Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Lilly on our daily walk through the park and surrounding neighborhood today...at the park we saw a woman walking her huge mixed breed dog across the way.. She waved me down and asked if Lilly was a BULLDOG!!!!  I was floored....  Lilly in NO way resembles a Bulldog!!!

I was very polite (and clear) that she was a purebred Boxer.  She asked me if I was training her to be a service dog for someone.  I (again politely and clearly) explained that she was my service dog and that I am Hearing Impaired.  She had the NERVE to tell me that I don't look like I'm deaf.

That's when I lost it...I asked her what a deaf person was supposed to look like...when she gave me the embarrassed look, I asked her if deaf people are supposed to have a tattoo across their forehead notifying the public of our disablilty???  She quickly apologized and went on her way...

The nerve of some people...

Well,  I guess its better than her being mis-labeled as a pug!!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
977 Posts
:rofl:  I'm sorry but that is so funny - i hope she went away thoroughly ashamed of herself :rofl:
Well done that you're managing to train Lilly into becoming a service dog to help with your hearing - i'm really impressed because Voltaire has selective hearing and only does anything for food treats :roll: - or play :roll:
Lilly's a beautiful dog - doesn't look like a bulldog at all :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In all actuality, Lilly is already a certifed Service Dog.  Everytime we leave the house and she is vested, it an opportunity to reinforce trained behaviors, work on new behaviors, and advocate for the breed and service dogs in general.

I didn't think it was too funny at the time, but looking back and remembering the look on her face....

ROFLMAO!!!!Too funny.  wish you could've seen it!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, I love it! And yea, I know it wasn't funny at the time, but it sure is now!! Glad you put her in her place...And I'm curious, what exactly is a deaf person supposed to look like? I've had Samson mistaken for a bulldog more times than I can count...Keep forgetting to get a his sign made up for him to wear!!!  :lol:

·
Registered
140 Posts
The nerve of some people!!!  As someone said before at least she was ashamed.  Most people wouldn't care and would just walk away not realizing they have offended someone.  

Not sure where she got the idea that Lily was a bulldog, she doesn't look like one at all!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I cant believe she asked you that...Boxers dont look nothing like bulldogs to me anyways. And the nerve of her to say that about you. I would of lost it myself

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I agree with Mastray.  A lot of people associate people being deaf with old age. I was with my SIL once at a baseball game for my nephew and we were doing sign language back and forth and a lady who was sitting behind us asked me Wow, is she really deaf?? (no, we are just sitting here signing back and forth for the hell of it) but anyways like you I got pretty defensive. Until she explained she meant no harm in it she was just shocked at how young she was and being deaf.

But how she thought  Lilly was a Bulldog is beyond me!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
One of my best friends growing up was deaf in one ear from a bout of mumps when she was a toddler.  She used to sleep with her hearing ear to the pillow on purpose and boy, NOTHING would wake her up!  We used to be very jealous of that ability at slumber parties and the like...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Okay, for the record...I will be the ripe old age of 28 on Sunday, 17 June (yes, Father's Day; and for the record I was actually born on Father's Day--my dad thought I was the greatest Father's Day present ever!!).  I am profundly deaf in my right ear and moderately (continuing to go deaf) in my left ear.  I wear an in-the-ear hearing aid, that (so long as my ears don't hurt bad enough to keep me from wearing it) works pretty good, but still is nowhere near 100%.

As for what a deaf person is supposed to look like...I don't know...Maybe we SHOULD get that tatt across our foreheads afterall.  I've been fluent in ASL since childhood (my dad's parents were deaf) and have always had a knack for lip reading.  Most people don't realize that I am deaf because if I can't hear you speaking (with or without the hearing aid) I will read your lips and you never know it.  Kids think this is the coolest trick.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
905 Posts
Can I ask you a question that may sound really stupid, but I've always wondered about?  Can you "see" different accents when you lip-read?  I've always been fascinated by the concept of accents and how they evolve even within a very small geographic area, as well as the social connotations of them.  Obviously, we make different sounds by moving our tongues and lips in different ways, but not so much so that it's obvious.  But I've always wondered whether the nuances can be spotted by a lip-reader because they are so much more attuned to mouth movement than most people.

If someone has a very strong accent, can you tell by lip-reading?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah at least yours wasnt mistakened for a PUG!  :x . I would have taken bulldog over that anyday of the week. That is pretty wrong that she said you dont look deaf like you have to have some kind of physical trait. That just isnt right at all. Sorry you hd to go through that,  :lol:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honeyec---I can honestly say that of all the questions I have ever fielded about hearing impairment, deafness, ASL, and lipreading that I have NEVER been asked this one!!!  I can occasionally pick up a geographical undertone to someones speech via lip reading (mainland slang or hawaiian pidgeon), but 9/10 of the time an accent is something more frequently heard and not so much seen.  It is brought forth from the tongue, teeth, and back of the throat.  For me to read it from someones lips, the person has to be a VERY animated speaker and have a VERY thick accent.

In all actuality, I can usually tell by looking at someone if they are from europe, the mainland (and a pretty good guess as to where), or other places just by mode of dress and haircut.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
508 Posts
That is wonderful, I just noticed your birthday is on Fathers Day also, yep mine is on June 17 as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts