Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new here, i just joined, so my boxer tess is 4 years old and she has never had any of her shots. i just started school studying to be a veterinary technician and my school is having a vaccine clinic next month, from the lack of extra money right now i thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to get the more important shots for her since they are only $10 each. but before i do i wanted to make sure that it is ok to give her shots since she never had the introductory rounds of shots as a puppy... any advice would help, i dont want to hurt her.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
IMO getting titers would be better, but more expensive.  they would tell you if she even needs the shots for immunity. I think it would be interesting to see what types of immunity she has built up over 4 years without vaccines.
However, I would do a bit of research on the forums about various vaccines and determine which ones you think you need.  Personally I don't give my dogs lepto or lyme disease, among many others.  Boxers in particular tend to have reactions to the lepto vaccine.  My pup had the 5-way and he won't be getting anything again except rabies since it is required by law.  At least it isn't until next month, so you will have plenty of time to read up on the vaccines ;)
Oh, and Welcome to BF!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, if it is safe i at least want to get a rabies shot for her, but yeah she's a strong girl, shes had two litters already, one with 9 pups and one with 12! (both unplanned) but anyways i am sure that most of you reading this are thinking "if shes going to vet school why doesnt she just ask someone there" ..... i am going to ask someone if i cant find any information, im just scared to ask cause im scared everyone will hate me for not ever giving her shots, and word gets around fast there, only 400 people that go there. so yeah, ill stop blabbering, any knowledge helps!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would do the rabies as that is required by law.  I never give combo shots as that is more risky for the dog.  There is lots of info on this forum regarding vaccinations.

Nano

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree with Nano.....in the fact that at age four....I would at least do a rabies vaccination......Then you can research on DHPP and if Lepto or Lyme is an issue in your area and decide about those at a later date....Once you start Vet Tech School you will learn more on the vaccine's the how, why and how often that is recommended ion your state and the pro and con of them....You will also have a chance to learn about Titer testing and the benefits of spay and neuter :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yup, if I did just one, it would be rabies..I only do rabies, parvo & distemper with mine anyways

·
Registered
319 Posts
Megg,

You might be interested in an interesting article on veterinary vaccines which you can read in its entirety at the link below.  

Are Our Pets Being Overvaccinated, by Melissa Burden, The Press  http://www.presspublications.com/pages/specialreports10.asp

(Dr. W. Jean Dodds) [color=darkred:1ujo71jf]  

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is titer testing? ive never heard of that? is it something that you need to get done if they have had babies?

·
Registered
291 Posts
iter testing is pretty much the same with humans they can run a certian test that will show what shots have been given previuosly like what their immune to et. they do this in humans as well to prove that they have been vaccinated agianst measles mumps etc

·
Registered
319 Posts
A titer test is an antibody count done from a blood sample from your dog.  It will give you an indication of whether they have adequate levels to protect them against disease.

Some areas allow rabies titers in lieu of vaccination, unfortunately my state of Maine is not one of them.  Whenever we board our guys, we have our vet do an in-house pass/fail titer for distemper, hepatitis, parvo rather than giving boosters in order to meet the boarding kennel's vaccination requirements.

Ask your veterinary care provider about them, they should have access to both kinds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts