Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
adopted a small female beagel mix about a week in a half ago. She took it to get a check up were they discovered she has lymes disease so they put her on anitbiotics and she is also pregnant. she is due in about 4-6 weeks. The vet she goes to wont spay her while she is pregnant so she called the shelter and told them, they got snotty with her and said it doesnt matter if shes pregnant she still has to be spayed so they gave her 2 numbers of vets that will do it while she is pregnant. I dont know if I am going to start an argument or not and this is not my intention,but I dont think thats right. I thinkshe she be allowed to have them, then when they are old enough to be taken away from their mom they can go to that shelter to make sure that they get fixed and adopted. I understand the hole overpopulation thing but whats done is done. My mother in law called and asked them if  they would just let her have them then take them and have them spayed and adoptthem out but they said no and actually said if she doesnt fix her they could sue her.

G

·
0 Posts
What?  I would NOT have a dog spayed while it was pregnant.  Why did they adopt out a PREGNANT dog?  That is the shelter's fault.  

Have the puppies and THEN have her spayed.  Then have the shelter spay/neuter the puppies.  MOST shelters do good with their animals, but some of them I just don't understand their reasoning behind things.

Wouldn't it put the Beagle's and the puppies at risk by putting her under while she is pregnant?   :?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know if it would hurt to do it while she is pregnant or not, i just dont think  its right. The shelter states they didnt know she was pregnant. you cant tell she is...she is really small maybe 15 lbs.

G

·
0 Posts
[quote="Starr05\";p=\"106285":334gx16q]I dont know if it would hurt to do it while she is pregnant or not, i just dont think

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="bingasmom\";p=\"106277":31gf1e0g]Wouldn't it put the Beagle's and the puppies at risk by putting her under while she is pregnant?

G

·
0 Posts
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"106369":2riwmrjm][quote="bingasmom\";p=\"106277":2riwmrjm]Wouldn't it put the Beagle's and the puppies at risk by putting her under while she is pregnant?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes she signed a spay agreement she has to get her sayed with in a certain time frame. But even if she didnt call the shelter to lett hem know that she was pregnant, if she didnt have the puppies before the time was up she would still have to have her spay.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i too was under the impression that they abort the pups when they do this...sad i would think its still the shelters responsibilty to spay her after the fact NOT now...and to help find them homes once they are fixed

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am wondering if they are thinking of the fact that Lyme disease will most likly be transmitted to the babies from the mother and the litter could have defect issues.....The other thing would be is the antibiotics that were prescribe to the female are safe for the puppies...

Use of good (strong) antibiotics can cause a Herx reaction in the females and can cause resorption of the fetuses.

This is a no-win situation in some cases because it is never good to spay a dog while her immune system is down, which it will be with the Lyme disease....at the same time.........The puppies may have serious issues and also be born with Lyme disease, which can be controlled but not ever removed from the body....

If I were presented with this same situation (and depending on all the facts/before the pups get older)....I would spay the female!

G

·
0 Posts
All that you said Sharon makes sense.  Its just a VERY sad situation all around   :(

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sharonL\";p=\"106412 said:
I am wondering if they are thinking of the fact that Lyme disease will most likly be transmitted to the babies from the mother and the litter could have defect issues.....The other thing would be is the antibiotics that were prescribe to the female are safe for the puppies...

Use of good (strong) antibiotics can cause a Herx reaction in the females and can cause resorption of the fetuses.

This is a no-win situation in some cases because it is never good to spay a dog while her immune system is down, which it will be with the Lyme disease....at the same time.........The puppies may die, may alread be dead, have serious issues and also be born with Lyme disease....

If I were presented with this same situation (and depending on all the fact)....I would spay the female!

Sharon
I dont think the vet that she took her too even suggested that the pups could get the disease or that the meds could cause defects. I am going to pass this info to her. i just think that its a sad situation. but thanks for the info. Shouldnt he said something about all of that?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="Starr05";p="106419
I dont think the vet that she took her too even suggested that the pups could get the disease or that the meds could cause defects. I am going to pass this info to her. i just think that its a sad situation. but thanks for the info. Shouldnt he said something about all of that?[/quote]

The medicine "if safe for preg females" will not cause the defects....It can cause a reaction in the mother which could cause a problem with the babies".......it is the spirochaete bacteria that is the issue in that case.....If the mother had lyme disease prior to becoming prego and with the estimated due time of the puppies, it is safe to say that she probably did...then yes it can be passed to the puppies.....

Even with treatment of Lyme disease there are other issues with joints that can resurface many years down the road.....the med's dont get rid of the bacteria, they only suppressit. The bacteria stays in the body in a latent form. The treatment can be successul and the disease can still come back at a later time.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ugggg... she said that the vet told her that the meds would get rid of it completely. maybe she should get a second oppinion? i guess it doesnt matter shes attatched to "lucy" so even if she does get it again she'll still love her. But I will pass this info to her so she can be aware that it may come back.
Thanks Sharon!!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Here is some info from an article that I have that may help......

Written by Dr. Fry...........

Diagnosis of Lyme disease is made by presence of appropriate clinical signs, rule-out of alternate causes of these signs, demonstration of infection with Borrelia burgdorferi and response to antibiotic therapy.

A positive blood titer is an indication of exposure to the organism (via a vaccine or tick bite) and by itself is not diagnostic of Lyme disease. A positive titer can take up to 6 weeks to develop and may remain elevated for months to years without new infection. A Western Blot (specialized blood test) can distinguish antibodies from a vaccine or natural infection.

Response to therapy with antibiotics in the penicillin or tetracycline families is usually seen within 3-5 days and is often quite dramatic. Baytril and Sulfa drugs are ineffective for treatment of Lyme disease. About 10-25% of dogs treated for Lyme arthritis will become chronically affected and have incomplete resolution of signs or recurrent disease.

ONCE INFECTED=INFECTED FOR LIFE Antibiotics will reduce the signs of disease but it does not clear the spirochetes from the body. The larger the number of spirochetes in the tissue, the worse the clinical signs will be in that area of the body. Natural infection does NOT lead to protection against the disease.

Maybe this will help a little....she can compare this info to what she has been given and the length of treatment.....this is pretty standard.........it is up to you on getting a 2nd opinion....I think it is pretty safe to say the current vet needs to brush up on Lyme Disease a little :) The complication in this is the addition to the pups because some of the stronger antibiotics cant be used on prego females.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts