Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jessie is 5 months and she is way to shy. Whenever we are around people she is shy and wont go near them. She is always around people 24/7. I mean it took her like 2 weeks to get use to my parents and now she loves them. We were at the park a few days ago and she would not go up to any of my friends. Im just wondering if the is common? If so do you kno how long it usually last

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't know much about that... I read in a boxer book not to get a puppy that's stand-offish... hopefully that is something she can grow out of since she is around people 24/7. Wish I could be of help...  :(

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jessie wont let adult strangers pet her unless my bf or i reassure her...

she automatically is attracted to kids though!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Savannah was like that when we first got her. She hadnt been socialized well though. She still shys away from people she doesnt know. If she doesnt hide, then she will stand stock still and not move until she is ignored. The best advice i can give is to continue socializing. Eventually she will get a little better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Try a dog park or obedience classes.  Both places the dog isn't overwhelmed with people wanting to pet them but they are around different types of people.

My Chloe is shy when on leash or at home.  So we have to actively work with her on it - try to get her desensitized as soon as possible - these fears can turn into aggression with age.

I have the neighborhood kids walk up to her without looking or talking to her while we are outside on leash - if she sits and ignores them - then she gets a treat.  Once she has done this 5 times during one encounter - then I let the kid try to give her a treat if she will sit for the kid.  It has helped - but make sure you have complete control over the dog so the kid isn't accidently hurt by a jumpy dog.

·
Registered
905 Posts
As far as I'm concerned any dog should be wary of strangers, but certainly not afraid of them.  Tink is very stand-offish with strange men for the first few minutes, and then she's normally jumping all over them.  Women she tends to take to more or less immediately.

However, she HATES men wearing baseball caps or motorbike helmets.  In fact, she'll bark like crazy if she even sees a helmet sitting on a table or on the ground.  Dunno what that's about!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Zoe is great with people but I think a lot has to do with how I feel about other people around her.  You probably get nervous and tense up thinking she is going to freak out or be scared and she picks up on that...then she thinks it's ok to be scared.  Does that make sense?

Is she on a leash when she acts like this?  I've been told several times that some dogs get very odd while on their leashes.  Zoe, who is never agressive at all and is great with other dogs at day care, will sometimes snip and growl at another dog when on her leash.

I'd just keep trying with her.  She's young yet and maybe in an unsure phase of her life.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
When you meet new people and your Jesse is with, just keep her by your side and give some distance between you and the people.  Use Jesse as your guide, if she can handle it at 10, 15, 25 feet from them.  Start up the conversation and just let her relax by your side and reassure her with strokes to the side.  Talk with people for a few minutes and move on, not even forcing her to meet them and if they want to meet her tell them you are training your dog and today she is learning "not to meet."  I thank them for their help in the training.  People seem to like that they are a part of your training session.  Keep doing this, shortening distance until you get closer and closer to people.  Do not force her to meet, unless she shows a particular interest in someone.  Then you may give her the command "say hi" and motion in front of her face forward with your hand.  Ask the person she is interested in to JUST STAND THERE. (again mention they are helping you train your dog)  Ask them to just let the dog sniff and check them out and not attempt any talking to or petting of her.  Repeat this exercise as needed and eventually you will be able to have them petting her (if SHE chooses)  Respect her natural instincts and help her thru the socialization as others have suggested to you.  That is great advice.  Just don't overwhelm or force her into things she is not comfortable with.  Time takes time.

The reason she loves your parents is that she knows them and trusts them.  She just needs time right now to work thru this, but she will and you can do it.  Just don't force the meeting part too fast, work on the settling at your side while you are talking with others.  My dogs relax when they hear my voice talking softly and calmly with strangers.  They don't rush off to greet people of their own will as we are practicing proper greetings.

I don't get off on meeting everyone I pass in the street, in fact I probably only meet about 1 in 100, so don't expect your dog to feel they need to meet the world either.

Best wishes,

Nano

1 - 10 of 10 Posts