Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old girl called Molly. Over the past year or so we've noticed a patch of fur on her lower back area (by her tail) becoming quite sparse. Quite recently, however, the fur loss has become very noticeable and the area has now become larger. It now covers her lower back and is starting to descend down each side, just above each back leg. I've done some research and lots of people talk about seasonal alopaecia or thyroid problems. She has a very healthy appetite, drinks well, sleeps well, and does not attempt to chew or scratch at these areas. She is approx 36kgs in weight, very muscular, very strong and is not overweight. She saw the vet recently when we discussed something else and the vet noticed the thinning of the fur. She didn't seem overly concerned but advised us to just keep an eye on it. Molly's beautiful glossy golden brindle coat is starting to look very sorry for itself and I'm really confused as to why she may be experiencing seasonal alopaecia and why it has suddenly started in her 3rd year for no reason. Also, if she does have any thyroid problems, what sort of symptoms should I be looking for? Can anyone help a puzzled mom?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My boy Mason is almost 4y and he had thinning hair too, we discovered he had a thyroid issue only because he gained 10 pounds in 4 months, we did blood work.. since starting the meds 2 x a day his hair looks great. its been a month.. good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should have the thyroid tested to rule it out.
For seasonal alopecia you can give melatonin.

Thanks for your help. I've looked into the melatonin advice but I can't find anything which talks about using it for skin problems like Molly's. They all say that melatonin is good for things like separation anxiety, noise anxiety (fireworks etc), helping your dog to sleep (it has sedative properties), and generally calming nervous dogs. I'm confused now......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My boy Mason is almost 4y and he had thinning hair too, we discovered he had a thyroid issue only because he gained 10 pounds in 4 months, we did blood work.. since starting the meds 2 x a day his hair looks great. its been a month.. good luck

Will Mason need to take the medication for the rest of his life or is it just a temporary measure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 3 year old girl called Molly. Over the past year or so we've noticed a patch of fur on her lower back area (by her tail) becoming quite sparse. Quite recently, however, the fur loss has become very noticeable and the area has now become larger. It now covers her lower back and is starting to descend down each side, just above each back leg. I've done some research and lots of people talk about seasonal alopaecia or thyroid problems. She has a very healthy appetite, drinks well, sleeps well, and does not attempt to chew or scratch at these areas. She is approx 36kgs in weight, very muscular, very strong and is not overweight. She saw the vet recently when we discussed something else and the vet noticed the thinning of the fur. She didn't seem overly concerned but advised us to just keep an eye on it. Molly's beautiful glossy golden brindle coat is starting to look very sorry for itself and I'm really confused as to why she may be experiencing seasonal alopaecia and why it has suddenly started in her 3rd year for no reason. Also, if she does have any thyroid problems, what sort of symptoms should I be looking for? Can anyone help a puzzled mom?
Hi Babs,

I'm not a Vet, but have owned 4 Boxers over the last 20 years and all of them have at a very similar age (normally between 1 - 2 yrs of age) experienced some patchy temporary hair loss that has been diagnosed by each of their Veterinarians at the time as being Demodectic Mange caused by the Demodectic Mite, easily treated with some medicated wash I think it was? I cant remember if they took a course of tablets to go with it or not? can become serious and very nasty looking if left long enough, not sure if mites we encounter here in the sub-tropics of Australia would even bother a dog in the cool of England though? just my thoughts though, hope your veterinarian can sort it out for you, Cheers, Nathan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Babs,

I'm not a Vet, but have owned 4 Boxers over the last 20 years and all of them have at a very similar age (normally between 1 - 2 yrs of age) experienced some patchy temporary hair loss that has been diagnosed by each of their Veterinarians at the time as being Demodectic Mange caused by the Demodectic Mite, easily treated with some medicated wash I think it was? I cant remember if they took a course of tablets to go with it or not? can become serious and very nasty looking if left long enough, not sure if mites we encounter here in the sub-tropics of Australia would even bother a dog in the cool of England though? just my thoughts though, hope your veterinarian can sort it out for you, Cheers, Nathan

Thanks for the info Nathan. This is certainly something I need to get sorted out sooner rather than later I think. It's almost as though new areas of fur loss are springing up every week and it looks as though she's got some kind of dreadful skin disease. I'll just monitor it for a little bit longer and I'll update you with what the vet says.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update - I started giving Molly some Melatonin last Thursday. One x 3mg tablet, twice a day. I'll monitor the situation over the coming 8 or so weeks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you can post pictures it will help
Seasonal alopecia is cost by not enough sun light, many boxers have it. It started in my boxer at 4 years old. Spending more time outside during the day helps, melatonin did not help my pup but successful for many, special lamp he lays in front of it will help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts