Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not really, but it feels like it. Let me explain... (sorry so long)

Last night we brought home Cordelia (Cori). Cori is a 1 year old, fawn girl who has been in 3 homes since she was born. Because she lived so far from us, we weren't able to allow her and Cosmo (Cosmo is our 6 month old brindle male) to meet BEFORE deciding to bring her home. So, last night I brought her home and we had the dogs meet outside in the front yard. Well, there was some growling (her growl is REALLY evil sounding...it's kinda scary) and jumping which is to be expected. Then we brought them inside and they were ALL OVER EACH OTHER. They were growling, nipping, running....obviously they were trying to establish dominance. In fact, Cori was being very dominant and she definitely put Cosmo in his place, though he didn't (and still hasn't really) back down without a fight. Anyway, they tore through the house for a good 2-3 hrs. They would take a break, get some water, go pee (sometimes in the house) and then right back to it.

Finally, around 10:30/11 we could tell they were getting tired, so we went to bed. Cosmo has always slept in our bed or at least in our room, so we figured we would just continue having both of them in there. WELL, the rumbling started again once we got to the bedroom. Now, they had to figure out who was dominant in this room. Unfortunately, Jeremy and I got the brunt of most of this because we were lying/sitting on the bed and they just plowed over us (that's where the internal organ damage comes from). So, around midnight, everyone finally calms down and goes to sleep.

Then, around 4 am, Cori has to go out. So, Jeremy gets up to take her out and guess who else has to get up? Cosmo...By now, they are both wide awake and ready to rumble again. I kid you not, they tore through the living/dining room for 3.5 hours before they even calmed down long enough to take them upstairs again. Then, they had to figure out the bed situation again. Needless to say, we have not gotten any sleep (though I think they are all sleeping now...9:15 AM...while I write this).

So, here's my question...how long can we expect to not get any sleep? Do you have a suggestion for the sleeping arrangements? Cosmo will not sleep in his crate. Cori might, but then she will be crated for 2/3 of the day and she just came from a situation where she was in a cage for significantly longer than that. How is it possible that they can go for 3-4 hours at a time and not be tired?? We totally thought that Cosmo needed a playmate and we are so happy to have Cori. She's a really beautiful girl and so loving. Bit are we crazy for having 2 young boxers? They seem to like each other now and we can tell they are playing because their nubs are always wagging. But we need sleep and to not have crushed organs. Please help!

P.S. We'll post some pictures of them as soon as I can get them to chill out long enough to take some.

OK....here's the update. Cosmo still is bothering Cori, but this afternoon was great. They played, slept, met my in-laws, and they were both good! Now they are both passed out on the couch. Also, here is a pic of the two of them sitting on my lap together. Sorry its so bad, but it's from a phone...we couldn't find the camera quick enough!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Re: My internal organs may be damaged...

Attila and Daphne were the same way.  With us it took a few days maybe a week or two.  But they still will play ruff all day everyday, and pretty soon one of them will prove to be the dominant one and i bet it will be the female.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Any advice on how we prevent them both getting up at the same time? Especially in the middle of the night...When it was just Cosmo, we would take him out in the middle of the night (sometimes), but he would always go straight back to sleep. Is this something that will come with time?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

IMO it will come with time.  Ours do that once and a while but thats because they want to be together constantly now.  Why do they need to go out during the night?  We pick up the water and food at about 8pm and they go out for the last time at about 9:30/10:00 and they hold it all till about 7:00am

·
Registered
648 Posts

Same here - even britney at 5 mo. always waits until morning. But I also take away her water after 830 and take her out at 10pm for her last pee.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well, last night they were going at for so long before bed that we decided to give them water. Their tongues were REALLY hanging out. Usually, we don't do that. We had been picking up Cosmo's water soon after his dinner (which is at 7).

·
Registered
648 Posts

I think they just have the jitters... I think it will calm down soon. You have to remember they couldn't even meet first and another dog is coming in HIS house.. That must take a huge adjustment for Cosmo. I don't think britney would take it that well lol

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

So glad you made it home safe and sound :D I think the play will calm down a bit as they get used to each other, it's all really new right now. As far as getting up and going potty at the same time, ours always do that. Sometimes (if it's still dark out) they'll come back in and sleep a bit more. :D What a wonderful thing you did going to get that sweet girl, I'm sure that they'll both repay you with happiness many times over!!!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

CosmosMommy\";p=\"89801 said:
Bit are we crazy for having 2 young boxers? .
If having two young ones makes you a crazy person, then i must be a lunatic with 3...2 one year olds and a 3 yr old!!!! :lol:

When we brought samson home we let the girls and samson run in the backyard. They ran for hours!! Savannah is the dominant dog and pack leader of the dogs...I am pack leader of the entire home and they all know that!! :) Luckily though Samson is actually has a submissive personality so it didnt take them long to figure out where each of their places where.  I think if you give them a few days as suggested things will work out fine. I know if i get up to take one dog out then ALL the dogs have to go, its their pack mentality. I wish you the best of luck!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

They are crazy....and Cosmo is such an instigator! I sure hope it calms down soon. Also, Cori is a barker...Cosmo was much quieter. Ahh...we shall see. Any other thoughts are always welcome.

Oh yeah, Cori has been peeing and walking at the same time (in the house and outside). DO you think she's just marking??

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

Have you taken them for walks together? I think that would be a good idea, with two people of course.  It will get them out of the house and hopefully they will not want to fight as much with other stimulus.  How is Cosmo usually with other dogs?
She could be marking, or she could have a UTI, I think its worth seeing a vet for.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

Glad you made it home safe after driving in this crappy weather. Just remember that she was in a very bad situation and caged most of her life....she probably doesnt know how to act with all the new found freedom. I am sure things will settle down soon and will be normal in your house. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

OK...so we just gpt back from the vet and he said that physically, Cori is great. However, she did growl at him and the assistant. I told him that she had been doing that all night whenever Cosmo was bugging her. He said that that really isn't normal behavior for a young boxer and that we should keep an eye on her when she is playing with Cosmo. He said maybe that's just her way of talking and getting attention, but it could be more serious. It really scared me! He said it could be a real problem...But, then we went to the pet store where there were other dogs and people and she was fine. I don't know...we are just really nervous about what we might have gotten ourselves into. Also, it doesn't help that Cosmo is a serious instigator. He keeps nipping at her. For awhile she will ignore him, but then she growls and fights back. I would think that would be normal. It just sounds scary. How do we keep him from messing with her? She's great when he leaves her alone. She is just sooooooo sweet, we really want this to work out but we don't want them to kill each other. Help!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

Don't want to disagree with your vet, and I'd keep a close eye on them but it sounds like pretty normal behavior to me. If anyone ever heard Donner and Blitzen playing they'd SWEAR there were going to be casualties!!! After a while your ear adapts to what is ferocious playing, when it's a serious warning bark/growl and when it's REALLY time to intervene. Cori has had a LOT of changes in a short time, I think it's only natural that she would be a little uptight. Keep watch, but as much as possible I'd let them work it out, Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

congrats on the new girl...

that sounds like mine too...had our black lab first who had been tied 24/7 for 4 yrs of his life...brought Isis home a month later and you all know her story..same thing sorta she had been in a conrete outside cage used as a puppy machine for 4 years straight NEVER let out ever..so she was in unknown territory when she got here...

now 2 yrs later...they are best friends..Onyx our black lab thinks hes a boxer and they rip around the house like maniacs...there was alot of growling even snapping at first..

even still if Onyx keeps at her to play and she doesnt feel like it she'll growl..but he backs off..in the beginning he didnt back off and boy oh boy was it loud and crazy..

i thiink they are just finding themselves and their places..dont worry unless it turns ugly...remember the old saying " if a dog WANTS to bite or hurt..IT WILL" growling and even a quick snap is a warning and they dont WANT to bite...

good luck and i really think itll be just fine !!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

My Lab and Chance are the same way...hubby thinks alot that they are wanting to kill each other. Plus out lab will growl and snarl at the vet but is fine with anyone else. I have to muzzle her for the vet. And Chance got kicked outta pet mart because of his growling at people. But while he was growling his tail was going a mile a minute....sometimes i think they are comunicating when they do that. Good luck and i hope everything works out.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

It sounds like Cosmo could be stressing her a little too... she will already be stressed b/c she is in a completely new environment-even if it is a million times better than before.  Keep in mind she probably was not socialized much either- but it sounds like she does well at the petstore, so that is good!  Maybe she is just defending herself with Cosmo.
I would give them both one on one time.  It is important for Cori, so her first days aren't spent arguing with this new strange dog, and for Cosmo so he doesn't associate a new dog with less one on one people time.  You could also tether them on opposite sides of the room so they can be in each other's company and not be able to get into it. Maybe you can sit on one side with one of them and your husband the other so they both have a person to love too ;)
Also, I said it before but make sure both of them get LOTS of exercise and mutual walks are good for that.  Cosmo shouldn't take really long walks since he is younger, but if you go at a slower pace and let him stop and sniff it should be okay for shorter walks.
You didn't mention it before, but I would be careful when feeding them or giving prized treats/toys.  It sounds like these could cause issues between the two.  Let's see if they can get used to each other first, then they can work out the deal with toys and food.
HTH

·
Registered
462 Posts

I hope everything works out. Please remember that she was left alone in a cage most of her life. Im sure its going to take some time for her social skills to get into check.

When we got Zora her and Gunner tore around like mad and still do. They used to be crazy at night but after about 2 weeks they got on a schedule. Cant wait to see pics of them together.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Glad you're back okay and have that gorgeous new girl you rescued.  It is a big adjustment for all after the big ride and everyone will need to settle in to the new routine and it shouldn't take too long.  She probably didn't have much training and the vet with all the changes and stuff just scared her.  Best of luck and post more pics when you get them.

Nano

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Congratulations to your new baby, she is so pretty.  I agree, it could be that she had a bad experience at a vet or it was just the strange smells with everything so new to her.  Don't have any experience with two but from what others have said it sounds pretty normal.  Hope everything gets a bit better everyday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts