Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

My new rescue

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  chip18 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
It's been a long time since my last visit. We lost our Oscar back in November due to cancer.

I decided it was time to try again but this time we got a Rescue. He is 2 years old and just got fixed 12 days ago. He is coming from an apartment. husband and wife and 3 kids, they said he is good with dogs (yes he is) cats (yes he is) and I'm thinking kids as he is coming from a place that had 3 of them.

Here we are at day 10 with him and he is a sweetheart but I'm having issues.

#1 walks fantastic on a leash
#2 great with other dogs

Issues

Not trained sitting, staying table manners he doesn't even know his name or chooses not to listen at all.

He took to me like I was his best friend for ever, problem is when i move he moves. We have a baby gate over the steps because of grandkids and when i try to go down the stairs he won't stay and just bolts down the stairs.

When i finally get him to stay he will jump over the gate.
When i leave he starts to wine and paces from side door to front window.

So separation anxiety I'm guessing.

The worse is when meeting new people, he's 50/50 on this one.
I tell people he's a rescue and he's not good with some people. so people will come up to him and put there hand in front of him slowly and some times he will try to bite them and sometimes he won't. I'm very worried about this and don't fell comfortable at all.

We are getting a trainer coming in to look at him to see if this is treatable. If not they are saying they may have to put him down. Breaks my heart but you don't want a boxer with this problem.

Would love to hear your input on this and maybe ways I can save him and make him the lovable guy i know he is.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
First ... I'm sorry about your Oscar. :(

Second I often say, take a deep breath and relax! Third this dog ... is not your other dog, work with the dog in front of you.

You have to make good choices for you dog. And for me a dog that is 50/50 with people?? Is not a dog that is a meet and greet type of Dog! For me that is a "Zero Bite" policy type of dog.

http://www.boxerforums.com/welcome-boxer-forums/200714-boxer-owner-behavior-issues.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=zer...VAhUV8WMKHeaADXEQrQIINigEMAA&biw=1600&bih=770

Sigh ... yeah I was kinda wild and crazy back in the day but some of that will give you some idea of where I'm coming from. :)

Right now what your are describing is a combination of "over expectations" from a dog that has not been trained aside from the walk at all. And a "Trainer" that has not even seen the "Dog" already talking "PTS???" if being around Kids (and you said no issues with them granted) and strangers lots of family and "strangers" in the home??

If those things are a "requirement" then perhaps this is not the "right dog for you???" Rather than take the "risk" of having ... the clicker treat and distraction approach fail, an "assumption" on part ... it would be better to return the dog "Now" before he gets a "Bite History." This dog may not be suitable for your lifestyle ... no harm in that!

The first step in solving people issues is by making good choices for your dog ... not keeping him in "your home" maybe one of them ... I don't know?? Or of course find a better trainer, all the trainers I tend to follow ... start by training "Place." If the trainer you're considering ... has no idea what that is ... I'd lose them.

But "Place" looks like this.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Oh well ... welcome back aboard in anycase. :)

#3 ·
Sorry to hear about Oscar.
For what it's worth, here's my two cents.
I too adopted a 2 year old rescue, 1 year ago. He was a Foster to adopt from a high kill shelter in Quebec. I didn't know any history on him other than he was scared of thunderstorms and didn't like his paws touched ?...
The first night he got on the bed, I had never let my previous dogs ( not boxers) do that but felt so sorry for the state of him, however the next morning when I tried to get him off by pulling his collar, he snapped and snarled at me so badly that I spent the day crying, thinking I could not keep a dog that I was scared off but also I didn't want to condemn him either. He eventually got off but I was a mess. He then got on a couch that I didn't want him on and yes, I was too scared to get him off. I enticed him off by a treat, then it became a game between us,he would get on and of course get a treat to get off.
He also did not respond to his name, or much of anything I said to him for that matter, then I realized that maybe he was French speaking!
His next test was to see how he got along with our grandchildren....he was fine! Then our 2 grand dogs, a male and female, that went ok, he was actually a bit submissive.
I was feeling better about him now. Actually what I did do was feed him from my hand, thinking it would make him realize that I was the boss.
When I think back, it was a bit scary at times until I got to know him better, I realized he didn't like the dark very much and was frightened of closed in spaces. I took him for a walk everyday and kept the same routine all the time. Now he is a wonderful, loving dog, we couldn't have asked for a nicer one! He walks nicely on his leash but is reactive to other male dogs, barks, growls and boxes at them when on leash but as we live out in the country I can keep this to a minimum. When we are at our trailer, I am selective when and where I take him if others are walking their dogs.
Sorry if this is getting a bit long- winded but I just wanted to give you some hope to try and work with your rescue dog. It was a bit of work, to say the least but we love him to bits!!
We have had him one year this week and thunder doesn't bother him, neither handling his paws.

#4 · (Edited)
LOL ...naw "that" is not long winded, most likely for long winded ... webster would say ... Goggle chip18. :chair:

And yep you did make some mistakes which added more stress on you but you made "Good Choices for your dog" and bottom line is no one got hurt! You made good choices for your dog and ... as I used to say ... I still have my dog because I taught him to make good choices. Work with the dog in front of you and so you know the secret to success ultimately ... which took me many years to finally understand is "Walk Your Dog."

But walking him everyday keeping stressors out of his face dogs/kids or people. Helps him to center himself and look to you for guidance ... you were showing how you expect him to behave and to look to you for guidance ... first ... if crap came up, good job. :)

And yep the "this dog does not seem to know it's name" ... LOL yeah ... that's kinda sorta a Boxer thing I've found. Butt loads of patience required to be a "Boxer" owner. :)

#5 ·
I met guy last week in home depot. He had a boxer with him and of course we had to chat when I asked to pet his dog. He said please do and put the dog into a sit. He told me the dog was a rescue and that a month ago I could not have petted him nor wold the dog sit. His parents are long time boxer owners and when they came across this guy they rescued him. They were having problems handling him, the dog was so unmanageable and so he flew out and work with the dog for about a week and took him home with him. He told me he had trained service/police dogs in the past. The dog was on a e-collar. Two weeks earlier he said the dog was afraid of everything in the store, all the noises from carts and so many people walking around. The dog I saw was very well behaved, walked at the owners side and looked to him (the owner) for guidance on what he was to do. I absolutely loved this dog and he was so friendly. Talk about long winded I must have chatted 30 minutes with this guy, and he sold me on the use of e-collars too. LOL He even went on to explain how to feel the amount of vibration on the palm of your hand and that he didn't need much for this dog just tiny little pulse enough to get his attention. So I guess I am saying there are things you can do for your rescue to help him fit into your home but as Chip has said it is also possible he is not the right dog for your needs as he will require more training. And that is up to you the amount of time and circumstances your in. I really don't like the idea of someone thinking the dog may have to be PTS he came from a background where he was fine. Right now his life is upside down so he can develop changes in his behavior but he sounds like he was pretty solid. The choice will be yours of course whether or not your up to the challenge. Me I find rescue dogs a lot of work and would rather a puppy I can train but I applaud those who can rescue.

#10 ·
I met guy last week in home depot. He had a boxer with him and of course we had to chat when I asked to pet his dog. He said please do and put the dog into a sit. He told me the dog was a rescue and that a month ago I could not have petted him nor wold the dog sit. His parents are long time boxer owners and when they came across this guy they rescued him. They were having problems handling him, the dog was so unmanageable and so he flew out and work with the dog for about a week and took him home with him. He told me he had trained service/police dogs in the past. The dog was on a e-collar. Two weeks earlier he said the dog was afraid of everything in the store, all the noises from carts and so many people walking around. The dog I saw was very well behaved, walked at the owners side and looked to him (the owner) for guidance on what he was to do. I absolutely loved this dog and he was so friendly. Talk about long winded I must have chatted 30 minutes with this guy, and he sold me on the use of e-collars too. LOL He even went on to explain how to feel the amount of vibration on the palm of your hand and that he didn't need much for this dog just tiny little pulse enough to get his attention. So I guess I am saying there are things you can do for your rescue to help him fit into your home but as Chip has said it is also possible he is not the right dog for your needs as he will require more training. And that is up to you the amount of time and circumstances you're in. I really don't like the idea of someone thinking the dog may have to be PTS he came from a background where he was fine. Right now his life is upside down so he can develop changes in his behavior but he sounds like he was pretty solid. The choice will be yours of course whether or not you're up to the challenge. Me I find rescue dogs a lot of work and would rather a puppy I can train but I applaud those who can rescue.
THis is a good post but ... the E-Collar is not a "magic bullet" and I don't like throwing it out there with owners struggling with issues. It's not a "Magic Bullet" ... I term at the same as the "Headcollars" a "Checkbook Solution." It is not but that is how some are gonna view it. :(

That Boxer got lucky ... I have no doubt that "Guy was one of my "Competent Qualify Trainers" it sounds like a three week turn around?? And yep that can be done but not by "JQP" in my opinion??

Course you know there is always that guy and we had one here but he seems to be gone???

But I remember and that would be Smokie and the Bandit. :

He basically did what I said to him in a pm ... that most people could not do?? And he seems to be gone?? But don't blame me ... I did not give him any crap, I was duly impressed and I said so to him. :)

I kinda get the puppy thing ... I had no issues to speak of with my puppies?? And while Rocky was & months when I got him and appeared to have zero issues for "Seven Months" ... I feel that with him I got caught out by "Breed Specific" behaviours?? The loose structure that I had always allowed with my other dogs ... he took advantage of??? It just caught me off guard?? But that was on me. The OP's Boxer is just simply ... not what they were expecting to be there Boxer continuing Boxer experience??

Being surprised or disappointed in a dog, is not a crime. But letting some tool of a "trainer" pre-decide that the dog maybe need to be put down, sight unseen ... just may be?? No way in heck ... I'd like that guy/lady anywhere near a dog of mine!

And I'd be pretty sure they are not an E-Collar trainer also?? I have no details on that trainer but they sound like a "IF a cookie won't fix it ... "PTS" will ... that would be a "BoxerWorld Forum" mindset. I was on there for awhile as Gunther ... that did not work out to well. :)

#6 ·
Sorry Chip for the recent loss of your Rocky.
Thankyou for the kind words, I have to say that recommendations I found in some of your posts gave me the encouragement to try hard and make Leo into the wonderful dog he is now. He's not perfect but love, patience and consistency have worked wonders with him and yes, going for a walk is the best thing!!!!

#9 ·
Thank you for the kinds words. :)

It's been an adjustment living life without "Rocky" he was ... quite a learning experience! But what I learned from him I try and share with others.

In retrospect ... none of it was "actually" hard??? But yeah it took five packs a trip to the ER for my first stitches ever and blood running cold when he greeted company in our home with a "Cold Hard Stare and a low growl???" Not my Boxer and Bully experiences???

But we got it done and it done take force or coercion. When I stopped fighting and starting thinking ... we got it done. Step one I had to let it go ... step this is not your other dog, step three out think your dog ie adjust your expectation or you know let him go before ... he hurts someone! But you know ... not on my watch my dog my responsibility ... let's do this thing.

It actually took me many years to actually understand what I had done seemingly without effort?? No force no coercion (yank and crank) actually ironically enough Positive only! :)

I adjusted my expectations of what I could do with him if he was not a meet and greet uh everybody ... then so be it. And in retrospect after many years of searching I found Larry Krohn who explained to me ... what I had done.:

https://youtu.be/3pFDVEXygAQ

The only dog I had issues with ... is the only dog I did not Walk! I got him when we moved to NV ... open desert, exercise was easy, so you know ... why bother walking him ... live and learn. :)

So I suppose going forward I now share ... lessons learned from Rocky with others. :)

#7 ·
Is he actually trying to bite the people, or is it possible he's just wanting to put his face on or near their hand- possibly lick their hand?

Our boys will do this, put their mouth on your hand, but they will not bite (the older ones that is, Bandit the puppy is almost there). For this boxer coming from a family with kids, if he didn't have consistency, it's possible the kids thought it was funny or OK to make it a game for the boxer to try to get their hands or feet.

I understand when its a dog you don't know well that it's not a risk you want to take.
We were exposed to a boxer about 10 years who belonged to a friend of a friend. He was a fun hyper male brindle. The owner told us he was not aggressive or mean, but we were cautious of his growling when playing. After having my own fun grolwy hyper male brindle since he was a puppy, I feel bad for not understanding the other dog. He really was only talking and playing.

I'd see if you can get anymore information from the rescue or maybe talk directly with the family who let him go to ask their experience with people introduction or their opinion on what you've seen.

#8 ·
Boxers are kinda well insane noisy and boisterous and there style of play can kinda freak people out ... no doubt.

And as they say ... "all the freaking time" on GSDForum ... we can't see your dog??? Still this is not the OP first Boxer so they have some idea of what they should see??

And this dog is not exhibiting the right behaviour with people ... which in my experience is "I like everybody" that was "Struddell" and my American Band Dawg." If one does not see that, then one does not have a "Please Do" to may I pet. With a non-please Do, to may I pet dog, it's up to the owner to make people choices for the Dog.

I don't think a people friendly dog is that hard to see??? My fresh of the street Pitty Rescue, was one of those I luv people/everybody dogs! Easy to see ... no hesitation ... nothing to think about, she luv'd people! (I'd had her for hours not years her luv for people ... was easy to see. :)

But if the OP has seen "something" in this dog's behaviour that makes them feel "uncomfortable" with this dog's behavior around people ... good enough. If the OP is not willing to change their expectations of what they want to do with "this dog?" If they want to shape this square peg dog to fit into their round peg lifestyle?? Good enough "hire a competent qualified trainer," that is experienced in dealing with dogs with aggression issues.

Speaking for myself ... if a member says there dog has "people issues" good enough for me ... I take them at their word and proceed from there with my ... proven zero bite risk policy. :)

I don't find it to be that hard but ... it does require a change in expectations and a change in lifestyle and yeah every stranger encounter is a "negotiation." Sometimes yes, sometimes No ...it depends on my mood and by and large with Rocky (my OS Wl GSD) it was easier to say "NO then Yes" to may I pet and sometimes saying"No" broke my heart. :(

But in the end he was happy by being with me and he never bit a single stranger. Good enough so we did good.

Pro's have lots of paid volunteers to proof their work. JQP ... not so much???

But you know crap happens and most likely if not for a member of JQP volunteering to proof my work ... I'd most likely "Never" have allowed a single stranger to every "Pet Rocky" my first "Bubble Dog" a dog that needs to be muzzled for a while to be safe in public.

But Rocky's first ever stranger meet and greet is here.:
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - e-collar advice

Had it not been for that "guy" most likely .. I'd have never allowed anyone to ever pet Rocky?? As it was he did meet and greet a lot of strangers but every encounter was a ... negotiation.

I found life with "Rocky" to be a responsibility that I was willing to take on. It was not what I was expecting but you know whatever. It worked out well in the long run. :)

For the OP it's hire a "Competent Qualified Trainer" to "mold your dog to your expectations" or on your own you can "change your expectations to suit the dog."

But if they don't like either of those options ... then return the dog and add their observations. The dog has No bite history at the moment, ... good enough no harm no foul. Maybe this is simply a quiet lifestyle, no constant drop ins kinda dog?? Most likely ... pretty disappointing behaviour for "Boxer" but you know ... "Crap Happens." :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.