Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My 1 and 1/2 year old Female "ABIGAIL", has always feared Adult Humans.  She is only fine with myself and my girlfriend.  She Loves All Children and other dogs, both big and small.  I have had her since about 10 weeks old and I know the breeder very well, so abuse is not the case.  She does not become aggresive, just very fearfull and stressed out.  I usually ask guests to ignore her unless she aproaches them.  I have even tried keeping her on a leash so she is somewhat forced to be in the same room with other people.  We had my friend and his girlfriend house sit for us for a week, thinking she would warm up to them, but after 7 days still no love from Abigail.  She did climb in bed with them in the middle of the night, but still ran from them in the morning.  Our friends 6 year old daughter had to take care of the feeding and putting her in the crate.  Anyone have any ideas, i dont want to do the wrong thing to make this matter worse.

Thanks
JOE

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome to Boxer Forums!  :)
That is kind of strange that Abigail is fearful of adults. When you have company over or someone willing to work with you and Abigail, have them sit down on the floor so they are not "bigger" than Abigail.  Let her go to them at her own pace, have them talk softly, no loud talking or yelling to spook her. When she goes over to them, just ignore her and let her go to them and smell them at her own pace. When she gets a little comfortable with them, then maybe they can just pet her lightly under her head, like on her chest. I don't know, it's worth a try. I've never come across this problem before. Let us know how it goes.  :wink:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i have to have not come across this, unless the animal was abused which you already stated was not the case. I agree with tootsie, just be calm around her and let her go to the friends/family memebers. As was told to me most dogs dont like being pat on the head. go with under the chin, chest and around the ears. I hope things work out. keep us posted

·
Registered
381 Posts
How much socialization has she had to adults?  At 1.5 years old its not too late to improve her socialization (actually its never too late).  Try building some positive experiences for the dog around adult strangers (treats work well).

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
How odd, especially as you have raised her since she was a pup..What Tootsie said is good advise and I would try that. Definitely advise people to let her approach them and if she does seem to want to be petted, stroke her back, her chest or her belly...A lot of dogs have issues with the over the head patting, esp if they have been abused which I realize isn't your problem...Keep some treats handy also to give to out if she's doing well  :)  Keep us posted on how she does...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
wow, that is really interesting... maybe she just sees them as so much bigger and is afraid...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hello, Voltaire isn't really very sociable unless it's: children or men = play & wrestling. Women are just boring!  :lol: He wasn't an abused puppy - i can't believe the breeder who loved her dogs would do that, but he doesn't like being stroked on the head - even by me. On Sunday we went round to see family for easter (people Voltaire doesn't know) and he charged in first and for the first time EVER was crazy with joy and said hello to everyone! Let them stroke him - the lot. And there were 15 of us. He's never done this before - i still can't believe it. It's taken him 2 1/2 years to get this far so don't give up hope!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts