Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my boxer puppy Daisy for almost a year. She'll be 1 in March and she is so skinny and is still quite small. Her ribs stick out and it her hip bones stick out too. She eats regularly and goed to the bathroom regularly. But she is also very active. Is she supposed to be super skinny.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yes that sounds like the typical boxer puppy!!! I still cant keep weight on my girl and shes just about 2!!! Dont worry. Boxers grow up the first and second year then they grow out! She'll fill out eventually!! 8)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hi, I've got a Daisy too! She's also super slim- you can see her ribs and she has a very small build. Daisy will be 2 in April. The vet says that Daisy is perfect and isn't too thin. She's always been like that since she was a pup. As long as your vet isn't concerned with her size I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Heather

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you talked to your vet about your concerns? Boxers are very slim and trim dogs. My girl isn't quite 2 years old, she's 22" tall, weighs about 46lbs, and looks good. You can just barely see her ribs.

What concerns me a little is that you said you can see her hip bones. Are they very prominent, or just barely visible?

Has she been checked for worms or de-wormed at all? If she has parasites, they can make your dog thinner, and skinny because she isn't getting the nutrition she should be.

Also, take a look at the type of food you are feeding. I used to feed Purina One, and after some good advice and research, I switched to a human grade food (Canidae) and she put on some weight and filled out a little more. They digest and use more of the higher grade food, and at the same time, you don't have to feed as much. I now feed Solid Gold, and she looks perfect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi boxer babi i too have a pup who will be one in march and she sounds spot on to me as my beau is the exact same . all legs and nothing much else  8)

·
Registered
112 Posts
can u guys do me a favour and post some pics of your skinny boxers :lol:  so i can compare them to ruby plz.
iv never owned a boxer before and i think ruby is super skinny so would like to see your babys

just  few pics of Ruby

·
Registered
358 Posts
Cassie was the same at about 7 months as unbeknowing to us she had got worms, had to get diff stuff from vet as her normal worming stuff was out of stock but once they had her usual she soon came back to health

·
Registered
112 Posts
hello again, :) i  wormed her  on wednesday so lets see fingers crossed eh.im getting her papers wednesday so i will be straight bck on to you  then and we will see if there sisters  :lol: they both have long tails too nd there is a litter on there web site about the same age with tails mmmm interesting cant wait .

·
Registered
112 Posts
iv just tried drontal plus this time round have used it before  and found it very good

·
Registered
358 Posts
You should have got her papers when you picked her up from the breeder  and it would be good to find out if they are related.........anyway my mum uses drontal plus on her mini yorkie and has never had any probs in the 10 years she's had her dog, gross bit now........look out for little grains of rice like things when she poo's, if there is then she has worms, as you have recently done the drontal see how she goes the next couple of weeks, she should start and put weight on

·
Registered
112 Posts
i didnt get her from the breeder,i bought her from a friend of a friend who didnt want her any more because she was to much for them with small kids
i think thay neglected her towards the end dont you poor baby ruby i only got her on wednesday.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Awww thats sad obviously they didn't look into the pro's and con's of a boxer first but at least she's found someone that cares and wants her now. tbh i never wanted Cas at first as i thought i would have no house left and all the mess that goes with house training but now that we have her i wouldn't be without her for a minute and have even thought about getting another one once cas is about 18mth old lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts