Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i want to give an update and ask for advice.

Update- both girls are finally getting in the groove of the whole eating thing! we are starting to add weight on little by little. I was not really worried about Reese becuase she is going through her "anorexic" stage (nothing but extra skin and long legs and bone) but as most of you may know i was worried about Savannah. Well her ribs are disappearing and the part of her spine we could see we can no longer see!! they both are starting to show a little more boxer qualities (i.e jumping around, playing, Reese did a boxer burn) and believe it or not they are playing with toys and such now. After tootsie posted about the bobo (sp?) i went and bought a small one, a rubber chicken, a squeaky monkey with a skirt and some other things. Savannah has taken to the chicken and wont let it out of her sight. Most of the time she just sits or walks around with it hanging out her mouth!! Reese is happy with ALL the other toys!! I have pics that i will post later when i get home today. Reese is actually only about an inch shorter than Savannah so i think she will be a big girl.

Advice-Savannah was NEVER socialized, and once we got Reese they both became anti-social. We take them to the dog park each weekend, and we have people come over from time to time. Other than my daughter and my boyfriend they will only stay in the room for one other person (my brother). If ANYONE comes over-they both run upstairs and hide in the bedrooms.  They will stay up there for HOURS if the company stays for a long period. When we go to the dog park or to the pet stores they try to hid behind my legs. Now i dont know about y'all but two boxers are visible behind my legs!! Savannah is around 50 lbs and Reese weighed in around 34lbs i believe. So my legs cant hide that!! anywho-no matter what they always run from EVERYTHING. If we move to quickly, if we are doing typical household chores, even if i swivel in my computer chair they freak!! I cant even keep count on how many times my girls have run into wall, the coffee table, the couch, ect from trying to get away from the invisible. Now i never really knew how Savannah was raised, but Reese has never had a spanking. I hear most of you talking about "typical puppy behavior" being just very social and such. I kinda sit back sometime and wonder what is wrong with my girls. Why do they act this way. I dont want my girls to be scared of EVERYTHING the encounter. I wouldnt think that after almost two months of going to the dog park everyweekend i would have to practically drag them through the gates. Thoughts? Ideas?? Help!?!?!!?! sorry for the long post!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The behaviors you are describing are fear related.  Hiding, running away...etc etc etc...

Go slow with them.  Try not to force them into anything they aren't ready for.  ALWAYS go at your dogs pace!!!!  When meeting new people:  carry treats with you, have the new people get down to your dogs' level and let your dogs sniff them (NO EYE CONTACT OR TALKING TO THE DOG)!!!  {Make sure you tell the new people not to make any move toward your dogs.  You should talk to them in calm, soothing and firm tones.  DO NOT CODDLE THEM!!!  Coddling them is only reinforcing the fearful behavior!!!)When the dog has sniffed and is CALM and FOCUSED ON YOU, treat and praise (you do this).  This will reinforce the calm behavior and the dog focus on you.  After that if the dog is still calm, then have the person SLOWLY offer the treat (variable eye contact [look at dog, look away; turn head and expose throat--dogs see this as you showing them that you are not a threat]; quiet talking that sounds happy and encouraging)

If the dog doesn't want the treat then, continue to praise the dog for being calm.  After a few moments...move on your way!!!

Make Sure that when your dogs are meeting someone new that the stranger NEVER MAKES SUDDEN MOVES.  This can cause a fearful dog extreme anxiety and prompt a bite or bite threat.

In all honesty, it sounds like your older dog is teaching your younger dog this "anti-social" behavior.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking Savannah could be teaching it to Reese. when Reese first came home she was not like this. We adopted Savannah from a "breeder" in March, so i have no clue what this poor girl has been through other knowing she lived outside her whole life.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
We tend to forget that dogs have the capability of communicating with each other, so Yea, I think it's very possible that Reese is picking things up from Savannah...That poor girl, it really makes you wonder what she went thru before you got her for her to be so skittish..I have never heard of a boxer fleeing the room when guests come over before but anythin gis possible...

I would say do things slowly, baby steps I guess for lack of a better word. Lots of praise for the simpleist things..Sounds  like they almost need a confidence boost. Does that make any sense? Maybe try some simple commands and make it a game, keeping it light so they don't fail...

The fact that they are both starting to play with toys I think is great, that very well could be a first step Andrea...It's hard when you know that there is something wrong, and not knowing how to fix it...Bless those 2 sweeties, they sure did find a good Mommy!  :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts