Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I have had my dog for just over two years now. He is the sweetest boy ever! I am going through a very hard time lately. I had to make a very upsetting decision to rehome him. I am moving into student apartments which I will be sharing with 3 other people and I don't feel right bringing my dog into that kind of environment(he would pretty much just confined to my room for 8 hours a day) he is very well trained and wouldn't have an issue with this. A person I work with is very good with his dogs and is willing to take him. I can't help but feel greedy and want to keep him all to myself. Please help reassure me that I'm doing the right thing :(

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My heart is torn..he has separation anxiety already and rarely leaves my side... but I don't know what is more cruel...separating us or locking him in a room for hours on end... I always read posts of situations where people get pets and it leads to re-homing and I can't help but judge them in a horrible manner...now I feel I'm one of those people..

·
Registered
453 Posts
think of it this way, everyone has to work and we all have to leave our pups 'locked up' for several hours a day.. my guys usually get 6 hours through the day, and then crated at night. i know it seems horrible, but, they are safe and are able to get out and run and play several hours between crating (the pups get crated when i go to work, the adults do not). from what i have experienced with college, there is time between classes (sometime 15 minutes, sometimes an hour or so) maybe you could go to your dorm and let your pup out at this time. he will protest at first, but in time will get used to it. be positive about it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think it would be fine for him to be in your room for 8 hours. Some dogs are crated for more than that and it works. Boxers are very agreeable and you most likely c an make it work.

He looks very sweet, your new roomates may take to him right away. If he respects a baby gate you may be able to just gate him in your room so he can see what's going on. I would at least give it a try.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My Granddaughter lives in an apartment, they have a pitbull mix rescue and a chi weenie that are crated when she is at work and school. She goes on her lunch hour every day and takes them to a nearby dog park to run and then after work before she goes to classes. They are very happy and well adjusted.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wouldn't rush into rehoming until you are sure you have to. I would try whatever you can to make it work first or you may end up with regret for a long time. It always seems like it's the what ifs that stick with you forever.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am currently in a one bedroom apartment and he has free range of the apartment. My lease is up and they are raising my rent to about $700 a month from the $600 I was paying. I will be going back to college in may and I qualify for student housing and the rent will be $400 a month and that includes utilities and all but I will be living with 3 other people.. so my worry is he gets crazy from being confined all day and makes my roommates life's miserable because of it. I wont be meeting these roommates until I move in though. Also I tried to crate train him before and he chewed the clips off of the door and got out(chipping his tooth in the process)- he has seperation anxiety. But I went to my apartment manager today and told him he better do a good job of matching me with "pet friendly" people because I'm going to atleast try it out. I do have a friend and his wife that are more then willing to take him but the thought alone brings me to tears. .. they are great but I know the effect it would have on him.

·
Registered
453 Posts
you should at the very least give your boy a chance to adjust (and is sounds like you are) I wish you good luck, and hope that it works out well for you and your pup

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mean Axel is perfectly fine for not going potty inside.. he eats, drinks, goes potty on command lol..he just has anxiety issues when I leave..I guess we will just have to see what happens..oh and the pet gate thing wouldn't work lol...I build a half wall to try to keep him in the kitchen once and he managed to always be out of the kitchen when I would get home and the wall was like 6feet tall.. his is almost 3 years old after all so he defiantly knows his tricks on gettin out of things. And as far as anxiety goes..I tried the fragrenced collar and plug in thing neither worked. Any other advice for combating anxiety?

·
Registered
310 Posts
My situation recently changed last minute and max had to go from being with someone all day to being crated with only 4 days to prep him (long story). We put a thunder shirt on max when he goes in his crate. With it on he calms down a few min after I leave and stays that way. Without it he takes alot longer and continues freaking out a bit on and off throughout the day. Home surveillance is great but not when you are at work watching your pup freak out and try to rip the door off the crate for 4 hours. Since I got him the thunder shirt he seems to be fine. Mostly sleeps while he's in there. Might be worth a shot. If it doesn't work they have a money back guarantee.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts