Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Re: My Boxer has been diagnosed with Ehrilichiosis??

Poor Chance! i dont have any experience myself with ever owning a boxer with it, but i do hope things go well for you and chance. Please keep us informed with his recovery!

·
Registered
220 Posts

Talk about a red flag to always get second opinions!  I am sorry to hear that your dog has something that has gone untreated because of sound medical advice.  I will be thinking of you and Chance and hoping for a a speedy and full recovery!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

Yes, I have had two dogs that have had this disease.  They were both treated for it.  They both developed Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia due to the tick bite.  That is the symptom that they both presented of the illness.  This happened different years to different dogs.  The sign I noticed was lots of little red pin point dots in the mouth on one and there were red dots in the eyes of the other dog.  They were both given ANA test and the one tested negative for Erlichia, the other positive.  Both dogs were treated with Doxycycline and Prednisone for the IMT.  One dog totally recovered and needed no further treatment ever again.  The other dog, due to complications which I believe was an over vaccination of Rabies, would only have remissions even after a Spleenectomy, but lived a long and happy life.  The IMT is fatal if not treated.  This is diagnosed by a platelet count from the blood panel test.  Maybe your dog doesn't have the IMT that is a symptom of the Erlichia.

Please keep us posted on your dog.  Good advice on getting a second opinion.  My original vet was the one who told me to give my dog all the rabies shots due to her getting sprayed by skunks all the time.  Not being sure if she had received any bites during the altercation I was told to give a rabies shot in each case, which amounted to 3 shots in less than 6 months.  Very poor advice I know now.  You live and learn and try to research all you can on your own.  Vet's just don't have the time to do it all and some just think they know everything they need to know.  I had an emergency clinic vet, that I told to not give my dog Ace Promazine, that I read too much!  I wanted to tell him to stick it, but bit my tongue.  If I had had another option of vet at that time I would have loaded up my poor guys with his fractured leg and went else where.  Atleast my dog did not receive the dreaded ACE.  

Nano

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone.  

The vet called yesterday and said that his platelet count is good.  So, she said that he probably had the disease back in 2004 when he was originally diagnosed but has since recovered from it.  She also said that he will probably always test positive for it since he had it that one time.  The vet suggested to always do a CBC when we do the annual shots to check his platelet level and if his platelet level stays at a good level than we have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Now that is great news...I wasn't aware that they would always test positive, but good to know...Good luck and please keep us posted....

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Is this disease like Lyme in humans??? Dont they(humans) always test possitive if they have had it?

Glad to hear he is going to be alright :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
All right!  We are very happy for the great news!

My personal suggestion would be to do all the blood test BEFORE doing the annual vaccines because if there happens to be a problem it wouldn't be good to do vaccines at that time.  I only vaccinate my dogs thru the first year for all the major things and then only do the rabies vaccine every three years after that.  You can run a Titer if you are concerned about them still being covered for all the vaccinations.  I, personally believe, that we are over vaccinating our animals and that that is causing a lot of the auto immune dieases we are seeing.  It is also supported by evidence and vets are starting to rethink all those vaccinations.

Namaste'

Nano & kids

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's like the over-prescription of anti-biotics in humans, it's causing more problems than it's treating.  The number of doctors who prescribe anti-biotics for non-bacterial infections is scandalous.

Anyway, rant over.  On a very slightly related note, I got some good news myself yesterday - Tink's corneal ulcer is fully healed, and doesn't require surgery as the vet originally thought it would.  Hurray!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Great news Honeyec and hooray for Tink..Glad it healed on it's own with no surgery required...I know you must be feeling better about that...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts