Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to one of our Humane Society's today with a friend who is looking for a dog.  I go in there once every 2 weeks, if not once a week. (that's where I got my Niko from)  Well, today they had a 1 yr old female boxer.  She was fawn with black mask....just a cutie!  She has mange and she's very skinny.   I felt so bad for her.  Of course I wanted to bring her home, like I want to do with every dog in there, but I just can't right now.  If I could have a boxer farm I would.  I just want them all.  I came home and told my husband and he thinks I'll be back up there trying to bring her home.  I wish I could but not now.  I have my 2 and that's all I can do at this time.  I was so sad and didn't want to leave her though.  I don't kow why I put myself through that.  I need to stay away from that place for a while.   :cry:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Trish i know how you feel!! i stopped going to the local shelters because it breaks my heart to see all the animals that need homes. Even though i could afford to add one more to the pack, our shelters are so strict they wont adopt out to me because my child is under the age of 10. Before we got Savannah i was searching through the local shelter and found a gorgeous male fawn about 1.5-2 yrs old. the lady at the shelter wouldnt even let me in the room toplay with him because they told me there was no way they would adopt him to me because of my daughter. I was so mad!! Yes she is only 6 but this is the only breed of dog she has ever been around, and she handles them suprisingly well...not to mention that boxers are WONDERFUL with children. He was so excited and beaning around the room, that it broke my heart to walk away from him.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, they are strict.  I'm so glad they let me adopt Niko.  I have 2 sons...9 and 5.  They did have me bring Mo up to see if they got along.  Yeah, I think I really need to stop  going so much before I have a house full of dogs.  LOL

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Awhhh.... poor baby! 3 is definitely A LOT to handle!! I have 3 dogs... not even all BOXERS and it's A LOT of work!! It's amazing what "puppy-math" can do to your household!! We weren't even thinking about a buddy for Odin till a yr or so down the line. Then all of a sudden I rescue Nikki from my fathers place and THEN we feel bad they don't get along so want to get Odin a buddy!! LOL Wow... it all happened so quickly!! ANYWAY...

Hopefully she will find a good home!!

AND WOW Andrea... I think it's good to be strict but THAT'S PUSHING IT if you ask me!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think that's one of the reasons I stay clear of our shelter...I have a hard enuf time when I browse Petfinder or my Boxer Rescue....Andrea, those are some pretty strict rules they have, I know ours are not that way here as one of Marq's helpers adopted from the shelter and they have a 3 yr old..That is really a shame...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I really think the shelters are too strict.  I know they want to find the perfect owner, but with so many homeless dogs...they should make it easier.  The rescues around me frowned on me when I hadn't owned a boxer before.   I was like I had a Viszla...they aren't exactly lap dogs.  They basically steered me away from adoption.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts