Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
I would stay clear of blue buffalo. It has now come out that they contain by products even though it states it doesn't. Although, each dog does well on different food. You just need to find the one that works for your dog and make sure when switching you do the 7 to 10 day transition to help with runny stools.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Merrick, earthborn holistics, fromm, acacna singles or regionals, orijen, castor & pollution are just a few of the popular and 4+ star rated foods. They are all not available in all areas but are probably available to order online.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Merrick, earthborn holistics, fromm, acacna singles or regionals, orijen, castor & pollution are just a few of the popular and 4+ star rated foods. They are all not available in all areas but are probably available to order online.
Merrick is one i can get at my local petco and it was first between them and blue and we went with blue and i never went back back i think im going to go with the buffalo flavor merrick after we take her to the vets tomo.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Another good one that petco carries is Solid Gold. My girl did so much better on it. I only switched because the bison flavor had two proteins and the vet wanted her on a single ptotein. After the switch to that particular one her coat got soo much softer and much less shedding. Their grain free chicken one is a 5 star food. Not trying to change your mind just giving you another option.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Your girl looks good! It may just be that she's on the small side.

As for food, from all the choices at Petco, I would go with Nature's Variety Instinct. It is a 5 star food and well worth the money. I'm not a fan of Merrick. I think you can get much better food for the prices they charge.

Comparing the first five ingredients

Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free Chicken: Chicken Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat, Chicken Eggs, Chickpeas - $65 for a 25 lb. bag

Merrick Grain Free Real Chicken & Sweet Potato: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes - $59 for a 25 lb. bag. I'm not a fan of the potato or sweet potato in the food - these are starches and yeast feeds on starch.

Just my opinion!

·
Registered
373 Posts
In my opinion your little girl looks great weight wise. Her body looks proportionate and she seems "filled" out for her body. She just may be, like stated, a bit of a smaller girl, nothing wrong with that at all! She's sweet as can be!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Such a sweet girl! She doesn't look too skinny to me :) Acana/orijen is our top choice, but I know it can be pricey and sometimes difficult to find. Nature's variety instinct, TOTW or wellness core may be beneficial to your girl :)

Hope you're able to find a good food for her! :) She's so precious!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Don't know where you live, we feed our kiddos Taste of the Wild. It's all Zoe has had since she was weaned. We had fed High Prairie, but switched to Lamb since he tummy is a little sensitive. She's almost 18 months old and 53 pounds, our big guy just turned 5 years old and weighs around 80 pounds. Boxers come in many sizes. Just like colors and shades of colors. Your girl looks good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
when bo was a pup i had him on boxer 26 and he did not put any weight on at all, i tried so many expensive brands and vet recommended brands but he would never put on any weight and you could always see his spine and way to many ribs, needless to say he was scary under weight and it looked like i didn't feed him. so i did one last switch and went to president choice meat brand, bo started putting weight on and being more active and all around happier, i used to pay almost $200 a month on vet food now i pay $25 a month and he is much healthier. bo is still kinda small for his age but i hes not skinny he weights almost 70 lb now

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Aw! She is so cute!! My girl is 3 and she is just under 50lbs! She's just a little girl but very healthy. I feed both of my girls Performatrin Ultra from Pet Valu and they are both doing really well on it. It's around $50 for a 13lb bag it lasts me 2 weeks for both dogs. It has a 5 star rating on the Pet Food Advisor website.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kody is 85lbs now. When he was 12 months old he was only 60lbs. Boxers fill out around 2-3 years old. I don't think that 40lbs for a smaller female is not out of line. She will probably fill out to be 50-60lbs by the times shes 3.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts