Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boxer, Astrid, has been having some noticeable issues with losing things in front of her face and become a little clumsy (running into things). She has become increasingly nervous all the time, I believe as a result of her sight loss. For the longest time, I thought it was all just in my head so I haven't done anything about it, but finally decided to take her to the vet and ask them about it last week. The vet said that she needs to go to an ophthalmologist because they just don't have the equipment to further test anything. They did check the pressure in her eyes and it is normal so that's good at least. They checked her blood pressure and it was fine too. They said from what they can tell it has something to do with the pupil muscles not working properly. You can see her tapetum lucidum way more often than you should see it. You can see it like all the time even when there is plenty of light. Does anyone have any experience with a young dog losing eye sight?

Astrid had TPLO surgery back in September of last year and she has fully recovered. I want to say that is when I noticed her eyes being dilated more than they should be but I thought maybe it was caused by the medications that she was taking. She had an incision infection that we were getting antibiotic injections done once or twice a week for months. I'm wondering if that could have something to do with her eyes?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My sisters dog basically had the same thing happen. Started not being able to track things, bumping into things, becoming more nervous. It was something genetic and there was no surgery for it.He has pretty much lost all his eyesight, but has adapted really well. Not nervous anymore and back to the way he was when he had full eyesight. Dogs are pretty resilient. He still goes out and plays and does everything he did before, he just uses his sense of smell and hearing much more now.

Good luck, hopefully there is an option for her. If not, I wouldn't worry too much, she will adapt.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your reply. I worry about her interactions with my other two boxers because of the sight loss. She is sweeter with my husband and I, but she is meaner to the two dogs. I talked to the ophthalmologist yesterday and have a consultation scheduled July 16th. This poor girl has had nothing but health issues, I wish I had known more about the breeder before we went to pick her up. The place she came from was more like a puppy mill than a breeder. We will never buy from a backyard breeder again. Our most recent boxer was from a great breeder and now we know what to look for.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
She might be a little more aggressive at 1st, but if nothing can be done she might learn she has to rely on the other dogs a little more.

I know with my sisters dog, they said don't rearrange anything in the house, because the dog already knows where everything is. Also you have to be a bit more careful with young kids around. If the dog can't see and gets startled, first reaction might be to snap. Also when she was bringing him to new places give him a little more time to adapt. They will use their sense of smell a lot more, so walking can be a much slower process sometimes.

Good luck at the ophthalmologist. Hopefully something can be done.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am sorry you are going thru this with your dog, I hope the eye doctor will have some kind of treatment for her. I agree with Matt blind dogs will need special consideration but you sound like a loving owner and will be understanding with her. You really have to be warry of back yard breeders I think you have already found that out though. Good luck with her.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry you are going thru this with your dog, I hope the eye doctor will have some kind of treatment for her. I agree with Matt blind dogs will need special consideration but you sound like a loving owner and will be understanding with her. You really have to be warry of back yard breeders I think you have already found that out though. Good luck with her.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm no stranger to dealing with special needs dogs. One of my other boxers has been special needs since we rescued him (he has neurological issues). I love my animals unconditionally. We haven't had kids so they are like my kids!

She might be a little more aggressive at 1st, but if nothing can be done she might learn she has to rely on the other dogs a little more.

I know with my sisters dog, they said don't rearrange anything in the house, because the dog already knows where everything is. Also you have to be a bit more careful with young kids around. If the dog can't see and gets startled, first reaction might be to snap. Also when she was bringing him to new places give him a little more time to adapt. They will use their sense of smell a lot more, so walking can be a much slower process sometimes.

Good luck at the ophthalmologist. Hopefully something can be done.
Thanks for the suggestions. She snapped at one of my other boxers because he was behind her and she didn't know, and it's part of the reason we finally took her to the vet. She still uses her eyes a lot so she's not completely blind and that's why we want to get her looked at right away to see if there is something we can do to stop it from progressing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts