Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh there are so many wonderful things about my Titus, but I'll let you watch this video before I tell you more...

This video was taken exactly 27 days after we rescued Titus. His story is one initially of being loved, but ultimately the victim of poor planning. His first "parents" bought him from a breeder and took wonderful care of him, including chipping him, neutering him, and paying for a costly foot surgery. In the end though, they divorced and neither could/would take custody of him and so he ended up at Boxers and Buddies, our local rescue. At 10 months old, Titus was a large puppy, to say the least, but still cute in the way that only puppies could be and was adopted by his first family. Unacustomed to the exuberance Titus brought to the table, they were overwhelmed and within 2 months, he was back at Boxers and Buddies. This time, being more cautious in the choice of families Titus could go live with, Boxers and Buddies finally agreed to what they deemed a suitable home. A stay at home mom with 2 boys. It seemed a match made in heaven-until the "cute" factor wore off. Again, back to Boxers and Buddies Titus went. By this time, Titus was feeling a little wounded and more than a little introverted. I saw his picture on the website and fell in love.

If only the story were that simple........I went down to meet some of the Boxers up for adoption and was shown every male (we have a female already) BUT Titus. You see, I run an in home daycare and his last family said that he was too rough to be around any child under 12. While I loved all the babies I met, none were the "right" dog for our family. I volunteered and got to know the staff a little better and was FINALLY allowed to meet Titus. It was LOVE at first lick!!! My female adores him and my JRT tolerates him (that's good for this house). My children adore him and he even won over my hubby. The negotiations for Titus began. Based on the surrender papers, Titus was: too rough with young children, destructive, a holy terror, untrainable, a bull in a china shop, ready to kill the family cat, afraid of water, pulled constantly on the leash, chewed everything in sight and was not house broken. HHMMMM....even at first this didn't seem right. BUT, after an hour's worth of convincing, I agreed to IMMEDIATE obedience training (to begin 4 days after adoption) and they agreed to bring Titus to the house.

The minute he stepped foot in the house, he knew he was home. As you can see from the video, he is a gift from heaven and we are so lucky to have found eachother. After 4 weeks, I can feel 100% sure in telling you that: he is as gentle with children as a baby's own grandmother, is as sweet as the day is long, has only destroyed 1 bag of charcoal, is eager to train and understands so much already (can stay for 1 minute at a time, with distractions), cuddles with our kitty Gabby, loves to swim when we go camping, has learned to walk within 12" of me on leash without pulling, only chews on his toys and is 100% housebroken.

I am so thankful to those families for returning him to a place that would take good care of him until I could go rescue him and give him the wonderful life he deserves. Thanks to both my Boxer babies, I will forever be owned by a Boxer......

· Registered
7,907 Posts
Wow what an absoulte angel he is, laying them all quietly, hes the kind of dog that the kids can dress up and he'll just sit there and take it all in his stride :lol:

He is beautiful and you're very luck to have found each other, luckily you were able to look past the bad press and see the true diamond in Titus, Zulu is sending a big double woo woo to you :D

· Registered
5,691 Posts
:cry:  :cry: we wuff you Titusssssssssssssss....

· Registered
899 Posts
What a beautiful and happy story!!!  Brought tears to my eyes!  I felt this each time I rescued a boxer, from Sammy, to Billy to our current puppy Sky... they are all so wonderful and I am a firm believer in rescuing!  We are hoping to rescue a brother or sister for Sky in the fall, can't wait!   :D

· Banned
2,318 Posts
ok total tears in my eyes.titus is such a handsome man,how good is he with the babies???!!! wow what a good boy!!! so glad he found a forever with your family!

· Registered
18,320 Posts
Oh man, what a story...Now that the tears have faded I can post...Wow, what a long path Titus had to go before finding you....And hard to believe that they all thought he wasn't good with kids....That is absolutely amazing....Did you send the rescue that video? I bet that put a huge smile on their faces

· Registered
1,189 Posts
aww that's such a nice story!  Goes to show that a dog's behaviour is all in the owners.  Autumn was also listed as a "pain in the a$$ pup" by the lady I got her from...and she has not done a single (literally not one) bad thing since we got her.  She's a little angel...I'm so glad Titus turned out to be the same way!!!  He's such a pretty boy, and those videos of the kids all over him are way too cute!

· Registered
1,334 Posts
it's a rare day that i don't come on here and shed a tear, and today is no exception.

I am a total believer in fate, and I think that fate brought Titus and your family together!!  
As I said yesterday, Titus just fits right in with you guys.  He looks so at ease and the kids and him are perfect.

What a touching story, so awesome that you stuck it out until you got your way!!

· Registered
358 Posts
If the previous owners had spent the time on him he would have been the dog you now have as its all down to the love you give them......they will give it back

As for him being ready to kill...... if you look closely you can really see the anger in him when they take the blanket from his head..........NOT, looks like to me he was more than happy to have the kids crawl all over him pmsl ace clip

· Registered
11,430 Posts
That is such a wonderful story and so glad you posted it.  I wish that more people would consider adopting from a rescue, the rewards are so wonderful.

[quote="2littleapples\";p=\"160326":1o03sfhf] I am a total believer in fate, and I think that fate brought Titus and your family together!!

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was always nervous about rescuing, but now I am so happy I did! Knowing a dog's personality and having them choose you is so special!! Thanks everyone for your wonderful posts and support!!!!  8->

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.