Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new here and I'm here to see if anyone can help us. The Vets have tried everything and are still shaking their heads as to what is wrong with my daughter's Boxer, Pharaoh.

About six months ago, Pharaoh started having digestive issues. The vets have tried all the treatments for stomach issues, such as acid reflux and gastroenteritis, with no help.

They've done ultrasounds and scopes. The scope was useless because it "didn't go in far enough" and the ultrasound shows that his small intestine is four times the size it should be.

Pharaoh is down to skin and bones. Almost everything he eats comes back up. He's literally starving to death. The vets have tried all kinds of different foods too.

At this point these are our next three options: a cortisone shot for IBS, open him up for exploratory surgery. or put him down. We certainly don't like option number 3!

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any sugguestions?

Thank you,

Pharaoh's Gammie

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Oh I am so sorry to hear of this. Way out of my realm of knowledge. I would think some of the Vet prescribed food would work?? Usually Royal Caine something or nother???

But failing that and simple enough try feeding him a raw chicken wing??? That's not enough for a true raw diet of course but it might be a good start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Digestive Issues

The vets have had him on every kind of food imaginable. Some super expensive. It all just comes back up. Thank you for replying though!

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Vets despite what people seem to believe … are not experts on nutrition??? And well … neither am I. :)

But what I know is that people that feed there dogs on a "Raw Diet" don't seem to have sensitive stomach or itching issues???

Those things seem to show up most frequently with dogs that have primarily a kibble diet??? Just saying if a change to a raw diet is actually a solution??? Your not going to hear that advise coming from a "Vet." A "raw diet" is not there thing … just saying. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does the food just come back up without notice, or does he vomit it back up where he does the lurching thing and you know it’s coming back up?

If it’s the first one (regurgitation) where the food just comes back up without any warning whatsoever...one second there’s nothing and then all of a sudden it’s there have the vet check for a sliding hiatal hernia or just a hiatal hernia. It’ll require having him fast for a good 12 hours and then they do x-rays of his abdomin. Will likely have to send it off to a lab to verify if there’s a hernia or not.

My Boston terrier/bulldog mix had a sliding hiatal hernia and had surgery for it back in February and she hasn’t had a regurgitation issue even one since the surgery. Prior to that she would regurgitate 8-10 times a night....it was horrible. The surgery was expensive (over $4k) but it was worth it and she feels so much better now.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Does the food just come back up without notice, or does he vomit it back up where he does the lurching thing and you know it’s coming back up?

If it’s the first one (regurgitation) where the food just comes back up without any warning whatsoever...one second there’s nothing and then all of a sudden it’s there have the vet check for a sliding hiatal hernia or just a hiatal hernia. It’ll require having him fast for a good 12 hours and then they do x-rays of his abdomin. Will likely have to send it off to a lab to verify if there’s a hernia or not.

My Boston terrier/bulldog mix had a sliding hiatal hernia and had surgery for it back in February and she hasn’t had a regurgitation issue even one since the surgery. Prior to that she would regurgitate 8-10 times a night....it was horrible. The surgery was expensive (over $4k) but it was worth it and she feels so much better now.
Wow that is crazy?? I hope it's not that for the OP?? But I don't know???

Glad you found a solution for your dogs issues however! And while unrelated to the topic at hand … a "Boston terrier/bulldog mix???" I have never heard of such a creature … any pictures??? Cause you know, that sounds pretty cool!

·
Registered
23 Posts
2AB1CEEC-323E-4577-9663-61DC7DDA1339.jpg

1B0541E3-C41C-4E2E-A3AC-363AB105E69D.jpg

Let me see if I can upload these pics. If they don’t work you’ll just have to trust me that she looks more like a Boston terrier than bulldog....but she’s bigger than a typical Boston terrier. She weighs just under 40 lbs.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
View attachment 124338

View attachment 124340

Let me see if I can upload these pics. If they don’t work you’ll just have to trust me that she looks more like a Boston terrier than bulldog....but she’s bigger than a typical Boston terrier. She weighs just under 40 lbs.
LOL she is awesome!! Great pictures cause in isolation she looks pretty large?? But "assuming" that is a English Bull Dog, nxet to her?? She looks quite a bit smaller???

Very cute in any case … thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My roxi had bad stomach issues too that we never figured out but we learned to adjust. Like the others, does he throw up right away or is it dry heaving some as well? When Roxi would get bad, we would do very small meals but try several of them. If her stomach was upset, she would gulp water down so we had to watch out she didn't do that because she would get sick. We used to use pepcid but it really didn't seem to help as much towards the end. We also used a probiotic in her food that seemed to help. We would boil chicken, etc to help.

I hope you can find some answers.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Is he being seen at a vet hospital that has a board-certified radiologist. We had complex GI problems with a dog, and didn't get a valid diagnosis until we went to a hospital with a board-certified radiologist on staff. They also did a barium test with the diagnostics.

The GI Lab at TAMU Veterinary School does consults, and could read existing radiology reports. I think they are the top people for this type of diagnostics.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new here and I'm here to see if anyone can help us. The Vets have tried everything and are still shaking their heads as to what is wrong with my daughter's Boxer, Pharaoh.

About six months ago, Pharaoh started having digestive issues. The vets have tried all the treatments for stomach issues, such as acid reflux and gastroenteritis, with no help.

They've done ultrasounds and scopes. The scope was useless because it "didn't go in far enough" and the ultrasound shows that his small intestine is four times the size it should be.

Pharaoh is down to skin and bones. Almost everything he eats comes back up. He's literally starving to death. The vets have tried all kinds of different foods too.

At this point these are our next three options: a cortisone shot for IBS, open him up for exploratory surgery. or put him down. We certainly don't like option number 3!

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any sugguestions?

Thank you,

Pharaoh's Gammie
Sorry to hear this. I've heard of some dogs needing to stay upright after eating (there are special chairs to help) and/or having their food raised closer to chest level helps with some issues. I can't say if it would help you....
I hope you are able to find a good solution soon.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I've heard of some dogs needing to stay upright after eating (there are special chairs to help) and/or having their food raised closer to chest level helps with some issues. I can't say if it would help you....
I hope you are able to find a good solution soon.
OK … I'm on it. :)

What your describing is a "Baily Chair." :https://www.baileychairs4dogs.com/

and the condition is called Mega Esophagus. : https://www.baileychairs4dogs.com/caninemegaesophaphagus

Sounds like it's time for a second opinion???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts