Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new and hoping to tap into some Boxer experience here... my boxer girl has been going crazy with her itching broke out in red bumps all over from her mid-section down...some of the bumps have now crusted over and are scabing over... I feed her Science diet now but was feeding her Orijen and Acana (beef and potato) when she came down with the hypersenstivity reaction in March this year. She was on Sentinel Spectrum also...the doctors don't konw what is causing this. I will try to post pics if I can figure out how to...from her mid-section down a large part of her hair is missing, pink and red bloches on her belly...her ears are missing hair and completley crusted along the margins...the docs have tested twice for mites but all tests negative...a biopsy by the lab does not provide any conclusive conclusions only that the samples indicated insect bite, sarcoptes, or hypothyrodism...but shes been tested for mites and no hypothrodism per the blood work the doc said. Her ears flick 100% of the time, every second of the day since mid-March and she is incredibly itchy...doc has her on Triamcinilone and Atopica right now which seem to be a bandaid? Just wondering if anybody has been through this or seen this or knows what this is?

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Welcome from NJ
I just replied to your other post.
The easiest way to post pics is to copy and paste the image link from a photo sharing site such as photobucket or snapfish.

How old is she?
How much time is she outside?
Do you use any chemicals / fertilizers / etc on your lawn?
Anything new in or around the house (new carpet/cleaners/laundry detergents/ etc) ?

Pics would be helpful - hopefully you can post some

:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks so much for replying...my boxer is 6 and she use to be outside alot during the day but since march when this all started i've been keeping her inside now...no new chemicals like detergent or floor wash solutions...and i do not have a lawn in my back it is all gravel...the dermatologist said she has Vasculitis...my trying to understand if this is what she has and why it doesn't seem to be getting any better?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the doc now has her on Triamcinilone, Atopica, and Azathioprine...I am concerned about the use of all of these but without the steriods she is very itchy? I tried starting her on a food elimiation diet per the doctor...giving Rayne Nutrition food (rabbit and sweet potatoe) and she didn't really want eat it? Only wanted Science diet (lamb and potatoe). It has been 2months since this started but I've only just started the food trial? So losing patience and had hoped to find another boxer owner who may have seen this or experienced this...I've heard some people say its the food and that it takes 4-5months to see changes? Now the doctor seems to think it is "Vasculitis"?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you tried raw food? I know many people thinks is very $$$$$ but it is the same as a $$$$ kibble. My boxer had a problem with any birds in the kibble, it was long elimination process with kibble and still could not find something he was ok with:( switched to raw and he is on raw chicken and turkey:) and supper healthy. Raw will give you easy elimination. It only has raw meat with bone, liver and organs. Try to find a supplier in your area but not raw food from big chain stores.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I just came across a site today that might help.The company sends you a rope to have your dog chew on it and they analyze the saliva to determine what he/she is allergic to. I thought it might help some people in the future.

http://www.nutriscan.org/

Also I agree that if you have the time for a raw diet it is great to look into. Good luck

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Oh my goodness those pics look horrible. Your poor baby! That looks like it might be a staph infection...

I don't want to scare you, but has she been tested to make sure it's not lymphoma? We had a boxer on the forums not that long ago with similar looking sores and it turned out to be lymphoma. :(

http://www.boxerforums.com/health-concerns/170449-itchy-bumps-all-over.html

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
She has a very bad staph infection on her tummy and looks like a yeast infection as well. I would take her off all steroids. Change her over to a raw diet with no fruits or veggies. Immediately start her on probiotics and digestive enzymes. Gutsense by Dr. Dobias is a good start.

Give her daily bathes with a vet prescribed dermalogical shampoo that's antibacterial and antifungal. Lather her up and let her sit for 15 minutes before thoroughly rinsing her.

Her immune system could also use a big boost! Dr. Dobias also sells two other products called soul food and greenmin.

If you need help with Raw, let me know.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG, I really appreciate those of you who have responded with feedback...having all this information can be so helpful. Someone asked me if I'd tried the "raw food" diet...I did and she loved it but we (myself and the doctor) didn't seem any improvement? I'm not so sure it is food realted? But right now she is on Rayne Clinical Nutritution (rabbit and potato). The hospital did blood work and no lymphoma found found so shouldn't have to worry about that. She did have a secondary yeast infection a few weeks back when the pics were taken but that has since cleared up as i was giving her baths and she has been off the antibiotics now as it has gone away but the red areas just seem to come up out of nowhere, then the skin turns black and the hair then falls out. She does run and walk and does eat and go to the bathroom fine but she is just so uncomfortable especially the ears which causes her head shaking and the ears have dry crusty brittle margins. My baby is a mess...wish i knew how to make it all go away? But thank you all that are here "replying with info"!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
The raw food suggestion was not to rule out allergies. It was to help heal and build up her immune system. Dermatitis, allergies, alopecia, yeast issues are ALL autoimmune system disorders. Get her off the immune system suppressing steroids and focus on rebuilding her immune system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank for the replys...I did put her on a raw food diet but the doc said she should come off of it? I know i sound confused and I am...spent a lot of $$$ and for 2months she doesn't seem any better? I really wanted to keep her on the raw food diet and take her off the steroids meds but I must tell you that when she did not have the steroid the situation was unmanageable...she was attacking her skin biting her stifles and hocks and paws?? I ended up rushing her to the emergency room because I couldn't get her to stop and I thought that putting a cone on her to keep her from chewing wasn't fair to her because she would still feel the irritation...ugh...its so frustrating. I'm glad I'm tapping into some experience here on this site and I agree with the approach of being holistic...in fact I raised her very holistically (no flea meds, no unnecessary vaccines, and for years she ate food that was not commercial (I'd prepared her meals). I try to take it day-by-day. I guess what I'm seeing is that the current regime just doesn't seem to be helping her but as soon as the steroids are taken out of the equation she seems so much worse??? Still so confused...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you for the suggestion of the rope to analze what the allergies might be. I'll check into that...

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Hope your girl is well soon, I imagine she will need the cone on to stop biting and scratching when not being supervised and be on a very limited diet. I'm not familiar with the rope allergy testing but it sounds interesting, and is great if it can determine her allergy.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
I would follow 2manydogs (Kari) advice. Put her back on raw and get her off the steroids. The steroids are actually masking the problem and making it worse - as you've seen each time you taker her off them.
You can put her on an all natural supplement- quercitin w/ bromelain - it is known as nature's benedryl and will help with the itching. The dose is figured out by taking her weight and multiplying by 8. Example: a 60 pound dog x 8 = 480 - dog would get 480 mg a day split into 240, so 240 in the morning and 240 in the evening.
I would also follow Kari's advice about the digestive enzymes and probiotics and baths.
You should bathe her every day with a shampoo containing chlorexidine - it works against antibiotic resistant skin infections.
Here's an article you might find helpful:

The 'killer app' for canine itching and skin infections - SFGate

Please keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To those who've responded thank you. I'm beginning to see the value in taking a different approach here...I inquired with my derm vet about taking my baby off the Atopica and Azathioprine and she has agreed. The meds didn't see to agree with her...she now only receives 1mg of Triamcinolone daily but my goal is to taper this off in the coming days...Im a buit worried about how she will do when I taper this down and hope I can do some of the RIGHT things during this tapering period to help ease the transition...I can get the Clorexidine to wash her with but the raw food part has me stumped. If somebody can give me a little more direction on this. In her past she was given lots of home cooked meals of chicken, turkey, rice, peas, etc...but often she was also given commercial canned and bag food...right now she is on the Rayne Nutrition maitenance food (rabbit and potato) stricit elimination diet but she hates it. I can tell because she barks at the bowl once I've filled it and walks around the bowl but only eats because she is hungry. I want to give her the RIGHT "raw" food though...can anybody suggest a next step for me in this aREA?

THANKS

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've since been able to get my baby off the steroids but now she is taking Apoquel. From the first dose it was a miracle, her ears stopped twitching and she stopped scratching. The steroids were helping to reduce the itching but I knew they were so bad for her not to mention the skin thinning that got out of hand especially when she scratched herself, poor thing would bleed at the drop of a hat...shes been on Apoquel for about 10d now and is rapidly improving everyday now after 2 and a half months of dips, steroids, antibiotics, with no change? I hope her healing continues for her so I can transition her to raw diet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts