would make it a point to call the female to me and hold her close and pet her making him stay back he is assuming he is in control here and he needs to know he is NOT. This is going to take some work and time once you have paid attention to the female (making him stay back) and you release her if he is good and stays put where you put him then pay attention to him but don't reward him if he continues to act aggressively. The neuter will calm some of this down but my guess is not get rid of it completely remember it takes a while for the male hormone to circulate out of his body so the neuter effects will not be immediate.
Thanks for this.
I was sort of expecting immediate change.

It makes good sense, what you say.
We‘ll keep at it.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Ok this is not good, and "if," just getting him fixed make the issue go away? I would be surprised? Usually "Fixing a Dog," changes "nothing behavior wise," but hey it makes the dog's owner "feel like they are doing something?"

The fact that they are fine when they are out and about, is not unusual and is actually par for the course. If you talk to a "Competent, Qualified, Dog Trainer that can successfully, rehab Aggressive Dog's? They will tell you that all "issues," start at home and how the owner lives day in and day at with dog!

Now I don't know? And I am not really great at asking questions? But it sounds like "same old, same old." So I would guess, the new dog is not "Crate Trained," he Free Roams Indoors, he sleeps with you in bed? And he get's on the furniture at will? And bottom line "indoors," you can't control a dog "if you don't know where he is?"

Been there done that and got the "Stiches," Breaking Up Pack Fights! But hey if, if I am wrong? And you not doing the things, I outlined ... and "Fixing him works?" Then you don't need me." But you know if your not doing the things I outlined ... Let me know. Hope your plan A, works out in any case cuz my Plan B ... is a bit of work? Welcome Aboard in anycase and soory it's a bumpy ride. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this also.
Yes to all of the above.
We’re in the process of actively demoting him.
I hope the neutering will help with the process.
He’s like Dr Jekyll and My Hyde lately.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Yeah kinda, what I figured. And no brilliant, inside on my part. More like been there done that and got the stiches! Pretty much everyone figures ... I'll just do what I have done add a new dog/puppy and it will be fine? But sometimes (apprently) it does not work out like that? And well, that "Guy," is me! :)

And while you say "Jekale and Hyde?" Which is pretty clear, I tend to say having a dog like this is like your walking on egg shells, and they are "Ticking Time Bomb?" As you are not sure ... "What will trip the switch?" So yeah that is a lot of fun ... Not!

But Boxers/Pits and Band Band Dawgs are not what makes me, me or why I am here? Nope I stumbled across a real deal Working Line GSD as a 7 month old (already fixed) rescue as a foster and all was well for say 5 months and then "All He$$ Broke Lose?" No issues for five months ... and then all of a sudden, "it was Game On" with Rocky my first
Working line GSD, and my Band Dawg? So you know ... what to do now?

I had three dogs at the time. The Two Males and my Boxer Struddell, and it was all "male madness (me included) Stru never got involved in any of the craziness! "The guys are all crazy? And I want no part of the Madness," was her take? She stayed out of it!

And truth be know? That was a wise "choice," for her and Rocky! As no dog ever touched my baby girl with intend to do harm! Had Rocky done that? At the bare minimum ... his A$$, would have been sent back to where ... he came from, full stop! So she never got involved in the five conflicts! So that was good at any rate.

At any rate, when things go "sideways" we either learn from other's? Assuming you can figure out who they are? Or we figure it out on our own. Figuring it on your own on your own? Can be a very hard, painful and expensive way to get thing's done?

But depending on how pig headed and stubborn one is it can work! My Rocky my first Working Line GSD, was both my "worst dog ever," and my greatest success!" He saved me, unexpectedly on one occasion, out of the "Blue," on one occasion, when crap went "slideway's," while I was "trying to shield him ... anyway.

This is that story.

The "Pack Fights," were just the warm up for our journey? And "Rocky," beat me ,,, sent me to the ER for stiches (breaking up the last battle) and ultimately Won! Because Gunther Passed away due to unrelatedly issues following the last battle. So Rocky won round one? He was now "Top Dog," as Sturddell ... did not care. :)

But Rocky ... was not done? Now he decided ... you know what ... "I don't much care for "People," other then you and Marilyn either!" And for me ... that was great! Cuz now it was "Pay Back Time!" Cuz this crap will not stand!

Now that is gonna be Part Two, as it were. As I really spent year's trying to figure out how, I got him right cuz it was not that hard really? But along they way I better understood ... what I had done wrong? And the thing's I listed ... yep pretty much, if one has dog's in conflict .... you can bet money, that the dog is not crate trained, they sleep with the owner in there bed, they hop on the furniture at will and they free roam the house indoors!

It's basic really, you can't control a dog (indoors) if you don't know where they are? You react to what the dog is doing! It get's old ... I got more, of course but I am big on background info. Welcome Aboard and sorry it's a bumpy road as with a Male and Female Boxer, this should not be happening?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
OK since crap is going "slideway's?" Let's focus on "Step One." And basically ... you would "Do What The Pro's Do?" There are a bunch of them out there. And they publish there work on You tube!

Now you would not know them and if you just just scan You Tube ... every body look's just the same? LOL, Victoria Stillwell comes to mind? freaking tool ... she got chewed up by a Mal in a Helicopter on one occasion ... but I digress.

But the key term is "Aggressive Dog Rehab." That separates those who can from those who can't! And there are a lot of them. But my favorite and apparently how I work is "Larry Khron." Now I had no idea at the time but in retro spec? I followed his philosophy ... less is more.

Ie "Walk your dog!"

Larry is my guy! And it was years before I found him? But once I did it, it seemed a lot of thing's he would have advised ... were thing's, I'd already done. :)

And then "more stuff," done that I did not know, I had done I ? I'd found with Sean O'shay ... "The Good Dog," Guy, and here is "Gus!"

And finally yet again another one of many "Youtube Guy's," that most likely could tell you the same thing's .., I would say ... and here is "Shelly!"

And there is also "Jeff Gellman," of Solid K9 Training! And he is "Hugh," world wide!
https://www.youtube.com/user/SolidK9Training

And most likely he is giving a seminar somewhere near you?

And there is also "Robert Cabal," the Malinois guy!

But they don't know you? And we kind of do? So we can say as step one ... you really, really need to Crate Train, this dog! Now you can do "whatever you like of course." But if your dog went to any "Compete Trainer?" He would be "Crated!" And that is just a fact! You can't control a dog (indoors) if you don't know where they are?

Next Lesson in "Dog's Gone Wild," is do not, put your fingers in the dog's mouth to try and "Pry them Apart!" Now that my seem obvious but hey in the heat of the moment, people do stuff?

I tried when my 113 lbs clamped, onto the neck of my "Band Dawg!" I tried to pry his mouth open and it did not work? And it felt like my fingers were being crushed in a "White Vise!" I was lucky that I got of that with "Stiches!"

Had "Rocky," been in a "Freaking Crate!" That never would have happened. So right now it is about management. You need to Crate this guy, for awhile, cuz if you don't ... you will be living on Egg Shells and waiting to respond to what he does! If you sent to him a "Pro," he would be Crate Trained, no questions asked!

But if you don't Crate him? Then you and your wife need to know this!:

If you are not going to "Crate Him?" Then you need to know this! Kicking it up a notch, anyway ... if he is lose anydog's? He should be fitted with a "Drag Leash!" Thyat is a short leash for use in doors with No handle to get caught up on furniture! So if "Crap goes sideways ... you have a leash to grab ot get the dog off so you don't get hurt!

And ... you would need to pull "Straight Up," to "Choke the Dog Off," and not Straight back to "Choke the Dog Off!" If things are this bad? A "Dominate Dog Collar," would be the better tool but with out strict supervision a DDC could kill your dog if he get's up and fight's to free himself!

Now I have more in order to make changes to start to get things better/ But this kinda stuff, is what you would see first? And if you don't get past the "Out of the Blue Attack's?" Your really not gonna go much futher?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our un-neutered male.who will be one year old next week, has suddenly started to display aggressive behaviour to 5 year old neutered girl.
Everytime she approaches me or my husband, my Boi gets right in her face and then attacks her, even though her body language is submissive.

Our vet advised us to wait until at least 1year old before neutering, longer if we could wait.
After witnessing this behaviour a few days ago, we have him scheduled for neutering in 4 days time.

If he starts to get in her face, I get in between them and tell him off.
If an attack happens- he backs down with me telling him off. ( This is my way of saying that I yell at him, stop him and have heavy eye contact afterwards)

They are usually fine when by themselves.
Up until a few days ago, they were inseparable and the best of friends.
I‘m assuming it’s his male hormones- he‘s very sweet too with her on these days.

How do I ensure that this behaviour will not become entrenched?

I run him in an open field at least once per day - they run and play together actually.
Should I run him more often for the next few days?

I’m hoping for our completely lovely Boi back after his neutering.

I‘d really appreciate any advice on how to handle this situation.
Thanks for any input.
All mastiff type dogs can become like this I am not going to pretend I’m an expert as I am for from it.
Neutered alone is not going to solve the issue if at all things like raw feeding can help calm a dog down to again does not mean its going to work, my thoughts are probably not enough exercise and mind game’s boxers need lots of mind stimulating and about 2 hours exercise a day seperated over a couple of walks, if your walking your dog once then expecting it just to sit an play nice all day its not enough.
Another thing is probably the dominant side to him getting to hyper using excess energy, start training in house manner in a controlled environment with you and the other dog let them get close learn them over time small steps they dont need to be jealous and keep rewarding

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Wennox, how are things going? I did not mean to bail but much like my "Stru" was, I am easily distracted, my bad. :(

But step one with "Dogs Gone Wrong," (for guys) ... don't get hurt trying to break up your dog's! That's how "you," can get hurt! My "Rocky," had "One Bite," mark against him. Because I "thought," I could pry his jaws apart? I could not!

Rocky was a 113 Lb Working Line GSD with uh "Pack and People Issues." Great dog in the long run ... but alot of work, in the beginning?

But those links' are kinda "Coded?" I worked "backwards," I stumbled across what those guy's do after I had "Fixed," my Rocky and found out, "hey that is what I did? And then discovered them, much later on?

Happy to expand if need be? But how is it going now?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wennox, how are things going? I did not mean to bail but much like my "Stru" was, I am easily distracted, my bad. :(

But step one with "Dogs Gone Wrong," (for guys) ... don't get hurt trying to break up your dog's! That's how "you," can get hurt! My "Rocky," had "One Bite," mark against him. Because I "thought," I could pry his jaws apart? I could not!

Rocky was a 113 Lb Working Line GSD with uh "Pack and People Issues." Great dog in the long run ... but alot of work, in the beginning?

But those links' are kinda "Coded?" I worked "backwards," I stumbled across what those guy's do after I had "Fixed," my Rocky and found out, "hey that is what I did? And then discovered them, much later on?

Happy to expand if need be? But how is it going now?
It’s going better.
Thanks for those videos.
Small steps- working with a behaviourist.
I keep seeing what I haven’t done for my guy, so trying to up my game.
The hunting of my girl has almost disappeared since neutering, but we have made behavioural changes as well.
The next step will be structured walking.
I like that concept.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts